Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new to the forum and looking at the possibility of purchasing a used M3.. Question I have is, what model/year is it worth going for? What year did the LFP batteries get introduced in the UK?
The LFP batteries are pretty new. At least here in the US, 55kwh LFP batteries appeared in small numbers starting late summer, early fall 2021, and the 60kwh LFP model became the RWD/Standard range model for the 2022 year model, which started shipping Nov 2021.

Not sure about the UK, but over here used model 3's (esp newer ones) are selling for more than the new models due to the long wait time for new models. If you can wait, ordering a new model is the better option right now.

I don't understand why some owners tend to ignore Tesla's advice of charging LFP batteries to 100% often, if BMS forget your battery capacity it is same as degradation. As far as I am aware you cannot recalibrate that forgotten capacity back the battery. (You can with NCAs but not with LFPs due to flat voltage curve).

I don't understand why some owners tend to ignore Tesla's advice of charging LFP batteries to 100% often, if BMS forget your battery capacity it is same as degradation. As far as I am aware you cannot recalibrate that forgotten capacity back the battery. (You can with NCAs but not with LFPs due to flat voltage curve).
Not the same as capacity loss.

You should be able to charge to 100% and the battery should recalibrate. It might take a few times doing this but it should work.
I don't think so, at least with LFPs. That is why Tesla is asking to charge LFPs to 100% all the time. If you read most recent few pages of this forum, it seems I am one of the very few who charge LFP M3 to 100% and keep it at 100% all the time and my M3 has relatively very little degradation after 10000 km (only 4kms lost). People who do not charge to 100% seems to have lost much more range than that.

I don't think so, at least with LFPs. That is why Tesla is asking to charge LFPs to 100% all the time. If you read most recent few pages of this forum, it seems I am one of the very few who charge LFP M3 to 100% and keep it at 100% all the time and my M3 has relatively very little degradation after 10000 km (only 4kms lost). People who do not charge to 100% seems to have lost much more range than that.
My understanding is that there's a small voltage difference between a fully charged cell and a depleted one. If the battery isn't charged to 100% frequently, the BMS gets confused because it can't get an accurate reading of cell voltage. This might show as a low range which can be interpreted as degradation but it's really an effect of trying to distinguish small voltage differences. The battery hasn't degraded, it's just that the BMS can't tell the charge level. Again, just my understanding.
More info:

2021 model 3 sr+ purchased new in march 2021... Now July 2022 I have 52k miles.... I usually charge it to 85 to 90% daily, and only ran it below 20% once. I charge daily keep it plugged into the Tesla wall charger at home. I'm charging to 100% now to see what the full range is. Will let you know in a few hours.
Somehow I don't think that you have the LFP battery as it only came out in the fall of 21 in North America.

Reactions: kvanriper
Charged it up to 100 and getting 230. When I first got the car and I charged it up to 100% it was getting 267. So after 52,000 miles it's about 30 mi range lost. Is that fair or normal? Going to drain it down below 20% and let it set a few hours and then recharge

Reactions: kvanriper
Oops. No, it was 263 I think; I can’t keep track, haha!

Yep. Anyway can find the correct thread since this is not LFP.
Yeah for sure but yeah it doesn't seem too bad 30 mi loss after 52,000 miles let's say the average driver only drives 13,000 miles a year that would be four and a half years about let's just say 4 years so losing about seven or eight mile range per year it seems quite reasonable