Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sleeping rather than Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past I've set scheduled charging and it's worked, but I don't know if I plugged in while the controlled load was on or not.

FWIW, I've used scheduled charging on a controlled load circuit without issue* since taking delivery. I've never had to plug in while the circuit was active to ensure that the car woke up to charge.

* the only issue I had was in the first few days when I set scheduled charging too early, and it presumably triggered before the controlled load circuit was active and then the car went back to sleep. Is there any chance this is what people are experiencing?

Reactions: HighlyCharged
Scheduled charging should wake up the car. Just need to have a reasonably regular off-peak power schedule so you can trust it to come on half an hour or so before the scheduled charge. It's a workaround, but Tesla really need to fix this fast...
Maybe, I am now using TeslaFi which is keeping the car awake, and I can see the charging in the last 3 days has been starting random times 1:20am, 1:40am and 1:58am (seems like daylight saving has meant its starting quite late), I had been setting the car scheduled charging to start at 1am, so the car may well have gone to sleep before the power was getting applied in the days I tried scheduled charging.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
MyEnergi posted this on facebook about an hour ago. I'll have a play with it tomorrow and see if it is fixed:

Model 3 Charging 2020.24.6.4.png

Looking good.

Just watched my Model 3 (2020.24.6.9) wakeup from sleep and start charging after reapplying power to my Tesla Wall Connector. You need to be a little patient as the TWC appears to have a random start delay (Similar to air conditioners, so if the power goes out, all the chargers don't switch back on at the same time)

So you should now be able to connect TWCs to off peak controlled load circuits.

Looking good.

Just watched my Model 3 (2020.24.6.9) wakeup from sleep and start charging after reapplying power to my Tesla Wall Connector. You need to be a little patient as the TWC appears to have a random start delay (Similar to air conditioners, so if the power goes out, all the chargers don't switch back on at the same time)

So you should now be able to connect TWCs to off peak controlled load circuits.
I have now got FW version 2020.24.6.9, and I turned off all of my Teslafi wake commands, and yes, at 1:02AM this morning the car woke up, and at 1:03AM it started charging. So much better. It will mean I will get that bit extra charging each night, as before I would wake it each hour, but as the charging is a random start, sometimes the car would go back to sleep just as the controlled load circuit powered on.

I have now got FW version 2020.24.6.9, and I turned off all of my Teslafi wake commands, and yes, at 1:02AM this morning the car woke up, and at 1:03AM it started charging. So much better. It will mean I will get that bit extra charging each night, as before I would wake it each hour, but as the charging is a random start, sometimes the car would go back to sleep just as the controlled load circuit powered on.
I have a security switch next to my charger so I will try next time to turn off my switch in advance.
My car is scheduled to start charging at 12 am, so I will try to wait until 12:30 am
and then I will turn the security switch on, while my car will be sleeping.

I am curious to see if I have the same issue, because sometime I have power failure
and I wonder if the car will be able to start charging later on when the power get reestablished and the car is sleeping?

Note: If your charging problem cannot be solved and if you absolutely need to have your car charged for the next day
I was thinking the following solution:

Using a Relay, you could have your plug connected either:
- to the all the day active line (by default)
- or to the night only active line (when the Relay receive power at night),​
so your Tesla plug will always see some voltage when waking up at 1:00 am.​

Additional comments:
I assume that a 15 A Relay should not be expensive.
And I assume that building a special "extension cord" would not be too difficult for you to build.
You might have to pay at the beginning of charging the full price of electricity if the night power came late.
I tested to turn on and off in middle of charging and the car was able to restart charging, but the car was awake.​

I’d suggest switching to Amber Electric. I pay what’s basically J tariff all night and most of the day. It got disturbingly expensive some evenings a few weeks back when there was absolutely no wind, but I wouldn’t charge during those hours anyway.

Another happy Amber customer here. Its working well - my Model 3 is the biggest load by far and I can shift charging to when prices are cheaper. Some periods, prices can even go negative.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Using a Relay, you could have your plug connected either:
- to the all the day active line (by default)
- or to the night only active line (when the Relay receive power at night),

The electrician who connected up my HPWC said that this arrangement was illegal (I suggested to him the same thing, in order to have 24/7 availability and cheap power at night).
Can't imagine why it is illegal, as I'm not stealing power, but there you are. (This is in Qld, other states may have slight differences)

The electrician who connected up my HPWC said that this arrangement was illegal (I suggested to him the same thing, in order to have 24/7 availability and cheap power at night).
Can't imagine why it is illegal, as I'm not stealing power, but there you are. (This is in Qld, other states may have slight differences)

I don't know about illegal, but certainly a breach of your service terms with the utility. If they let you do that then people could do the same thing with basically every load they have, which would entirely defeat the point of the offpeak tariff which is to encourage load shifting to the times when the power is cheaper for the utility. Remember that the traditional all day tariffs made you pay more at night, but they shielded you somewhat from the full cost of peak power as well.

If you want 'cheap power at night, 24/7 availability' then they do have tariffs that support that - Time Of Use metering.

Probably more like "it would be illegal for me as a licenced electrician to wire it that way".

When I looked into it, the service contract for controlled loads said they had to be wired in permanently.

Anyway, anyone charging an EV at home should look seriously into the TOU tariff available from their utility (if they don't want to go the whole way with floating market-priced electricity, a la the Amber Electric offer mentioned above!).