Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 2019.5.x update only for Teslas with autopilot software activated? My Model 3 has the hardware for autopilot but not the software because I have not purchased it yet. So I was wondering if my car will get this update?

It should... I have a co worker that has a Mid Range model without active autopilot, and he got the update a couple of days ago.

It was initially only going out to 3’s in California but they started pushing it to the rest of the US a few days ago. However the deployment has stopped again most likely due to newly discovered bugs that Tesla wants to fix before resuming. Most Model 3’s out there are still on 2018.50.6. You’ll get the update eventually, just gotta be patient.
It's hard being patient when I live in CA and people I know already have sentry mode and I still have to resort to keeping my back seats down so people will be less likely to smash my windows.

It's hard being patient when I live in CA and people I know already have sentry mode and I still have to resort to keeping my back seats down so people will be less likely to smash my windows.

And it's also easy for me to tell people to be patient even though I am one of the lucky ones already on 2019.5.4. We really need a request latest update feature in the car.

In 5.4, I've noticed a lot of "phantom" braking during AP - the car is thinking the car in an adjacent lane is drifting into my lane (when in fact they are just close to my lane) and then suddenly brakes. 50.6 added this drifting awareness but required the car to be aggressively switching lanes - 2019.5.4 increased its sensitivity so it now can happen if the car is just hugging the lane next to you. Happened twice on a 10 mi drive to work this morning. This is a huge bug/unwanted change. Its dangerous if someone is driving close behind me and its really jarring.

Another bug they likely paused the 5.4 rollout for.

Not sure if it was a fluke or if this was mentioned already, but when I preheated the car from the app this morning only the driver seat warmer turned on (to the setting I had it on when I parked the car).

I’m noticing this as well. Only had the drivers seat heater at maximum last night and I just turned the heating on in my car and it remembered the settings. None of the rear seats turned on. I’m going to test this again when I get to work to confirm.

My experience suggests that it chooses how many seats to turn on based on how cold it is. If it's very cold, it uses all the seat heaters (to more efficiently heat the cabin), but if it's more mild out, it only uses the driver's seat (knowing the cabin temp will stabilize more quickly.)

I don't have a big enough sample set to be sure if this is the case or not.

We really need a request latest update feature in the car.

Oh God. I hope that's never a feature. Imagine everyone obsessively tapping on "CHECK FOR UPDATE" for hours on end when word of a new update gets out. Egads.

I'll be glad when this feature is available - and Elon has tweeted that it is coming.

It's important to people like me. My normal (assigned) overnight garage parking spot does not have WiFi. I need to intentionally park elsewhere to have WiFi to get updates, so I'd like to be able to tell the car when to pull them.

In 5.4, I've noticed a lot of "phantom" braking during AP - the car is thinking the car in an adjacent lane is drifting into my lane (when in fact they are just close to my lane) and then suddenly brakes. 50.6 added this drifting awareness but required the car to be aggressively switching lanes - 2019.5.4 increased its sensitivity so it now can happen if the car is just hugging the lane next to you. Happened twice on a 10 mi drive to work this morning. This is a huge bug/unwanted change. Its dangerous if someone is driving close behind me and its really jarring.

I think I see the same thing too. Little tiny tap on the brake when the side lanes in front are crowded. It's like a nervous first time driver on the freeway.... "look there are lots of cars in front.. are they going to drift into my lane? I better slow down..."

This happened to me last night but the car next to me had actually crossed the lane into mine and EAP braked appropriate and moved slightly to the right before I could react. So in my case reacted perfectly.
No other phantom breaking in 100 miles of highway driving.

I think I see the same thing too. Little tiny tap on the brake when the side lanes in front are crowded. It's like a nervous first time driver on the freeway.... "look there are lots of cars in front.. are they going to drift into my lane? I better slow down..."

Make sure to bug report these incidents!

This happened to me last night but the car next to me had actually crossed the lane into mine and EAP braked appropriate and moved slightly to the right before I could react. So in my case reacted perfectly.
No other phantom breaking in 100 miles of highway driving.

Its good that it happens when the car actually crosses the lane, but during rush hour traffic, its really bad especially if youre going much faster in the HOV lane and you suddenly brake because it thinks theres a drifter.

I don't think so.........I still have 2018.50.6 and it does the same thing you are describing. But it seems to happen more often if you are going around a curve on the interstate, which makes sense because the car in the lane adjacent to you could actually be in front of your sensors due to the curve.

You are hopefully benefiting from the inoculation effect (herd immunity) of other owners with the features starting to deter thieves.

Yeah. Even the older Tesla would benefit from it too. Most people can't tell a 2013 Model S from a 2019. The other day I was telling my wife (she drives a X) that a Model S we saw was an older one. She asked "How do you know...? It looks new to me." "It has a nose cone!"

Yeah. Even the older Tesla would benefit from it too. Most people can't tell a 2013 Model S from a 2019. The other day I was telling my wife (she drives a X) that a Model S we saw was an older one. She asked "How do you know...? It looks new to me." "It has a nose cone!"
I spoke to online chat, they said I am schedule for next week software update? based on the VIN I gave to him. funny.

Same here. I haven't experienced any hard brakes yet, but the autopilot definitely "taps the brake" where it previously didn't even if there is plenty or room in my lane. It feels more uneven.

I don't think so.........I still have 2018.50.6 and it does the same thing you are describing. But it seems to happen more often if you are going around a curve on the interstate, which makes sense because the car in the lane adjacent to you could actually be in front of your sensors due to the curve.

These phantom brakes happened on straight highway. I would wait until you get 5.4 and then you can be the judge on whether or not the sensitivity has increased on drift braking. As I stated in my post, I know 50.6 introduced this but it actually worked well to preemptively know when a car was going to change lanes. Now it is ultra aggressive.