Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I have one of the fist 2022 LFP cars delivered in North America, I thought I’d give a 90 day update. My car was delivered on Nov 13th with 15 miles on the odometer. Odometer was 2454 this morning.

The short summary is the car reported 271 miles after a full charge last night - 0.4% loss,if that’s what it really is and not just a BMS calibration. For more details, read on…

Environment:
Vehicle sits outside 100% of the time (parked in my driveway, not covered). I’m in San Jose and temps since delivery have ranged from low 30’s to high 70’s. Mid 40s’ to mid 50’s were probably the most common temps during this period.

Use:
Primary use of the vehicle has been for my work - private music instruction in clients’ homes. I drive from my home to the first client (15-20 miles highway), spend about 1 hr at the client’s home, then drive 2-6 miles to the next clients home, repeat multiple times, drive home. Total about 40-50 miles a day, mostly after dark, and most miles are freeway going to/from my home to the client area. I made extensive use of the HVAC in November and December when temps were lower and humidity was high. As temps have warmed, I’ve been using the HVAC less and Wh/mile continues to improve. Lifetime average is 219 Wh/mi, but current use is under 200 Wh/mi.

Charging:
I charge the vehicle to 100% and then drive until there is not enough charge left to get through the next day’s use. Recently that has meant charging once per week - Level 2 at home. Zero Supercharger use so far.

This week is fairly typical of what I see, so lets look at the numbers:
214 miles traveled, 199 Wh/mile, 18% battery remaining. That means I really used 60x(1-.18)=49.2 kWh, and efficiency is really 49,200/214 = 230 Wh/mile when we count the vampire/idle drain. Looking at it another way, 214x199= 42.6 kWh, therefore 49.2-42.6 = 6.6kWh was consumed while the car was parked (11%). It was exactly 1 week between charges, so that’s 943 Wh lost per day (about 1.6% per day).

Though the idle drain is a bit high, overall I’m extremely pleased with the car. It is still amazingly efficient while still somewhat sporty and fun to drive. My use case is allowing the BMS to see the battery at various states of charge and minimizing the average charge state, which should yield a long battery life. Time will tell, but so far so good!

View attachment 767991
View attachment 767992
Thiis is really good insight. Thanks for sharing. My pick up is Feb 23rd. Cant wait. Assuming sentry mode is turned off in your driveway? Do you precondition it daily before driving?

I'm playing around with charting ScanMyTesla data. This shows about 3 1/2 minutes of four different component temperatures right after I turned on my cabin heat. I noted what I think was happening in the car, though I could be wrong.

1644680954983.png

• Informative
Reactions: Nezz and TexaCali
Since I have one of the fist 2022 LFP cars delivered in North America, I thought I’d give a 90 day update. My car was delivered on Nov 13th with 15 miles on the odometer. Odometer was 2454 this morning.

The short summary is the car reported 271 miles after a full charge last night - 0.4% loss,if that’s what it really is and not just a BMS calibration. For more details, read on…

Environment:
Vehicle sits outside 100% of the time (parked in my driveway, not covered). I’m in San Jose and temps since delivery have ranged from low 30’s to high 70’s. Mid 40s’ to mid 50’s were probably the most common temps during this period.

Use:
Primary use of the vehicle has been for my work - private music instruction in clients’ homes. I drive from my home to the first client (15-20 miles highway), spend about 1 hr at the client’s home, then drive 2-6 miles to the next clients home, repeat multiple times, drive home. Total about 40-50 miles a day, mostly after dark, and most miles are freeway going to/from my home to the client area. I made extensive use of the HVAC in November and December when temps were lower and humidity was high. As temps have warmed, I’ve been using the HVAC less and Wh/mile continues to improve. Lifetime average is 219 Wh/mi, but current use is under 200 Wh/mi.

Charging:
I charge the vehicle to 100% and then drive until there is not enough charge left to get through the next day’s use. Recently that has meant charging once per week - Level 2 at home. Zero Supercharger use so far.

This week is fairly typical of what I see, so lets look at the numbers:
214 miles traveled, 199 Wh/mile, 18% battery remaining. That means I really used 60x(1-.18)=49.2 kWh, and efficiency is really 49,200/214 = 230 Wh/mile when we count the vampire/idle drain. Looking at it another way, 214x199= 42.6 kWh, therefore 49.2-42.6 = 6.6kWh was consumed while the car was parked (11%). It was exactly 1 week between charges, so that’s 943 Wh lost per day (about 1.6% per day).

Though the idle drain is a bit high, overall I’m extremely pleased with the car. It is still amazingly efficient while still somewhat sporty and fun to drive. My use case is allowing the BMS to see the battery at various states of charge and minimizing the average charge state, which should yield a long battery life. Time will tell, but so far so good!

View attachment 767991
View attachment 767992
May be worth starting a separate stickies thread for LFP battery degradation. In a few years when I’m looking to sell my car I am sure the LFP battery will be worth several thousand dollars more than the other battery simply due to increased life.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
May be worth starting a separate stickies thread for LFP battery degradation. In a few years when I’m looking to sell my car I am sure the LFP battery will be worth several thousand dollars more than the other battery simply due to increased life.
I don't think it's stickied, but I think this is supposed to be the thread for LFP battery degradation. That's why the mods put "MASTER THREAD" in the title.

Reactions: TexaCali
Thiis is really good insight. Thanks for sharing. My pick up is Feb 23rd. Cant wait. Assuming sentry mode is turned off in your driveway? Do you precondition it daily before driving?
Cool! Be sure and share some pics when you pick it up! Yes, Sentry mode is off in my driveway, but on otherwise. Took a little playing around to get this working - at first it was keeping sentry on at "home" even though the location was programed and I had sentry "off" at home. I had to make home a favorite and turn sentry off at favorites before it finally stopped running sentry at home.

