Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where can I find this information?
SMT or other CAN bus reader only. Though the car used to display some info in Dyno mode (a bug long since closed).

Not really needed though. Range display in conjunction with the energy screen tells most of the story if all you care about is battery health. Once below the degradation threshold there is nearly no difference in the information available.

I asked in this case because the owner is above the degradation threshold and had previously reported 254 rated miles (which is a transient condition associated with over 100% SOC which can go away with no change in maximum Nominal Remaining pack energy, as NFP adjusts upwards).

Last edited:
Trending up: yesterday the car charged up to 251, and today got to 252. So maybe this is just the BMS getting things figured out…

Attachments

• F290B686-AD87-42B6-86C4-2C82A085845E.png
    F290B686-AD87-42B6-86C4-2C82A085845E.png
    282 KB · Views: 179
Trending up: yesterday the car charged up to 251, and today got to 252. So maybe this is just the BMS getting things figured out…
Yes. This happens and I imagine with the LFPs it might be more common. Anyway, you’re at ~54.5kWh now, and within 1% of other reports, so nothing to worry about really.

It’s when it stays at a given range value for a long period of time that it is time to give it more credence. That will happen as the vehicle ages. We’ll find out soon enough whether SOC matters for calendar aging for LFPs (if I had an LFP SR+ I’d probably do 100% once every 1-2 weeks and stick to 70-80% the rest of the time or something like that - though I have not really researched this as I would if I owned one, so that could be the wrong strategy)!

Reactions: pipp
I've had a model 3 since September which I really like. Mine shows a 263 mile range when fully charged. My daily commute is a 40 mile round trip on 40 - 50 mph roads. I'm mostly using 50+ miles of range to do each 40 mile trip. I never expected the range to be accurate but was hoping it would be maybe 10% out - not the 20% I'm seeing.

Just wondering if this is typical for the the LFP battery, and if you guys are seeing similar results.

I've had a model 3 since September which I really like. Mine shows a 263 mile range when fully charged. My daily commute is a 40 mile round trip on 40 - 50 mph roads. I'm mostly using 50+ miles of range to do each 40 mile trip. I never expected the range to be accurate but was hoping it would be maybe 10% out - not the 20% I'm seeing.

Just wondering if this is typical for the the LFP battery, and if you guys are seeing similar results.
Title of thread is wrong (you mean SR+). Normal. What is weird is that your LFP vehicle shows 263 miles. Are you sure it is LFP? I guess you are in the UK so they got the range update already…. Discussion here would be a better spot (though this is mostly for people with US software so they display ~253 miles, which you should note is the same energy as ~263) :

Master Thread - Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

Anyway it is normal to use more rated miles than driven miles. Especially for these extremely efficient vehicles if you operate them at higher speed outside the tested envelope of the EPA test, or you use the heat or AC significantly.

Depending on the exact vehicle you have, you need to get ~195Wh/mi to get mile-per-rated-mile rolloff. 0.955*53.5kWh/263mi.

Last edited:
Title of thread is wrong (you mean SR+). Normal. What is weird is that your LFP vehicle shows 263 miles. Are you sure it is LFP? I guess you are in the UK so they got the range update already…. Discussion here would be a better spot (though this is mostly for people with US software so they display ~253 miles, which you should note is the same energy as ~263) :

Master Thread - Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

Anyway it is normal to use more rated miles than driven miles. Especially for these extremely efficient vehicles if you operate them at higher speed outside the tested envelope of the EPA test, or you use the heat or AC significantly.

Depending on the exact vehicle you have, you need to get ~195Wh/mi to get mile-per-rated-mile rolloff. 0.955*53.5kWh/263mi.
Thanks. That makes sense. I'm getting an average of 221Wh/m. I guess the difference is the outside temperature (currently 12 centigrade), having the heating on and driving conditions.

Sorry, typo. I meant SR+
Anyway your car is perfectly normal. Take the ratio of your displayed Wh/mi vs. about 195Wh/mi (there’s a 1% error here and there) and that will give you the % by which you “miss” (or exceed) the rated range. And remember that any losses while in park are not counted on that meter. You can lose many many miles while parked due to feature drain.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'm getting an average of 221Wh/m. I guess the difference is the outside temperature (currently 12 centigrade), having the heating on and driving conditions.
Yep so you’ll be about 13% over, not counting losses while parked. 221Wh/mi is really good BTW.

Technically if you have the LFP 55.1kWh FPWN/54.7kWh deg threshold vehicle the parity value is 199Wh/mi not 195Wh/mi, not accounting for the 1% heat loss factor not counted on the meter. (That other value is for the NCA 53.5kWh degradation threshold.)

If you did actually get 221Wh/mi without stopping you’d be able to do 236 miles and still have 0 miles and 4.5% of your battery left, which is great.

