Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How accurate is this table? I am on 2018.50.6, one of 15 M3s of the entire fleet. I will wait for the 2019 code, just curious why mine and the other 14 cars wouldn't get the 50.7 release.

Heh, welcome to Tesla ownership, where you’ll constantly be waiting for and wondering why you don’t have the latest update yet. Most of us, including myself, are still on 2018.50.6. That table is incorrect, the ~1600 number should be for version 2018.50.6. From the data available here, TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker, 2018.50.7 was only for the S and the X with no reported installs on a 3 that I’ve seen posted anywhere. And even if the numbers were accurate, it’s not from the entire fleet, just however many are reporting to whichever service (probably TeslaFi based on the numbers alone) that data came from.

Basically, just hold tight and wait. We’re all anxious for the latest version and Tesla will release it when they’ve decided it’s ready for wide deployment. And even when they open the floodgates it can sometimes take weeks for a new update to reach a majority of the fleet.

Reactions: C141medic
I need to get a bigger USB drive. In sentry mode, the car saves 5 minutes of video for all 3 cameras every time someone walks by your car in the “zone”. I tried it at the mall for 1.5 hours, and had 8 different “saves” from people pulling in beside me, walking by, etc.. Gonna fill up pretty quick if you use this mode often!

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
I need to get a bigger USB drive. In sentry mode, the car saves 5 minutes of video for all 3 cameras every time someone walks by your car in the “zone”. I tried it at the mall for 1.5 hours, and had 8 different “saves” from people pulling in beside me, walking by, etc.. Gonna fill up pretty quick if you use this mode often!

How large of a drive are you using right now?

Do you have the ability to view/delete from the car?

It appears that 2019.5.3 has stopped being released before going out widely... curious if they're waiting for more feedback, or if we'll see 2019.5.4 appear shortly (or perhaps 2019.6+.0?)

It appears that 2019.5.3 has stopped being released before going out widely... curious if they're waiting for more feedback, or if we'll see 2019.5.4 appear shortly (or perhaps 2019.6+.0?)
Probably got all the feedback they need from it, and decided it wasn't ready for prime time yet. I've been using the Sentry Mode as much as I can since I got it, so hopefully that's the feedback they needed.

Interesting, Tesla said Sentry mode was released, all the YouTubers are touting this as released, yet only a handful of people seem to have... a beta test... mmm, perhaps people should be more accurate and announce this is not released, but a beta sent out to beta testers and it will be coming in the future? Otherwise, people's expectations are that the car has these features, and per Teslafi less than 2% (of those tracked) even have the beta release. It looks like 2019.4.2 is being rolled out to Model S and X today in Europe, though not sure if that has Sentry mode.

Nope, no way to view the files, delete them, or play them back from the car itself. Perhaps that functionality will come later, who knows.

Yeah we'll likely see 2019.5.4 or greater start to hit a few 3's sometime this week.

Interesting, Tesla said Sentry mode was released, all the YouTubers are touting this as released, yet only a handful of people seem to have... a beta test... mmm, perhaps people should be more accurate and announce this is not released, but a beta sent out to beta testers and it will be coming in the future? Otherwise, people's expectations are that the car has these features, and per Teslafi less than 2% (of those tracked) even have the beta release. It looks like 2019.4.2 is being rolled out to Model S and X today in Europe, though not sure if that has Sentry mode.

Even when it starts seeing a wide deployment it could take weeks before a majority of 3's on the road have it.

It's released, with limited penetration. The reason they slow roll these things is exactly for what we are seeing now. They get the feedback from 2019.5.2 and make changes and release 2019.5.3. Rinse and repeat until they feel it doesn't have significant issues. That is likely why 2019.5.4 has halted, so they can fix the next set of issues. Then they'll increase the population.

I'd call that a beta test. I love Tesla and my Model 3, but you can't say it was released two weeks ago when less than 2% of the owners have the release and they keep stopping and releasing new ones. That's called a beta test. That's fine, just be upfront and honest about it. We'll all wait, but when you say it's released then that's just not the truth. It was like when they told me my Model 3 was going to arrive, then hours before they say a lie then give me the next day, then the next, then ignore calls. Honest, open communication is the hallmark of a good company and Tesla needs to learn that.