I only precondition if the car is plugged in. If you aren't plugged in, it is just drawing on the battery to heat up the battery, so it doesn't really save range. Now if it is supper cold outside, then sure...but usually that isn't the case where I live.

Reactions: amit_gunner
How is everyone doing on charge limit with their 2021 SR+ LFP? I’m at about 4,200 miles and have steadily dropped from the initial 253 to now 247 at max charge limit. Not the end of the world, but I hope this trend slows down as that’s a >1% reduction every 2K miles.

I’ve posted previously about my charging and driving habits (drive about 70 miles per day, mostly highway, and charge to 100% most nights on level 1 at home, although based on others’ advice I’ve been trying to go longer between charging to allow the BMS to see different charge states).

Any suggestions on how to slow battery degradation or, even better, reclaim some max range?

How is everyone doing on charge limit with their 2021 SR+ LFP? I’m at about 4,200 miles and have steadily dropped from the initial 253 to now 247 at max charge limit. Not the end of the world, but I hope this trend slows down as that’s a >1% reduction every 2K miles.

I’ve posted previously about my charging and driving habits (drive about 70 miles per day, mostly highway, and charge to 100% most nights on level 1 at home, although based on others’ advice I’ve been trying to go longer between charging to allow the BMS to see different charge states).

Any suggestions on how to slow battery degradation or, even better, reclaim some max range?
My estimated max showed 249 miles today. Yesterday it was 246 miles. So it varies. Anectodally, I think I see the highest numbers when I charge to 90%, but I mix it up by charging anywhere from 50 to 100% throughout the week. I also try to not to wake the car all the time so it gets plenty of sleep, which I think is when the BMS does a lot of its calibration.

Bottom line is I don't think you've lost that much range yet. I hate to be a shill for the Tessie app, but it's really nice to see the battery capacity and range fluctuate over time as the BMS is trying to figure things out.

Reactions: JM3R
My estimated max showed 249 miles today. Yesterday it was 246 miles. So it varies. Anectodally, I think I see the highest numbers when I charge to 90%, but I mix it up by charging anywhere from 50 to 100% throughout the week. I also try to not to wake the car all the time so it gets plenty of sleep, which I think is when the BMS does a lot of its calibration.

Bottom line is I don't think you've lost that much range yet. I hate to be a shill for the Tessie app, but it's really nice to see the battery capacity and range fluctuate over time as the BMS is trying to figure things out.
Good insights. I’m going to try Tessie out!

Reactions: Baluchi
Good insights. I’m going to try Tessie out!

Tessie is great! Already feeling better (even if the numbers are still subject to later correction) :D

Attachments

• 4E39BB98-A498-48C3-97B3-7A8FBC47661E.jpeg
    4E39BB98-A498-48C3-97B3-7A8FBC47661E.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Baluchi
Question for SR+ LFP owners out there:

Does the charge limit slider give you the standard 50-100% charge limit slider, or does it only let you set 50% or 100%? I've seen both, so just wondering if Tesla has changed this to use the same charge limit slider on all cars regardless of battery chemistry.

I’m at about 3400 miles, and since I’ve had a 14-50 wall outlet installed (under which I placed a plaque that reads “AlanSubie4Life Memorial Charging Station”), I‘m now charging every 10 days or so (to 100%) instead of every day. The 4 times I’ve charged, the range has ended up at 248. During the 6 or so hours of charging there will be an occasional threat of of a 246 or 247 mile charging limit, but so far the BMS has not followed through on those threats…

Reactions: JM3R and Baluchi
Question for SR+ LFP owners out there:

Does the charge limit slider give you the standard 50-100% charge limit slider, or does it only let you set 50% or 100%? I've seen both, so just wondering if Tesla has changed this to use the same charge limit slider on all cars regardless of battery chemistry.
You can put the charge target at any percentage from 50% to 100%.

Reactions: Dave EV

I have a 2021 SR+ LFP with 5000 miles. My max charge limit is stable at 248, sometimes 247 if it's cold. SoCal has been heating up, so it's been at 248.

I have been charging daily to 100% with 14-50 outlet, commute is about 40 miles per day.

I’m at about 3400 miles, and since I’ve had a 14-50 wall outlet installed (under which I placed a plaque that reads “AlanSubie4Life Memorial Charging Station”), I‘m now charging every 10 days or so (to 100%) instead of every day. The 4 times I’ve charged, the range has ended up at 248. During the 6 or so hours of charging there will be an occasional threat of of a 246 or 247 mile charging limit, but so far the BMS has not followed through on those threats…
UPDATE: Only charged to 247 yesterday…

Reactions: JM3R
I have a 2021 SR+ LFP with 5000 miles. My max charge limit is stable at 248, sometimes 247 if it's cold. SoCal has been heating up, so it's been at 248.

I have been charging daily to 100% with 14-50 outlet, commute is about 40 miles per day.
This is basically my exact experience. I’m in NorCal so it’s still a bit colder here (about 45-50 degrees for my morning commute).

I’m experimenting this week with driving as “lightly” as possible (although the vast majority of my miles are on highways) and going to (gulp) try to run the battery down to about 30 miles left (which I’ve never done) before charging all the way back up. I drive about 60 miles each day and the range estimate drops about 70 at an average of about 240wh/m (again, mostly highway driving) so we’ll see if anything changes after this larger drain then full recharge.

Otherwise I’d been just driving my 60 or so miles each day and Level 1 charging at home every night to 100%, which seemed to be working fine.