Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ 2021 model suddenly charging slowly at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've noticed that my car is now often not charged to 80% in the morning anymore. I've got a PodPoint 7kWh charger and it used to charge at around that level.
I've now started up my Teslamate which I hadn't used in a while and I could pin point the day when it changed

1663266736052.png

Up to the 28th it was charging at close to 7kWh at night (during my Octopus Go time). I had a quick charge at a public PopPoint at Sainsburries and since the 31st it only charged up at a speed of about 2kWh.
I've just tested charging manually at home and it started to charge at 7kWh. So my PopPoint can still deliver it and the M3 can charge at it but somehow it doesn't do it at night. The other day it started charging at 00:30 at 35% and stopped charging at 8 am at 65% (using 3h30m of the more expensive day tariff). My rate is currently still fixed but from the 1st of October the price is going to raise and I don't want my Tesla to charge outside of the 4 hours!

Has anyone else experienced a behaviour like this before?

When I got into the car to do the test it said 10A 'Charge current at this location' but that went up to 30A once it charged. It says the same now on the App.

Thanks for any feedback on what could be going on here.

The car will remember the maximum charge current set for a particular location. Therefore, I think it got accidentally set to 10A on the 28th. Now that you've set it for 32A it should be good.
Note: In the amp it will probably show " < 16A " but that is normal as you can't set 32 A.

After starting the charge manually yesterday evening just to check at what it charges (I didn't change the Amp setting it went automatically to 30A) the car started charging normally last night again during the scheduled charge.
So hopefully problem solved 🤞

I had the same situation, all in the same day - charged at home at low amps from solar in the afternoon, then the scheduled charge overnight continued at the same rate.

Luckily I was up in the night and saw what was happening. As Kelvin said, the Tesla app wouldn't let me increase the current beyond 16A ... but the Tessie app saved the day and let me choose up to 32A.

Hi,

I've noticed that my car is now often not charged to 80% in the morning anymore. I've got a PodPoint 7kWh charger and it used to charge at around that level.
I've now started up my Teslamate which I hadn't used in a while and I could pin point the day when it changed

View attachment 852846

Up to the 28th it was charging at close to 7kWh at night (during my Octopus Go time). I had a quick charge at a public PopPoint at Sainsburries and since the 31st it only charged up at a speed of about 2kWh.
I've just tested charging manually at home and it started to charge at 7kWh. So my PopPoint can still deliver it and the M3 can charge at it but somehow it doesn't do it at night. The other day it started charging at 00:30 at 35% and stopped charging at 8 am at 65% (using 3h30m of the more expensive day tariff). My rate is currently still fixed but from the 1st of October the price is going to raise and I don't want my Tesla to charge outside of the 4 hours!

Has anyone else experienced a behaviour like this before?

When I got into the car to do the test it said 10A 'Charge current at this location' but that went up to 30A once it charged. It says the same now on the App.

Thanks for any feedback on what could be going on here.
Also ... check the retained list of "notifications" in the car. Sometimes there can be a notification about charging that isn't shown in your app or on the screen when you get in. In some circumstances you may see something like "Charging rate reduced due to unexpected voltage drop. This issue is unlikely to be related to the car. If you receive this message on several occasions you are advised to arrange for a check of the wiring of your charge point and supply." (I can't remember the exact wording but that's the gist of it.)