Reactions: Moeshorzon
I'd call that a beta test. I love Tesla and my Model 3, but you can't say it was released two weeks ago when less than 2% of the owners have the release and they keep stopping and releasing new ones. That's called a beta test. That's fine, just be upfront and honest about it. We'll all wait, but when you say it's released then that's just not the truth. It was like when they told me my Model 3 was going to arrive, then hours before they say a lie then give me the next day, then the next, then ignore calls. Honest, open communication is the hallmark of a good company and Tesla needs to learn that.

In this case, perhaps it is a good thing they did not announce the limited release as potential thieves will think it was already released fleet wide, thus deterring them from breaking into more Teslas.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
In this case, perhaps it is a good thing they did not announce the limited release as potential thieves will think it was already released fleet wide, thus deterring them from breaking into more Teslas.

Because it is so hard to determine if it is active on a particular car? :rolleyes: Just walking up to a car will tell them if it is "safe" to break into it or not. So it actually makes cars more vulnerable. (Since you have to remember to dig through the menus and enable it every time you park, and that is assuming you have got the update that contains it already.)

Because it is so hard to determine if it is active on a particular car? :rolleyes: Just walking up to a car will tell them if it is "safe" to break into it or not. So it actually makes cars more vulnerable. (Since you have to remember to dig through the menus and enable it every time you park, and that is assuming you have got the update that contains it already.)
Good point. Now they need to add a Faux Sentry Mode so all cars can pretend Sentry Mode is running! o_O I bet Tesla could even get that working on AP1, AP2 and non-AP cars!

Of course thieves could probably identify AP1 and non-AP cars...but AP2 cars might be "safer". I guess they could start doing VIN checks next to render Faux Sentry Mode useless! :eek:

Reactions: BrandonLive
Good point. Now they need to add a Faux Sentry Mode so all cars can pretend Sentry Mode is running! o_O I bet Tesla could even get that working on AP1, AP2 and non-AP cars!

Of course thieves could probably identify AP1 and non-AP cars...but AP2 cars might be "safer". I guess they could start doing VIN checks next to render Faux Sentry Mode useless! :eek:

Just paint a big red ball on a transparent film and static stick it on the screen when leaving the car! :p

I think their intent when 2019.whatever came out that was due for wide release but they obviously starting seeing fringe issues with the releases and stopped the wide release. They have made similar claims in the past and typically they would have the wide release fairly quickly while occasionally they would need to stop some releases.

I don't think they are doing beta testing now and announcing it is a wide release.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I'd call that a beta test.
Well, in that case I guess we're in a permanent beta test, given that there will probably never be a final version. ;) What Tesla is doing seems quite similar to the CD (continuous development) model of software development. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for a car.

FWIW, I haven't noticed any glaring bugs in 2019.5.3 so far, but I haven't really used the new features yet beyond playing around a bit. One small thing I noticed is that the little car avatars around me on the screen seem less "wiggly" than before.

FWIW, I haven't noticed any glaring bugs in 2019.5.3 so far, but I haven't really used the new features yet beyond playing around a bit. One small thing I noticed is that the little car avatars around me on the screen seem less "wiggly" than before.

Regarding the "little car avatars" on the screen, except for the ones next to me and behind me the others in front of the car are worthless and serve no purpose that I can think of. Sure they can be cool and a great talking point for passengers but beyond that I don't pay attention to them.
My guess is the only reason they have significant screen real estate in front of the car is to allow for the upcoming display of stop signs and street lights so you'll be able to tell before you get to the intersection if FSD recognizes them.
How else will you know to take over if? When I approach an intersection with a stop sign or light I want the display to provide a visual indicator FSD "sees" them.

"Teslafi" does not represent all or even most or even half Model 3 owners, so saying "less than 2 percent" is not accurate if the point is to complain about how wide the release is. We dont know.