Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
48000mph (or 48 kilomiles per hour) ~ 77Mm/h (Megameters/hour).

per symbol is not "p" in metrics. It's "/".
Mathematically speed is the function of distance divided by time. Therefore a forward slash is most precise-appropriate symbol instead of writing a full fracture of distance and time.

To solve for speed or rate use the formula for speed, s = d/t which means speed equals distance divided by time.
speed = distance/time

Even though all prefixes are allowed, only two units of speed are common in metric system: kilometers per hour and meters per second.
First one is for real life stuff, second one is more appropriate for scientific stuff-calculations.
Gentlemen's agreement top vehicle speed of 155mph, 250km/h is hard to imagine in real time as hour is way too long.
Though 70 meters (76,5 yards) each second - that is easy to imagine.
There are 3600 seconds in one hour. Therefore 3600m/h=3,6km/h=1m/s. Nothing is rounded.
Fastest speed (light speed) of around 300 000 m/s is hard to imagine. Until you add prefix and get to 300 km/s (something like Model 3 SR range in winter in one second).

in weirdo system
How many miles would vehicle travel in one hour if it moves 10 feet each second? Don't use google or any other converter;)

Fun facts: yard is exactly 0,9144 meters (without rounding). It is the definition of yard.
And a foot is exactly 0,3048. Again, no rounding.
And an inch is exactly 0,0254m or 2,54cm. By definition.
If meter would change (it won't) so would feets and inches.
But a kilogram will change. The last unit will be resolved in 2018

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Even though all prefixes are allowed, only two units of speed are common in metric system: kilometers per hour and meters per second.
First, I think the USA is remiss and shortsighted for not adopting the Metric System. Until all nations unite behind the Metric System, how do we resolve the confusion behind the use of the letter "m" to mean "mile", "minute", and "meter"? Second, should there be a Metric System to measure time rather than the confusing 365-12-7-24-60-60 system?

Reactions: arnis
Way back in the 80's it seemed we were on track to get this done. There was already dual mile/km signage on multiple interstates, and then it was all abandoned. At least soda/pop still is measured in liters. ;-)
A bit farther back than that. The Metric Conversion Act was in 1975 but the push to go metric was abandoned early in the Reagan administration thanks to pushback from the general populace, and for ideological reasons.

As someone working in science and "fluent" in both systems, I was very disappointed.

At least with an electric car I no longer have to pay any attention to gallons of gas, just kWh of electricity. [I do find kWh more familiar and easy to grasp than joules, however, even though it is somewhat awkward as a unit, thanks to the time part of it.]

Last edited:
Second, should there be a Metric System to measure time rather than the confusing 365-12-7-24-60-60 system?
Well, we can't simplify Earth's orbital parameters (almost 365 days, almost 24 hours, moon week cycles).
Time, in metric system, is and always will be a second. 60 seconds, 3600 seconds.
One year would be slightly more than 31536000 seconds (because a year is not 365 days).
Hours and days are like simplifications. When we answer "what's the time", we deduct years (2017) and even days.
All we say is time since today (in whatever timezone) (again, AM/PM is not metric), for me, 22:59
It's a simplification. In science, time usually has a starting point and end point. Then seconds are used.

that would be 3m/s = 10800 m/h = 6 3/4 mph :p
Because 10 feet is 1,6% more than 3m/s, your answer is 1,6% incorrect.
You gave answer with precision of 2 decimal points (6,75 mph). If you would say around 6,8 mph, that would be correct. But due to actual speed is around 6,82mph (exactly 6 9/11 mph), 6,75 is incorrect:rolleyes: Except, if you gave answer with precision of a quarter unit (0,25mph, 1/4), then it fits. Though then fractures would be again, non-metric (this is how feet, inches, yards operate). Though question was not metric. Let's call it an even.

Last edited:
At least with an electric car I no longer have to pay any attention to gallons of gas, just kWh of electricity. [I do find kWh more familiar and easy to grasp than joules, however, even though it is somewhat awkward as a unit, thanks to the time part of it.]
When it comes to engineering and physics, give me metric or give me death.

The Aussies have it best (from what I gather): watts and joules. They use MJ as a convenient energy quantity, eg. on their electric bill.

Reactions: Robert831
I prefer the bundling for one major reason.
When buying a used Tesla, it's far easier to find a car with the options you want.

When looking at used CPO cars a few years ago, it took a few months before a fully optioned car came up, so it was a bit of a wait, if Tesla had bundled options early on, we could have had a greater choice of cars to pick from.

the model 3 dc charge rate seems higher then normal or is it just me. I’ve attached the model 3 epa report below

Attachments

• EABCD0C6-B0C1-4DAE-9BBF-3C3C51BCDC3E.png
    EABCD0C6-B0C1-4DAE-9BBF-3C3C51BCDC3E.png
    132 KB · Views: 96