Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 46.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue on 44.2. Definitely software related.
Problems with the charge port have got to be software related. I haven't had any problems until I got the "cold weather" update. I don't seem to have the locking problems that everyone else has, but just the opposite - I plug it in and the port doesn't recognize that the charger is plugged in. I usually end up unlocking the car and locking it again and removing and reinserting the plug, and and if I'm lucky the "T" will finally turn blue.

Good lord, give us at least one update that doesn't eff up something else!

Does anyone has a problem for connecting their bluetooth smartphone?

I don't have any problem with the passive entry, but may be this is based on NFC.

Everytime my phone get connected, the Model 3 screen shows a blue icon, and the car starts to update the contact list,
but immediatly the phone get disconnected and the scan for new bluetooth devices starts again.

I try to reboot the phone and the Model 3, and to unpair my phone, but the same problem occurs.

I have a Samsung Note 9 and the Model 3 software is 2018.42.

Same problem! I've had this bt issue now since v38. I have a Samsung S8+. It takes between 5-15 minutes before it's able to keep a steady bt connection. Once that's set, it stays until the next morning or evening on my drive home.

Extremely frustrating since it messes with phone calls, switching back and forth between bt and handset.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I haven't read this whole thread but my auto sensing wipers seem to have gotten worse with 46.2. They are now absolutely useless. I can't see a thing out the front window but the damn things still don't turn on.

But if the windshield is wet when you first start the car, watch out. They go apesh!t for like 30 seconds for no reason. Then you start driving and they slow down so you can't see anything.

It's awesome.

• Funny
Reactions: brianman
Two anecdotes don't count as data, though. That's the point.

Now there are 5+ anecdotes supporting my theory. Either this is software or Tesla will be replacing a whole lot of charge ports...

I had the same issue on 44.2. Definitely software related.

Problems with the charge port have got to be software related. I haven't had any problems until I got the "cold weather" update. I don't seem to have the locking problems that everyone else has, but just the opposite - I plug it in and the port doesn't recognize that the charger is plugged in. I usually end up unlocking the car and locking it again and removing and reinserting the plug, and and if I'm lucky the "T" will finally turn blue.

Good lord, give us at least one update that doesn't eff up something else!

I'm on the latest software and had an issue with the charge port this morning. It wouldn't unlock and the light was red. I had to manually pull the lever to unlock it. Car was parked In a garage at 65° so the "winter behavior" wasn't activated.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
Well if you haven’t upgraded to 46.2 yet you might want to hold off. Got in my Model 3 dual motor yesterday, one day after upgrade. After putting car in Drive, for whole bunch or errors that traction control, regent braking, stability control and more were disabled, and car “needs service”. See screen shot.

2643075F-77D2-412A-95ED-94178F8B144D.jpeg

Pulled over and called Tesla roadside assistance. They told me this is “known issue with 46.2” and “should be addressed in next update in 2 weeks”. He had me power off the car through the service menu, and after it restarted in about 2 minutes error messages were gone and car seemed to operate normally.

Doesn’t inspire confidence in the software update process for this new owner!

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Well if you haven’t upgraded to 46.2 yet you might want to hold off. Got in my Model 3 dual motor yesterday, one day after upgrade. After putting car in Drive, for whole bunch or errors that traction control, regent braking, stability control and more were disabled, and car “needs service”. See screen shot.

View attachment 358551

Pulled over and called Tesla roadside assistance. They told me this is “known issue with 46.2” and “should be addressed in next update in 2 weeks”. He had me power off the car through the service menu, and after it restarted in about 2 minutes error messages were gone and car seemed to operate normally.

I haven't had this issue, however Robert from the podcast "Talking Tesla" had the same exact issue and it took Tesla a matter of days to fix the issue.
This is weird.

View attachment 358551

I’m on 44.2. Got these same errors a couple weeks ago. They had me turn off the car via Service as well and everything was fine. Haven’t had a problem since then.

View attachment 358551

I had the same errors once a few months ago (pre ver 9). Did a reboot and went away. It's not a new issue.

Now there are 5+ anecdotes supporting my theory. Either this is software or Tesla will be replacing a whole lot of charge ports...
I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for today because my chargeport pin lock doesnt secure the connection when its around the freezing mark.

You might say.. well thats partnof the new update. But i disagree because the car only charges to max of 16A and tells me the charge cable isnt seated correctly.

When i was on the phone with Tesla their suggestion was to get a hairdryer and warm up the chargport! Sure enough it worked but thankfully i have a wife and was at home and had an extension cable to do it.

Ive had to do this twice now!!!

Completely unacceptable! What if i was on a trip??? I'd be screwed!

Tesla then said that a stopgap measure that many owners have reported to be helpful is to spray/ drip some silicone into the locking pin area to help prevent freezing as there is currently no solution to the problem.

