Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my 2021 model 3 SR+. It’s displaying a range of 231 miles, not 263. Is that normal? Will the range increase over time?

When I picked up my SR+ on 9/4 it was displaying 253-255 after a full charge. Lately it has been dropping to where it is 245 now after a full charge. Sounds silly to talk about SoCal temperatures causing a drop in range, but I’m still holding out a little bit of hope that I don’t have a lemon set of batteries…

When I picked up my SR+ on 9/4 it was displaying 253-255 after a full charge. Lately it has been dropping to where it is 245 now after a full charge. Sounds silly to talk about SoCal temperatures causing a drop in range, but I’m still holding out a little bit of hope that I don’t have a lemon set of batteries…
Strange. I’m also in socal and I picked up my SR+ on 9/3, mine displays 253 usually, sometimes up to 255 in the app. Do you typically charge it to 100%?

If you can make the differenc
I believe that 0-60 time was 5.2 a couple days ago. I wonder how many people out there ordered when they saw that 5.2 number and will be disappointed when they get a 5.8 second car. That is a pretty big difference. You don’t usually expect to get worse when the new model year comes out.
Test drove a LR. Never drove the RWD. So the 0.6sec I couldn't care less.

Though I will miss the LR acceleration.

Strange. I’m also in socal and I picked up my SR+ on 9/3, mine displays 253 usually, sometimes up to 255 in the app. Do you typically charge it to 100%?

Yes every day on a 120 volt outlet. Mine stayed at 253-255 as well until not too long ago. Possible triggers could be software upgrade to 2021.36.5.5 and a trip to Mammoth where I was discharging the battery to low percentages and then charging it back up with super chargers. But I believe it had already dropped to 250 by the time those two possible triggers occurred…

Yes every day on a 120 volt outlet. Mine stayed at 253-255 as well until not too long ago. Possible triggers could be software upgrade to 2021.36.5.5 and a trip to Mammoth where I was discharging the battery to low percentages and then charging it back up with super chargers. But I believe it had already dropped to 250 by the time those two possible triggers occurred…
Have you reached out to service? I mean it’s only about a 3% drop, but still…after only 2 months? How many miles do you have on it?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Have you reached out to service? I mean it’s only about a 3% drop, but still…after only 2 months? How many miles do you have on it?
Around 1700 miles. I won’t do anything about it unless it goes into some kind of free fall or something. The more I drive it the less concerned I am with small amounts of range. If I am going 75 mph on level road, then how much slower would I have to go to gain 10 miles of range, I wonder? My guess is maybe 5 mph slower?

This also has me re-thinking long trips. With my old Toyota I would just as soon drive to Mammoth without a stop. I understood that I was tired when I got there (or got back from there), but I don’t think I really appreciated the slogginess of it until I stopped to charge 3 times on this last trip. I arrived and returned a lot less strung out than ever before. I’m thinking from now on I should limit trip legs to 100 miles if possible between charges, alllowing me to go as fast as I want without regard to range, charging longer than recommended, allowing me longer rests. That all means more total time on the road but I think I’m pretty much OK with it.

I was also wondering if there has been enough of a temperature drop around here to cause some range loss, but I guess that gets ruled out by the fact that you aren’t losing any range...

Oh yeah, and these lfp cars theoretically have another 9 miles of range added in that isn’t showing up on the display, but is still there. So maybe I still have 254 miles of range at 100% charge.

Last edited:
Lately it has been dropping to where it is 245 now after a full charge.
That is unacceptably low for a two-month old car, in my opinion. Especially for an LFP car. Unless you're just getting wonky BMS measurements due to the frequent Level 1 charging? That's not an issue I've heard of before, but it's the biggest difference between what you're doing and what I'm doing. Anyway, if it doesn't start moving up soon, I think I'd have the service center look into it the next time you need a tire rotation.

That is unacceptably low for a two-month old car, in my opinion. Especially for an LFP car. Unless you're just getting wonky BMS measurements due to the frequent Level 1 charging? That's not an issue I've heard of before, but it's the biggest difference between what you're doing and what I'm doing. Anyway, if it doesn't start moving up soon, I think I'd have the service center look into it the next time you need a tire rotation.

Also since I got back from Mammoth, along with a 4-mile range drop, my charging speed dropped from 6 mph to 4 mph. If that keeps up or gets worse I’ll feel compelled to get a level 2 charger installed. It’s almost like the car was content with Level 1 charging until it got a taste of level 3, and now it’s sulking about having to go back to level 1…

• Funny
Reactions: Baluchi
I won’t know until I charge again tomorrow but some of my problem might have been caused by accidentally using the Tesla app to kick the charging amps down from 12 to 11. I’m speculating the charging speed drop might result from that, and I’m hoping even a couple of miles of range drop might be reversed by restoring the charging amps to 12…

OK, one more thing that flew right over my head even though I actually noticed it multiple times: somehow the charging limit for the car got ticked down from 100% to 99%. I changed that back and now the car has resumed charging that last 1%. With the 12 amp charge limit the charging has gotten back up to 6mph, and so far is projecting a range of 248 when the car reaches 100% charge…I’m kind of getting the feeling that I might not be just accidentally changing these settings — the app might be changing things, perhaps because 100% and 12 amps are not recommended settings…

Reactions: Baluchi
Yep, car charged to 248 range at 100% SOC, and then the default value for the next charge changed back to 11 amps. So I can charge at 12 amps if I want, but can’t have it default to 12 amps for every charge. (But I really like that 6mph charge rate!)

That is unacceptably low for a two-month old car, in my opinion. Especially for an LFP car

I don’t understand where these expectations of approximately zero capacity loss for all owners with LFPs are coming from.

I mean, I am sure capacity loss will be different for LFP than NCA or other chemistries, but do people have a repository of data on fleetwide rollouts of LFP packs on other EVs that have helped set expectations? Or do we have fleet data on Teslas with LFPs already?

I have my doubts that this is going to be some million-mile battery that degrades less than 1% a year. Why would anyone expect this?

What’s the warranty on the new battery? Less than 10% over 10 years? I would base expectations on the warranty in any case. There is probably a rough correlation.

I don’t understand where these expectations of approximately zero capacity loss for all owners with LFPs are coming from.

I'm not expecting zero loss, but over 3% in two months would be extreme for an LFP battery. I think those expectations are founded mostly in reality, based on the reports you can find online. This chart from 2020 study shows the approximate average number of life cycles for an LFP battery to lose 3% capacity would be close to 800-900 full cycles. That's over three years of charging for most of us.

lfp.jpg

But in the end, that's the whole point of this thread--to discuss the real-world degradation experiences of LFP owners. There might be outliers that do significantly worse and significantly better than average.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
A374C946-0C82-4239-8AF2-4D7DF3D27361.png

Here is how my Tesla app looks after charging to (supposedly) 248. The default amps has dropped to 11. The charge limit has moved up to 251, though the car only charged to 248. There was about a half hour where the app was showing the car to be charging at 6mph, to be already charged at with a 248 mile range, and yet the 248 did not increase throughout that last half hour…