Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s be nice. Posting “downloading now” is the TMC variant to “posting Me Too! like some brain dead AOLer”. (to quote Weird Al from It’s All About the Pentiums) :)

You're in Kansas so are you sure you don't want to know when someone outside Cali gets an update (who doesn't already have Sentry mode). That's not really a me too when TeslaFi only shows 2/75 installs being owners outside of Cali. I only know that because I subscribed to TeslaFi.

It seems to be that this isn't a wide release, but a validation/verification version that's been largely limited to Cali. They know it has a showstopper bug (the lack of blindspot chime), but they're continuing to release it as they care more evaluating the effectiveness of Sentry Mode in the conflict zone.

Personally I think people are too excited not to post a variant of me too. So I don't really mind personally. My scroll speed is set to high.

What I'm hoping someone will post is three camera youtube videos. Where they go through whatever process is needed to upload the dash cam videos in a way that allows the viewer to look left, forwards, right. If people are going to be posting "Me too" they might as well make themselves useful. :p

Last edited:
Let’s be nice. Posting “downloading now” is the TMC variant to “posting Me Too! like some brain dead AOLer”. (to quote Weird Al from It’s All About the Pentiums) :)
Hey! That remark kinda resembles me! I've had my AOL account since... well, sometime in the early '90s before Eternal September (look it up for those who weren't even alive then). I'm 62 and not brain dead (yet). It's still my main email address.

As far as getting the 2015.5.x update, I'm still waiting for it. Maybe it's time to bug the SC and ask for a push.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Let's analyze this for a second, I know in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, nobody cares about truth they just care about what they can spew on the internet (case in point, the autopilot jail thread, one guy suggested that we shouldn't inject facts, just trick people into dancing around the car). We're calling this a rolling release, where Tesla sends out to the fleet at large, let's say 10-15% of the fleet in batches. They keep this up until everyone gets the release, or they stop and restart once they fix any last minute bugs. This is what is currently happening with Model S/X and version 2019.4.2. Now look at Model 3 with the 2019.5.x "rollout". A random selection of all Model 3 owners, which just happens to all be "randomly" selected in California, especially those updated to 2019.5.4 updated today. Plus looking at YouTube, somehow this group of people just magically and randomly received the update, just in time for press. This group comprises less than 2% of the total Model 3 fleet (the percent average from TeslaFi is a good marker regarding the entire fleet, even though they don't include everyone, we're talking averages here). What you're saying is that Tesla changed how they do rolling releases with the Tesla Model 3 and now send it out in 1-2% batches.

Does it really matter? Not really, we all have to wait anyways, and I guess Tesla can do no wrong. Is 2019.5.x released like people are saying? It's released to testers. I'd like to see somewhere, anywhere where non testers have the features and are posting about them, but it can't be done because it's not in general release. It's a great feature for a great car (I love my Model 3), but it's been touted as already in our vehicles protecting us which it is not and may not be for weeks to come given the reported bugs. Heck, I'd sign-up for the beta if I could but you can't, you can't even request releases. Anyways, go forth and believe whatever you want. I'll keep watching the same 1.8% of the Model 3 fleet getting each bug fix during the beta test, and then suddenly hundreds of updates will happen and the percent install base will change in batches signaling a rolling release to the public. It's not like people believe in facts anyways nowadays, so carry on.

You’re entirely misunderstanding how software deployments work. First of all, the % doesn’t matter. We determine how many to roll things out to based on the sample size needed to get statistically significant data back. I am sure Tesla does the same. There are a lot more Model 3s than Xs or Ss, so if you need 10,000 to get the necessary data, you only need a smaller % rollout. Further, one kind of release may require a larger sample to get adequate measurements. This is done using math, and what we call statistical power calculations. They tell us “in order to an N% change in metric A, you need X number of devices/cars/whatever for Y days”. It won’t be the same for every update.