I had the same errors once a few months ago (pre ver 9).
Did a reboot and went away.
It's not a new issue.
This remind me of my computer, where every time I install a new driver
or a new software application, to plug and unplug an USB connector can fix a problem,
otherwise I need to perform a full reboot!
Or when I install a new (Microsoft/macOS/Linux) system update, my computer reboots several time.

I don't know how the updates are preformed, and without been too technical,
if you are a little bit aware about software mechanisms such as dynamically loaded shared libraries
and events handler registration or other handshaking acknowledgement for data transfer,
a full reset and self-test seems to be to easiest way to update a system.

However, for some critical real time systems who cannot interrupted, updates can be installed without doing a full reset.
I believed that when Tesla sends an update, the car need to be parked and eventually a full restart is performed.

Pulled over and called Tesla roadside assistance.
They told me this is “known issue with 46.2” and “should be addressed in next update in 2 weeks”.

He had me power off the car through the service menu,
and after it restarted in about 2 minutes error messages were gone and car seemed to operate normally.

I hope I reassure you about the issue you encountered and worry you may have.
I'm certain that the updates must be QA tested many times before been sent.

Depending of the type of application, a good approach for software updates
is to install a new component as soon as it gets tested and validated.
So it is more easy to diagnostic and fix a problem, than when delivering a major release update.

Last edited:
I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for today because my chargeport pin lock doesnt secure the connection when its around the freezing mark.

You might say.. well thats partnof the new update. But i disagree because the car only charges to max of 16A and tells me the charge cable isnt seated correctly.

When i was on the phone with Tesla their suggestion was to get a hairdryer and warm up the chargport! Sure enough it worked but thankfully i have a wife and was at home and had an extension cable to do it.

Ive had to do this twice now!!!

Completely unacceptable! What if i was on a trip??? I'd be screwed!

Tesla then said that a stopgap measure that many owners have reported to be helpful is to spray/ drip some silicone into the locking pin area to help prevent freezing as there is currently no solution to the problem.

When the charge port pin would not lock, was the car outside or damp, when it was around the freezing mark?

The issue I am referring to happened when the car was dry, in a 56 degree garage. Like the software doesn't allow the car to unlock the pin, since it is unresponsive. Nothing clicks or whirs like it is even trying to unlock the pin.

I can see an issue where water gets into the charge port and freezes the pin open or closed causing issues. That is an inconvenient issue in winter climates. I sprayed some silicone spray on the pin as a preventive measure. Perhaps not the best thought out design, and most likely overlooked since it is designed in CA.

When your car was charging slowly, did you go up to the car and try inserting the charge cable further? My wife has plugged in the car twice now while in a hurry. I saw on the app the car was displaying a message showing slow charging that it wasn't plugged in properly. I walked up and simply pressed it in further until it was fully seated. This was in a warm garage prior to this most recent update.

Last edited:
Any chance you have contacts with special characters in the name?
This could be an issue, but even when I select 'Media' only when doing the pairing, the Bluetooth get disconnected.
Eventually, when receiving a phone call, then the phone get connected, but this is more or less erratic.
So the Bluetooth communication works but is not stable.

About the 'special characters', I understand that there was some issues from shifting from ASCII 7 or 8 bits long characters,
to the Unicode and the (Unicode Transformation Format) UTF 32 bits characters.

But that was at the time of the UTF 1.0 of October 1991 first version. And most of the problems then get resolved
with the UTF 2.0 of Julty 1996 which was a major release and everything has been quite stable since.
The last Unicode iteration is UTF 11.0 of June 2018.

I think that the problem is more due to Bluetooth drivers for Linux,
where there are no so many systems using it compared with Android or macOS.

In particular the recent implementation of the version 5 of Bluetooth LE or BLE (for Bluetooth Low Energy) is a major step.

I'm very excited about the recent Linux phone: Necuno is a New Open Source Smartphone Running KDE

Note: 'KDE' stands for K(ool) Desktop Environment as a nickname for the original Unix CDE (Common Desktop Environment).

necuno-linux-smartphone-features.jpeg

Last edited:

I don't have any problem with the passive entry, but may be this is based on NFC.

Everytime my phone get connected, the Model 3 screen shows a blue icon, and the car starts to update the contact list,
but immediatly the phone get disconnected and the scan for new bluetooth devices starts again.

I try to reboot the phone and the Model 3, and to unpair my phone, but the same problem occurs.

Just to point out that this is a thread specific to 46.2, not 42 :oops:

Same issue Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

View attachment 358551

I had this with 42.1 and they replaced my entire steering rack and electronic power steering system. It happened RIGHT after updating the vehicle without moving it an inch - seemed impossible that it was something unrelated to the software... but they just couldn't fix it without replacing all that stuff. Still makes me shake my head.