Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 5.4, I've noticed a lot of "phantom" braking during AP - the car is thinking the car in an adjacent lane is drifting into my lane (when in fact they are just close to my lane) and then suddenly brakes. 50.6 added this drifting awareness but required the car to be aggressively switching lanes - 2019.5.4 increased its sensitivity so it now can happen if the car is just hugging the lane next to you. Happened twice on a 10 mi drive to work this morning. This is a huge bug/unwanted change. Its dangerous if someone is driving close behind me and its really jarring.

Another bug they likely paused the 5.4 rollout for.

Yeah never been so scared to use AP before. I really hope this gets addressed in the next release.

Yeah never been so scared to use AP before. I really hope this gets addressed in the next release.

I agree, I'm a bit more hestitant to use AP when Im in the HOV lane and slower cars are adjacent of me. Also, definitely can't use AP with my fiance in the car anymore until this is addressed. She already hates the stop and go abruptness of AP, although its gotten a lot better the past few updates.

Don't forget to bug report when a phantom brake or unnecessary brake happens!

Last edited:
It can.

Now we just need to be able to view the video clips from the app (and also be able to delete the uneventful incidents remotely). Would be great but not holding my breadth for it.

Yeah for sure. I think people were asking to be able to initiate it from the app when it first came out. Was this functionality there the whole time or added in the past few days?

Ok. I am probably going to open a hornets nest here, but here goes anyway. I took my car into my local service center because I have the "car fully shuts down too often" issue that some are complaining about on their model 3s. A few here have said they got it fixed by the service center replacing the computer, and I was trying to get my local SC to do that as well.

They gave me the standard answer of " this is supposed to be fixed in firmware 5.4" and I politely pushed back a bit that "next firmware" is a somewhat standard answer, so could you please check it out?"

They agreed, took the car for a day and half, when I got it back the SC told me that they got "approval from the engineering team to install 5.4", and in our testing that seems to have resolved the issue.

So, I have Firmware 5.4 (not 5.1.4) (and it does seem to have resolved both the "always fully shut down" issue and the "slow wake from the app" issue). It used to take 45 seconds to 1 minute for me to open connect to the car from the tesla app, and many times it would time out and I would have to do it again (this is with the car in my garage with a wifi access point within about 20 feet of it). when I got home after they installed this firmware, I can access the car through the app in about 10 seconds, and when I go out to the car it does not always start with the "tesla T" logo like it did before.

I say this hesitantly, because I am afraid that many people here will rush to their SC and say "I want 5.4 too, I have that problem!".