Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because LFP battery cells are relatively low voltage and at low state of charge, the BMS has a difficult time distinguishing between a charged battery and a discharged one.
It's actually the very flat voltage / SOC curve. From 15-95% the "curve" is very flat and doesn't change significantly until then - it'd be easy to be 5-10% off in estimating SOC if looking at cell voltage alone.

The efficiency of my LFP battery and ability to charge to 100% has me questioning whether or not I want to upgrade to a Model Y LR in December. In sunny California, setting autopilot to 70-75, I’m regularly beating my 273 range estimate. I’ve never seen this in my old 2018 model 3 LR nor my coworker with 2021 model y LR. On top of that, lfp degradation is supposedly 1/2 that of other battery chemistries. Based on my research, in the DIY home battery space, it has been long accepted that LFP is the way to go for safety, battery longevity and cost.
LFP's main disadvantage is lower energy density, meaning that for a given size and weight, it has less kWh capacity.

Basically, do you want an LFP battery with about 3/4 of the kWh capacity but less concern about degradation, charging to 100%, or catching fire, or do you want a LNCA or LNMC battery with as much kWh capacity as can fit in the size and weight allocated for the battery, but have more concern about degradation, charging to 100%, or catching fire?

Since it so happens that the Model 3 SR+/RWD has kWh capacity about 3/4 of the Model 3 LR with LNCA battery, Tesla changing the SR+/RWD to the LFP battery gives exactly this choice.

Reactions: dfwatt
Anyone got a software update saying LFP battery calibrating range estimate so ensure to always keep charge limit to 100% even for daily driving and charge to 100% omce a Week? My first software update after getting car 2 Weeks ago but this is all i got.

Attachments

• battery-calibration.jpg
    battery-calibration.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 379
Anyone got a software update saying LFP battery calibrating range estimate so ensure to always keep charge limit to 100% even for daily driving and charge to 100% omce a Week? My first software update after getting car 2 Weeks ago but this is all i got.
Yes got it yesterday end of the day. I've already been charging to 100% 100% of the time.

3 weeks in and that's the only update we got. Give it a couple more weeks for other updates.

Reactions: amit_gunner
To me it seems fairly clear that we have a couple major options with the LFP battery...

1. If you want the BMS to always be as accurate as possible, charge to 100% every day.

or

2. If you want to minimize pack degradation, daily charge to a lower percentage and charge weekly to 100% to give the BMS a chance to calibrate.

There is no wrong option, just operator preference.

To me it seems fairly clear that we have a couple major options with the LFP battery...

1. If you want the BMS to always be as accurate as possible, charge to 100% every day.

or

2. If you want to minimize pack degradation, daily charge to a lower percentage and charge weekly to 100% to give the BMS a chance to calibrate.

There is no wrong option, just operator preference.
The LFP batteries will last forever. Just charge to 100% once a week.

Not really idiot proof though. Maybe they need clearer instructions.

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing this when you go to srrvice on your App? Not sure if its a generic msg or specific to my car. I did whts it suggesting and reconnect to LTE and then again ensured wifi is connecting while parked at home garage but still same message.

Attachments

• 20220314_095958.jpg
    20220314_095958.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 20220314_100018.jpg
    20220314_100018.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 240
why? you'll degrade your battery.
The battery will not degrade from using lower SOC.

The most probable reason for the ’charge to 100% once a week advice’ is that the voltage curve is very flat with LFP and that the BMS could loos track of the actual SOC.
Charging to 100% make it easy for the BMS to know the SOC and reset the SOC reading.

The battery will not degrade from using lower SOC.

The most probable reason for the ’charge to 100% once a week advice’ is that the voltage curve is very flat with LFP and that the BMS could loos track of the actual SOC.
Charging to 100% make it easy for the BMS to know the SOC and reset the SOC reading.
Won’t battery warranty be diminished if instructions(charge 100%, once a week) are never followed?

Won’t battery warranty be diminished if instructions(charge 100%, once a week) are never followed?

No. But some people who drove their car to almost-zero got surprised when it shut down at 5% instead of zero since the BMS wasn't properly calibrated. So, to avoid this, Tesla pushed a "charge your new LFP pack to 100%" update message to everyone with a RWD.

So, myself, I charged to 100% for a week, but now I'm back to charging to 80%. I don't drive enough to drain it below 50% unless I'm on a road trip.

Just got back from my first real road trip with the 2022 LFP Model 3, and I'm happy to report the car did an amazing job. We left San Jose, CA in moderate rain (~50 F, elevation about 80'), drove over donner pass in the snow (over 7000' elevation, 30 deg F) and down to Reno (4500' elevation, mid 30's F), stayed the night with friends, drove all over Reno the next day, and then home (in clear weather, 50-70F).

557 miles driven, 123 kwhr used, 220 Wh/mile average - and that was driving 70-80 mph over mountain passes and in bad weather.

For those interested in more details:
We left San Jose with a full charge and precondition, drove 148 miles to Auburn, arriving with 41% charge. I plugged in, walked across the parking lot to use the restroom, walked back, and the car was already over 70% SOC! I wasn't sitting there monitoring the charge rate, but I did see numbers around 150kw and well over 600 miles/hr charge added. I wound up waiting a bit longer for my wife - the car was at 95% by the time she returned and we unplugged. I didn't time the stop, but it was in the 20-30 min range (she really took her time :rolleyes:)

We arrived at our friends' home south of Reno with 42% charge and plugged in overnight to a Level 2. We left the next morning with 100% and spent the day driving all over the area exploring. When we decided to leave Reno and go home we were down to 80% charge. My calculations show we might have made it home with nothing left, but the car suggested we stop in Fairfield (about 80 miles short of home), which we did with 25% SoC. A 10 min charge brought us up over 50% and we drove home at 70-80mph to arrive with 24% remaining.

Bottom line, the efficiency and charge rate on this car is impressive. Yeah, you could go longer between stops with the AWD/LR version, but I'm more than ready to make a pit stop and stretch my legs by the time the RWD/SR+ version needs a charge. Throw in the autopilot (works great in the mountain roads btw), ample space in the car (we had a large dog with us plus tons of stuff, no problem), the general comfort and safety of the car, and the LFP Model 3 makes one heck of a road trip car!

Yeah I'm average 223 wi/mi over 3000 miles driven on my 2022 LFP, mostly 70-80 on freeway. I'm really having a hard time justifying trading up to a model y LR and seeing that effiency dip to 300+. Commuting in SoCal (ie traffic) i'm actually beating the 272 range estimate and getting 280+
Yep, the LR is a tough sell in my book.

BTW, my lifetime average was similar, but started dropping once temps warmed up a bit. Currently I'm at 214 wh/mi lifetime average with just over 4200 miles driven (mostly freeway). I think the need for climate control (including battery conditioning) can easily swing this average +-20 points either way. I know the temps don't change too much in SoCal, but I wager you will see some variation between your summer and winter averages.