Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Spaceship" cabin...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, you won't see much change after 1 year. You may get some software updates, UI changes, and maybe some hardware under the hood, but for the dashboard and center screen, they cannot afford to change it so soon. The interior is pretty much "as is" until the next model update.

I think we'll see a lot of change *at* year one when they introduce D, PD. Elon said 9 months, right? Well in Elon time you can safely double that. Longer yet for a PDL version. The PDL for the S didn't come out for 2 years.

How do you "drive" a spaceship?

A: You don't. The destination is given to the control computer that calculate the route. You get in, sits down and wait to arrive at the destination.

He was clearly speaking about AP2 (unveil#2) and FSD.
There is no need to state the obvious. That was said many times around here after the second reveal. But almost no one in TMC accepts that the "spaceship like controls" are the AP2 even after Elon himself said so.

There is no need to state the obvious. That was said many times around here after the second reveal. But almost no one in TMC accepts that the "spaceship like controls" are the AP2 even after Elon himself said so.

I think it's hard to rationalize fewer controls being luxury given the state of AP2.

If there was any indication of AP2 coming along faster one can imagine that spaceship like controls are simply voice commands: "Take me to your leader!".

As it is, we don't believe AP will be good enough, so we're like these guys:

• Funny
Reactions: JoaoD
Apparently there is a continuing need to state the obvious, because over the past week, multiple threads have appeared discussing basically the same thing: the lack of a HUD or any sort of display directly in front of the driver and how that is a huge problem. For some people.

The release of V8.1 yesterday, with improved voice controls, serves to confirm that the Model 3 "spaceship controls" will be a single centrally mounted touchscreen supplemented by voice commands. Which is not new technology but has never been taken to such an extreme in a car.

That is a big change for anyone who has any experience driving a car. As usual, reactions vary. Some people are extremely unhappy. Some people are saying they can adjust to it and think it will work just fine. Some people are saying they are excited to try something new.

There is one aspect of the Model 3 driver interface that I think we have not seen yet. Elon said last year that the steering wheel in the prototypes shown at the launch was not the real steering wheel. Those steering wheels had no visible buttons (though there were at least two stalks on the column). I suspect the production steering wheel will have some controls on it that have yet to be shown.

No, you won't see much change after 1 year. You may get some software updates, UI changes, and maybe some hardware under the hood, but for the dashboard and center screen, they cannot afford to change it so soon. The interior is pretty much "as is" until the next model update.

They may not launch with a premium interior, but add it later. Although I agree the dash is unlikely to change.

Fun discussion, but the single screen is probably fine. The real question is how much progress AP2 will make in a year.

Apparently there is a continuing need to state the obvious, because over the past week, multiple threads have appeared discussing basically the same thing: the lack of a HUD or any sort of display directly in front of the driver and how that is a huge problem. For some people.
That's why I said there is no reason to state the obvious, it is not going to prevent all those topics about the same thing.

There is one aspect of the Model 3 driver interface that I think we have not seen yet. Elon said last year that the steering wheel in the prototypes shown at the launch was not the real steering wheel. Those steering wheels had no visible buttons (though there were at least two stalks on the column). I suspect the production steering wheel will have some controls on it that have yet to be shown.
I agree, the steering wheel is the one element we can speculate about because we now it will be different. but I don't think it will be much different from the Model S or X one. Maybe it will have less buttons to go with the general theme, but I would also be ok with that since the only buttons I use are to change the radio station to next/previous once a week or so.

Wasn't there supposed to be a last part of the reveal early this year that's not being talked about any more? My guess is there was something in the works that is taking longer to get into production than anticipated. Rather than delaying the Model 3 launch and having the credibility of the entire company called into question (not to mention the market cap plummeting), I presume they decided to launch the car without the new tech.

Maybe but I suspect it has more been a matter of Tesla thinking/seeing that the Osborne Effect was starting to really hurt S/X sales with the approach of the expected 3 reveal/release and the silence will come to an end once 1st quarter earnings are finalized/announced. It's just another part of the "negative selling" of the 3. Good news on the 3 they know they will release in bits throughout the 2nd quarter (along with a June reveal) will keep the stock price up then, even if April-June sees a relative stall to S/X purchases.

Q: No instrument cluster?
A(abridged): No instrument cluster. What you see in this engineering prototypes will be in production models. We don't have time.
This is so weak.

"We didn't have time to finish the design due to an arbitrarily quick production ramp, so you'll be getting a half-assed car. Enjoy."

"But we promise it'll be the best car you can buy with 35k!"

In what world do the words "best" and "don't have time" go together?!?!?!

I think the tweets mean that the Model 3 will be plain, however the dreadnought like process of making the Model 3 will not be plain. The process will be the most advanced way that Tesla is making a car. Not that "we" ( the public ) will ever see any of it.

So the vast improvements in "the process" will be a Tesla improvement......not a Model 3 improvement.
Yeah, but who cares?

You could invent cold fusion to make the Model 3, but it'll still be a boring car. If all you care about is the car, then advancements in manufacturing technology aren't exactly exciting. I know I won't feel any more impressed or dazzled when I'm sitting in my Model 3 knowing that the robot that put it together is capable of sentient thought.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
Yeah, but who cares?

You could invent cold fusion to make the Model 3, but it'll still be a boring car. If all you care about is the car, then advancements in manufacturing technology aren't exactly exciting. I know I won't feel any more impressed or dazzled when I'm sitting in my Model 3 knowing that the robot that put it together is capable of sentient thought.
That's my point.

I don't care. Its a Tesla thing.