Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 standard range postponed until Early 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on how the AWD wording change being talked about here might indicate when the standard range (SR) Model 3 might be produced? Dual Motor no longer offers range choice

To me, this shows that they were initially planning to produce AWD with SR or long range (LR), but decided to do things one step at a time and just produce AWD with LR first. After that, they'll probably start producing SR, then after that, non-PUP.

I get why they are doing this. They're having production issues so they want to keep it simple while maximizing margins. As they get more confident with production, and demand maybe starts dwindling for the higher margin variants, they'll slowly start introducing more options.

What pisses me off is I feel like they misled their customers about their production plans. First, SR was planned to be produced in late 2017. Then, all production was delayed, so the SR got pushed back to early 2018. Then, in February 2018, SR suddenly got pushed back to late 2018, showing a clear plan to sell as many LR variants as they can before producing the SR. It feels like Tesla misled all of their customers waiting for SR, by indicating SR production was right around the corner, when in fact they were never planning on producing SR until demand for LR dropped and Model 3 production was more under control.
Pretty much expected and logical - unfortunately : Model 3 standard range postponed until Early 2019

Reactions: dm33 and CheeseJam
Also Tesla can try to do the right thing by being more ethical in the way they use people’s deposits to finance their operations and then not deliver the car the deposit was for.

Ethics, Tesla, get some.

Things perhaps didn't go as smoothly as the leadership had expected. Considering the current situation, do you think that increasing the risk of insolvency by decreasing capital income would be a more ethical choice and increase customer satisfaction? That's the kind of ethics that you're talking about?

Oh, I agree this is the only way to do it now! I just think they had always planned to do it this way (in terms of when they are producing each option), and that they were misleading in their previous delivery estimates when they indicated SR would be produced before LR demand was fully met.

Now why would Elon be misleading?
Oh yeah, the TSLA stock price.