TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 "Spaceship" cabin...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by biosci, Mar 28, 2017.

1. biosci

biosci Member

Lookkng at some of the more recent images of the Model 3 interior plus tweets and other commentary regarding the interior as we know it, has anyone thought about what Elon meant when he was initially talking about the "spaceship" like interior/ driving?

2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Eh, I've got no idea. How do you square away these two tweets?

tweet1.jpg

tweet2.jpg

So..."wait until you see the spaceship-like steering and controls" and "nothing majorly new that a consumer would notice".

Either EM got caught overpromising again (e.g., falcon wing doors on the Model X) or he thinks spaceship-like controls in a car won't be anything "majorly new" for consumers.

• Like x 2
  3. sorka

sorka Active Member

I think for launch they just want to keep it as simple as possible and get it out the door. Who can blame them? If you want more features, more power, and more tech, then hold off on buying for a year after it's released.

• Like x 1
  4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Tell that to Elon. :) I didn't make any tweets about the Model 3's final interior will look like a spaceship, ahem. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  5. McRat

McRat Active Member

It will be hard to get in or out of the Model 3:

b74c69223f01e937e8902ac7d15cfc91.jpg

• Funny x 9
    • Love x 1
  6. anonim1979

anonim1979 Member

They said it clearly during the reveal presentation rides a year ago.

Q: No instrument cluster?
    A(abridged): No instrument cluster. What you see in this engineering prototypes will be in production models. We don't have time.

At 1 minute mark.

Any "spaceship steering and controls" is probably a vision of a self driving car which you tell (voice recognition is a safe bet IMHO) where to drive and it does it for you...
    No fiddling with wheel, buttons, etc. required.

• Informative x 1
  7. ex-bimmer

ex-bimmer Member

No no no
    Let's not forget our man Elon actually runs a spaceship company too.
    Clearly this is what he meant :D

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. biosci

biosci Member

Ha! Well, I only. Fought it up bc of the tweets that EM made and that ikjadoon brought up.

And for those that keep saying, "if you want this or that, wait..." well, of course we'd have to wait as we have no choice. But a lot of us also went in to help fund some of the development bc of a lot of what EM was making out to be an advanced and potentially superior vehicle to the BMW 3 or even M3, A3/4 etc. But lately, it's been sorta feeling like EM is really making the car seem "not as cool" or compelling anymore (vs early on.. as if his excitement has died down too). I mean, I'm definitely still excited but does anyone else feel like he's making seem that the car isn't "that great?" Vs when the ICE "competitors" talk about the luxury, the performance and handling (vs sheer acceleration only) when they talk about their vehicles. I'm hoping that when we do get to see the final version, it's still a huge WOW moment as it was on day 1 of the initial reveal. Or when Model S and X users still experience.

Actually, based on the taxi tweet, I'm hoping it does NOT feel like I'm getting into a taxi if that's what he's hinting at will be the final experience.

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

What if it's a Space Taxi? That would satisfy what was said in both tweets.

• Funny x 2
  10. MostlyStock

MostlyStock Member

By the look of the current Dragon crew capsule the "like a spaceship" controls might be almost no controls. We might be lucky if the Model 3 has a steering wheel at all.

[​IMG]

Crew Dragon

11. somnambule

somnambule Member

Wasn't there supposed to be a last part of the reveal early this year that's not being talked about any more? My guess is there was something in the works that is taking longer to get into production than anticipated. Rather than delaying the Model 3 launch and having the credibility of the entire company called into question (not to mention the market cap plummeting), I presume they decided to launch the car without the new tech.

We'll probably see whatever that new tech is in the S and X sometime after the Model 3 launch and the same show up on the 3 after that.

• Like x 3
  12. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

How do you "drive" a spaceship?

A: You don't. The destination is given to the control computer that calculate the route. You get in, sits down and wait to arrive at the destination.

He was clearly speaking about AP2 (unveil#2) and FSD.

• Like x 3
  13. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Dilluting Kool-Aid with Realism daily.

Yea... already beginning to resign myself to an extra 12-18 month wait and the loss of any shot at the $7500 credit in order to get the car that I want. Of course, by then, there is a chance it might not say Tesla on it.

• Like x 1
  14. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Well I hope the Model 3 won't be leaking all of that antifreeze into the environment.

• Funny x 1
  15. Garlan Garner

I think the tweets mean that the Model 3 will be plain, however the dreadnought like process of making the Model 3 will not be plain. The process will be the most advanced way that Tesla is making a car. Not that "we" ( the public ) will ever see any of it.

So the vast improvements in "the process" will be a Tesla improvement......not a Model 3 improvement.

16. McRat

McRat Active Member

It'snot anti-freeze. (sic)

It's what comes out of a rocket when it has a cold in it's nosecone.

• Funny x 2
  17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That colored water by the Gemini capsule is a dye marker. Not antifreeze. But maybe you were joking. Hard to tell without the right emoji. ;)

18. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

I'm thinking Tesla was actually planning on some user-facing tech for the "spaceship" stuff, however they simply didn't have the time to finalize development. May be in the next iteration of the platform.

• Like x 1
  19. Garlan Garner

Ahhhh a dye marker. That makes sense.

Honestly, I didn't know what that was. It looked like antifreeze, however I couldn't imagine why a capsule would have antifreeze. lol

20. yesup

yesup Member

No, you won't see much change after 1 year. You may get some software updates, UI changes, and maybe some hardware under the hood, but for the dashboard and center screen, they cannot afford to change it so soon. The interior is pretty much "as is" until the next model update.