Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its down to software the numbers are far too consistent on displayed range to be genuine, other side of the planet 16,000 klms 2022 LFP RWD same numbers 438 new, 420 now.......no complaints it does what is says on the label.
This is my hypothesis too, I noticed no difference in displayed range across a number of cars despite various charging habits - frequent supercharging, or charged at home to 100% daily V’s only once a week or less often. Plus no noticeable difference for the km’s travelled, just the age of the car is the only constant. Either LFP is largely immune to charging habits and number of cycles (which well might be the case) or the reduction in range is somewhat ‘software based’. (possibly even pre programmed)

Reactions: Leeroy and DuncanM
This is my hypothesis too, I noticed no difference in displayed range across a number of cars despite various charging habits - frequent supercharging, or charged at home to 100% daily V’s only once a week or less often. Plus no noticeable difference for the km’s travelled, just the age of the car is the only constant. Either LFP is largely immune to charging habits and number of cycles (which well might be the case) or the reduction in range is somewhat ‘software based’. (possibly even pre programmed)
It's probably the first. Everyone is seeing just calendar aging. LFP is very resistant to cyclic degradation---you need many many cycles, like a full cycle every day as is used in battery energy storage.

There is a little bit of cyclic aging but as LFP battery Teslas are pretty new most people are seeing just calendar aging effects. No I don't think there is any pre-programmed software range reduction---makes no sense.

If everyone is seeing the same thing it means the quality control in the CATL LFP cells is superb and there is little pack to pack variability. Even battery research papers show a fairly wide spread of aging rates from supposedly identical cells.

Reactions: Leeroy
I’ve seen the same ‘degradation’ on a car the same age but with 230,000km on the clock. This is what lead me to start wondering whether the indicated range at 100% is just being reduced over time on these cars and has nothing to do with mileage, charging habits or perhaps even the actual battery health. (As in, maybe the car doesn’t even know the SOH) Plenty of folks report that the range ‘plateaus’ for quite a long time however, so this might be one argument against my theory.
Just that calendar degradation is the main mechanism, as our member AAKEE has taught us over and over. When the cars are 10 years old then cyclic effects will start to be noticeable. calendar aging goes as sqrt(time) but cyclic will go linearly with time.

It's probably the first. Everyone is seeing just calendar aging. LFP is very resistant to cyclic degradation---you need many many cycles, like a full cycle every day as is used in battery energy storage.

There is a little bit of cyclic aging but as LFP battery Teslas are pretty new most people are seeing just calendar aging effects. No I don't think there is any pre-programmed software range reduction---makes no sense.

If everyone is seeing the same thing it means the quality control in the CATL LFP cells is superb and there is little pack to pack variability. Even battery research papers show a fairly wide spread of aging rates from supposedly identical cells.
It could also mean Tesla has been adapting VW's diesel emissions tweak to range estimates and putting it down to the BMS algorithms.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It’s probably several reasons.

Even NMC/NCA has quite low cyclic aging for the average user (mostly 1/10 of the degradation we see. And calendar aging seem to be quite consistent when calculating the estimated capacity with average temp, SOC etc.

So LFP has cyclic aging as a even lower part of total degradation. The annual cyclic will be only a fraction of the thousands of cycles the LFP can do before reaching 20% cyclic aging, so way less than 0.5% per year for the normal user.

As we know the BMS has a hard time measuring SOC exact, it would be hard to measure and estimate the capacity with a high precision.
It is possible that the degradation (present capacity) is calculated partly different compared to NCA/NMC.

Reactions: DrChaos
As we know the BMS has a hard time measuring SOC exact, it would be hard to measure and estimate the capacity with a high precision.
It is possible that the degradation (present capacity) is calculated partly different compared to NCA/NMC.
That's a good point. Probably most LFP owners follow the charge to 100% frequently enough the top voltage is well calibrated but only discharge into somewhere into the flat SoC vs voltage portion, so the capacity becomes very hard to measure.

So perhaps there really could be an 'assumed' calendar degradation curve applied between times when the true capacity could be adequately estimated. With aging the voltage vs SOC curve might shift a bit as well.

Reactions: AAKEE
That's a good point. Probably most LFP owners follow the charge to 100% frequently enough the top voltage is well calibrated but only discharge into somewhere into the flat SoC vs voltage portion, so the capacity becomes very hard to measure.

So perhaps there really could be an 'assumed' calendar degradation curve applied between times when the true capacity could be adequately estimated. With aging the voltage vs SOC curve might shift a bit as well.
However, the stated rated range at 100% did not seem to change on my car after a road trip that started at 100% and dipped below 15% frequently (and below 10% a few times), where the voltage - SoC curve is non-flat.

However, the stated rated range at 100% did not seem to change on my car after a road trip that started at 100% and dipped below 15% frequently (and below 10% a few times), where the voltage - SoC curve is non-flat.
You would need to let the car sleep at low SOC. Only having low SOC driving and charging asap will not show the true SOC to the BMS.
At any driving the SOC is only estimated.

And also one single time might not cause a noticable change of the capacity estimate, I had a gross underestimate, showing 75.7 kWh and did run a 100-0% using 75.2 kWh and had a little left (0.3kWh) , which was 79.0kWh in total. I let the car sleep a few hours before the charge but it didnlt change the capacity estimate more than 0.3 kWh or so. It took a few months for the estimate to reach 79.0, but it did.

2023 RWD, 8 months old, ~3500 miles, kept SOC as low as possible and only charge to 100% about once per month. 266 miles at 100% currently. Not as good as I hoped, but one thing I have working against me is living in a fairly warm climate... my car is garaged, but the garage gets up around 90 F on most days in the summer, which probably isn't great for the battery.

@AAKEE : Are you talking about M3 SR+ LFP?
That's what this topic is about...
Yes! Absolutely. :)

My example was my M3P with not LFP, but the behaviour is the same:

- Can not measure SOC during drive
-Need to sleep to be able to measure SOC exact.
- One single low SOC will not enable a complete adjustment of the estimated capacity.

Actually, most probably worse for LFP as it is harder to measure the SOC with LFP.

Reactions: DrChaos
2022 SR+ (438km new)
17months old
33,000km, sitting at 420km @100%

Strictly home charging to 100% at least once a week.
Again identical numbers, has to be software I doubt the batteries are that universally consistant with so many variables.

Again I'm not complaining I get great range but I'd rather Tesla take the mystery out of their battery packs and be open about it.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
2023 RWD, 8 months old, ~3500 miles, kept SOC as low as possible and only charge to 100% about once per month. 266 miles at 100% currently. Not as good as I hoped, but one thing I have working against me is living in a fairly warm climate... my car is garaged, but the garage gets up around 90 F on most days in the summer, which probably isn't great for the battery.
The car will cool of the battery if needed.

Looks like similar results to others. charged to 100% every 2-4 weeks always at home, only once @ supercharger for 20 mins.
2022 SR+ (438km new) 16months old
15,000km, currently 420-421 @100%
So with a fairly low mileage after 16 months it still shows similar degradation to the rest of us.
This is fairly interesting. As others have mentioned, seems age is the major variable.
Will be interesting to post again after 6 months or so.