If you find a problem and stop the rollout, that doesn’t retroactively mean what you’ve done so far was a “beta”, it just means you learned something new and took an appropriate action.

Show stopper how? No one with previous versions has chimes and the show did not stop. We are all still driving. A show stopper bug would be an EAP bug that drove people into concrete lane dividers.

On the previous versions it wasn't an advertised feature.
On this version it's an advertised feature.

At the very least they have to do a rev to pull it from the release notes. You can't have something that doesn't work on the release notes.

You’re entirely misunderstanding how software deployments work. First of all, the % doesn’t matter. We determine how many to roll things out to based on the sample size needed to get statistically significant data back. I am sure Tesla does the same. There are a lot more Model 3s than Xs or Ss, so if you need 10,000 to get the necessary data, you only need a smaller % rollout. Further, one kind of release may require a larger sample to get adequate measurements. This is done using math, and what we call statistical power calculations. They tell us “in order to an N% change in metric A, you need X number of devices/cars/whatever for Y days”. It won’t be the same for every update.

If you find a problem and stop the rollout, that doesn’t retroactively mean what you’ve done so far was a “beta”, it just means you learned something new and took an appropriate action.

I've been a Tesla owner since 2015, and an update has never been like this.

In previous times it has followed exactly like you said. A few releases of small sizes followed by much larger releases. This time there is so much of an emphasis on California that it's indicative of something else going on.

As of this writing around 4.4% of the entire TeslaFi Model 3 fleet has 2019.5.4. But, the TeslaFI fleet has cars that exist outside of the US and I believe the release is limited to the US for now. I'm assuming the Canadians complaining about the lack of Sentry mode is correct.

So that means the percentage is actually much, much higher for California. I tried figuring out how many California Model 3 cars are active on TeslaFI, but I can't find it.

But, we can reasonably ballpark it at around 25% as Tesla sold more Model 3's in California than anywhere else. So that means Tesla has around a 20% install rate of Sentry Mode in California. That's an awful lot of cars for a software development effort (to look for bugs, etc).

It's too early to tell if its been officially released in California (in an incomplete form) or they simply needed a LARGE sample size to get adequate measurement.

Having so many means Tesla is risking people having alarms going off, and the car getting a bad reputation. If there isn't enough then they under sample. I think it's important to emphasize that this feature is likely nowhere near as easy to implement (correctly) as it might seem. Like right now I believe you have to pull the stick to review footage if the alarm goes off. So at some point the video sample needs to be part of the push notification. Like my porch security camera does when it detects a human in my backyard.

I am not in the early access program, but I received 2019.5.3 over the weekend and received 2019.5.4 this morning. It looks like the closing of the trunk no longer sets off the Sentry Mode alarm as it did before. The blind spot chime seems to only go off when you are in the process of changing lanes while a car is in your blind spot. That is what I noticed in 2019.5.3, and it seems the same way in 2019.5.4. I think it should alert you even before starting the lane change.
That would drive everyone batty. It should only chime if you start to change lanes and something is in your blind spot. Think about it. If what you suggest happened it would chime almost constantly on a freeway.

That would drive everyone batty. It should only chime if you start to change lanes and something is in your blind spot. Think about it. If what you suggest happened it would chime almost constantly on a freeway.
We are on the same page but also in the minority..... I don’t want beeping sounds from my car unless I am doing something wrong. And signaling that I wish to be in a lane is not wrong.

Taking your foot off the brake doesn’t automatically trigger a forward collision chime.... (ok actually in Las Vegas taxi cabs with the mandatory MobilEye cams it does, but that’s beside the point)

We are on the same page but also in the minority..... I don’t want beeping sounds from my car unless I am doing something wrong. And signaling that I wish to be in a lane is not wrong.

Taking your foot off the brake doesn’t automatically trigger a forward collision chime.... (ok actually in Las Vegas taxi cabs with the mandatory MobilEye cams it does, but that’s beside the point)

changing lanes isn't wrong, but swerving into contact is. Since Tesla didn't give us the LEDs on the inside of the mirror housings like Audi, I'm ok with it beeping to tell me there's something in my blind spot.

