Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still on v2018.50.6. Anyone else still on this version? Being 2018, thinking I’m behind the curve

Most of us are in that boat. Teslafi's numbers, based on people who signed up for reporting:
2018.50.6 Model 3 - 1457
2019.5.4 Model 3 - 322
2019.5.15 Model 3 - 49

And a smattering of cars at other patch levels. They've gone through 15 revisions of 2019.5 already, which means they keep finding things to fix, or that they're not happy with, but they haven't done a full release yet, which is clear because most of us as still on 50.6 from last year.

Just recently it started so close to my target SoC that it finished after about three minutes. Hopefully that won't stress the battery unduly.

Frequent charging is not bad for this kind of battery. Small frequent charges are likely to be less stressful.

If you want to maximize how long your battery is in good services and minimize degradation, consider setting your target to 70%, and letting it charge frequently - and only bump it up high when you know you're going to be travelling far and needing more range.

I updated yesterday to 2019.5.15. I charged to 100% and only get 309 miles.

Are you AWD, or rear? The increase is only for rear wheel drive (and only for Long Range batts). All of us AWD people have been getting the expected mileage (rated 310), but rear wheel drive has been doing a little better (hence the increase in rating/listed figure. No actual change in battery charge or driving range.)

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer
Yes, LR RWD. I should have mentioned that. I'm wondering if my battery is out of balance. I think I will run it down to under 20% this week and then try to charge to full. I only drive 40 miles each day and usually charge to 80%. I purchased the car in July 2018 and have only charged to full maybe 5 times.

2019.5.15 appears to include the reported range boost for the RWD LR Model 3. I’ve seen no reports so far of any evidence of the slight peak power increase though.
While there may be a top speed increase, I just wonder whether acceleration will be adversely effected in order to achieve the the mileage range increase. The only other way of increasing the milage range would be to charge the battery more, which wold be harder on the battery in the long run, were you to do fully charge too often. But even without fully charging, should the official 90 percent routine charging recommendation, be lowered somewhat, if indeed, the battery is more charged now at 90 percent than it was before the software change?

I just did a 100% charge (perhaps my second ever since getting the car in May 2018), and I have 318 miles range showing.

charge-compl.png

What software version are you on?

Yep, range went up some for me when I got 2019.5.15
But not quite seeing the 325
Maybe that only applies to brand new cars?
Or maybe I need to go through some deep cycles to get my balance back to tip-top shape.
I haven't had my pack below about 50% in quite a while.

Or maybe I need to go through some deep cycles to get my balance back to tip-top shape.

FWIW I briefly changed to view by miles (I use % like a civilized person ) on a rare occasion when charging to 100% a couple months ago and it was like 308. Hadn’t been below 60 in god knows how long. Ran it down to 10, charged up again and back at 310.

Last edited:
Looks like this guy got the update Zack on Twitter. Claims he got the power increase but who knows.

1. Zack‏ @BLKMDL3 55m55 minutes ago
    My power increase is obvious but not super noticeable. I choose to sacrifice range for pure power.

1 reply0 retweets1 like

2. James H. Sholler‏ @JimSholler 36m36 minutes ago
    I can't wait for the update. Not sure what you mean, however, by "obvious but not super noticeable."

1 reply0 retweets1 like

3. Zack‏ @BLKMDL3 23m23 minutes ago
    You can tell it is faster but you would not notice if you were not looking for it.

Hopefully not but it could also be what many owners have reported is a very slight battery degradation in the first year.
Will be interesting to see what you get after deep charging cycles.

Looks like this guy got the update Zack on Twitter. Claims he got the power increase but who knows.

1. Zack‏ @BLKMDL3 55m55 minutes ago
    My power increase is obvious but not super noticeable. I choose to sacrifice range for pure power.

1 reply0 retweets1 like

2. James H. Sholler‏ @JimSholler 36m36 minutes ago
    I can't wait for the update. Not sure what you mean, however, by "obvious but not super noticeable."

1 reply0 retweets1 like

3. Zack‏ @BLKMDL3 23m23 minutes ago
    You can tell it is faster but you would not notice if you were not looking for it.

That seems scientific and well-supported by data