(EDIT: corrected the final range number above; forgot to reduce by 4.5%)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just took delivery of a 2022 Model 3 (the car formerly known as SR+). SA thought they were only shipping LFP cars now, but I'm trying to confirm mine is a LFP. Here is what I know:

271 (not 272 as website says) mile range for full charge
Charge screen allows setting a single charge limit, but does not have "daily" and "trip" limit settings
door stickers GVWR is 4711 lbs, max pass and cargo is 826 lbs, so empty weight is 3885 lbs, which doesn't match what I see for the MIC LFP or the old US NCA.

Hoping it is an LFP and Tesla didn't just replace "daily" and "trip" limits with a single limit. BTW the window sticker lists "battery final assembly" as Fremont CA - but doesn't list the source - so no idea where the modules came from.

Hey everyone, I just took delivery of a 2022 Model 3 (the car formerly known as SR+). SA thought they were only shipping LFP cars now, but I'm trying to confirm mine is a LFP. Here is what I know:

271 (not 272 as website says) mile range for full charge
Charge screen allows setting a single charge limit, but does not have "daily" and "trip" limit settings
door stickers GVWR is 4711 lbs, max pass and cargo is 826 lbs, so empty weight is 3885 lbs, which doesn't match what I see for the MIC LFP or the old US NCA.

Hoping it is an LFP and Tesla didn't just replace "daily" and "trip" limits with a single limit. BTW the window sticker lists "battery final assembly" as Fremont CA - but doesn't list the source - so no idea where the modules came from.
I assume the 271 number is when actually at 100% or close (extrapolations cannot be trusted - they can be off by over 100 miles)?

Take a picture of the energy screen capturing the two numbers there, using “average” mode, and also in the same picture capture the battery icon rated miles and % (tap near the icon to swap between the % and range display). So two pictures one in each mode, each with three numbers (range/%, recent efficiency, projected range). Has to be done at a high (>80%) SoC.

I thought there was supposed to be a 60kWh LFP battery coming? No idea though.

It looks like the 55kWh battery was 4658 GVWR? But no idea of the actual vehicle weight. But there is apparently a 53 pound difference in GVWR, FWIW.

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

Without further information I’d guess it is 60kWh but the energy screen will make it obvious. And if it’s got no daily charging limit it is LFP.

Last edited:
My battery is at 60% and I only have 33 miles on the car (plus a lot of time sitting in the car with it on), so there are huge error bars here, but I think we can safely say it is a 60kWh battery: 165 miles range, 60% battery, 227 wh/mile avg, that's 62.4 kWh.

In other news, someone just tried to steel my truck (2nd time in 2.5 months and I live in a decent place). My Tesla (that I've owned for maybe 12 hours) caught the getaway vehicle on sentry mode! Insane.

PXL_20211114_034149478 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20211114_034137688 - Copy.jpg

but I think we can safely say it is a 60kWh battery: 165 miles range, 60% battery, 227 wh/mile avg, that's 62.4 kWh.
Thanks for the pictures.

You got the math backwards.

It is 227Wh/mi*161mi /0.6 = 60.9kWh.

There is some error on this due to being only at 60%. (Method is most accurate at 100%.)

It might be closer to:

227Wh/mi*161mi *272rmi/165rmi = 60.3kWh.

Anyway it confirms that you do have the 60kWh LFP pack on your 2022 RWD.

The constant is about 220Wh/rmi. (161mi*227Wh/mi/165rmi) Compare to either 209Wh/rmi or 215Wh/rmi on the old SR+.

It‘s possible your range will creep up to 272 or even 273 after a few more 100% charges. I guess we will see.

It’s a very appealing vehicle. Great range, low complexity leading to spectacular low-speed efficiency, and hopefully the cells prove to be long-lasting.

It’ll be interesting to see how fast it supercharges. I predict about 185kW peak but not sure about the LFP characteristics. Seems like it is probably 34 parallel cell bricks. So 250kW*34/46 = 185kW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alset3000
It is 227Wh/mi*161mi /0.6 = 60.9kWh.
Ahh...I used the range from the battery symbol, not the projected range from the graph...but yes, being only 60% charged and having only 30 miles driving - lots of "idling", etc, makes these pretty rough numbers. Will be interesting to see what I get after a few charge cycles.

And yes, very curious to see how fast it supercharges. Bjorn Nyland was reporting that the MIC LFP Model 3 charged faster than the NCA version, but I can't recall the numbers. But I'm very pleased with the car so far!

We’ve got 7,500mi on the SR+LFP. Mixed home level 2 and supercharge just under 1k miles.

Still charges to 253 and 252 regularly.

Things I’ve noticed: charge max fluctuates from high 240s to 253. It’s been up to 255 when we first had the car. Lower estimated numbers when we drive the car low and start charging, however it climbs as we charge. It will also display low charge quotes when home charging after a partial supercharge earlier. Lower miles on cold days also, starts dropping under 50ish.