Except in unusual situations I would never routinely turn my blinker on if there wasn't room to actually change lanes. There is nothing worse then watching someone put on their blinker while they are changing lanes instead turning the blinker on and waiting for 2-3 seconds before changing lanes. Unfortunately that is how many drivers routinely use blinkers. Drives me crazy! I drive in Boston rush hour traffic so have plenty of experience with aggressive traffic. Been driving 50 years and have a perfect driving record which has to account for something:)

It should go off when you turn your signal on, before you start to change lanes.[/QUOTED]
Agree which is exactly how my wife's car works.

• Disagree
Reactions: Deraillor

When I'm driving I quite often will put my turn signal on a little before I'm planning to change lanes and quite often there are people in the lane I plan to go into. Just because they are in my blind spot doesn't mean I don't know they are there. I do want it to chime if I start to change lanes but I don't want it chiming everytime someone is there even if I have my signal on. Not sure how it's going to work but I suspect I will get used to it either way.

When I'm driving I quite often will put my turn signal on a little before I'm planning to change lanes and quite often there are people in the lane I plan to go into. Just because they are in my blind spot doesn't mean I don't know they are there. I do want it to chime if I start to change lanes but I don't want it chiming everytime someone is there even if I have my signal on. Not sure how it's going to work but I suspect I will get used to it either way.

"Quite often you turn on your signals a little before". Really! You're always supposed to turn on your blinkers before you actually change lanes. If you put on blinkers while your changing lanes why do you even bother? Now I grant you that waiting 5 seconds may not be realistic but waiting at least 3 is doable.

California Driver Handbook - Safe Driving Practices
Signaling

During the last 100 feet before reaching the turning point (left or right turn).
  • Before every lane change. Check your mirrors, look over your shoulder, and check your blind spot before changing lanes.
  • At least 5 seconds before you change lanes on a freeway.
California Driver Handbook - Safe Driving Practices

Last edited:

Tesla is implementing it to be optional.

So you can simply leave it off.

Some people like myself are okay with the beep because we have no issues ignoring it when we know why it's being dumb. I live in a state full of crazy people who don't use their lights at night. So I'd rather have the car blink at me than do nothing. There is no indicator in the mirror so I want some kind of feedback. I'm not going to glance at the LCD every time I initiate a lane change. In my observations so far it seems like the 360 degree visualization picks up vehicles without their lights on just fine at night.

I can certainly understand the chime driving some people batty. I turned off the Lane departure chime because it's incredibly annoying. When I drive my moms Subaru it beeps at me so much that I have no idea how to interpret one beep from the next.

"Quite often you turn on your signals a little before". Really! You're always supposed to turn on your blinkers before you actually change lanes. If you put on blinkers while your changing lanes why do you even bother putting your blinkers on?

I'm confused.

They said a little before

A little before is 2-3 seconds.

The implementation that Tesla has will allow for both camps of people to have what they want. The current system only beeps when you start the lane change into someone.

The additional option will allow it to beep when you hit the turn signal before making the lane change. But, this feature is optional as I understand it. If it's not optional then yeah it will drive some people batty.

Got 5.4 today, but haven’t had a chance to play with it. Interestingly the iOS app updated to 3.8.2 today and Sentry Mode has a toggle under ‘Controls’. Hadn’t seen this mentioned yet, perhaps I missed it.

E4F1AF00-AFAF-45A6-94B9-8E72D884BF44.png

Got 5.4 today, but haven’t had a chance to play with it. Interestingly the iOS app updated to 3.8.2 today and Sentry Mode has a toggle under ‘Controls’. Hadn’t seen this mentioned yet, perhaps I missed it.

I'm glad it does since if it was me I'd forget to set it, and then while I was far away from my vehicle it would dawn on me that I forgot to turn on Sentry mode.