Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 steering - not loving it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've test driven the Model 3 three times now, and I left loving everything except the steering.

It isn't terrible (like steering in newer BMWs, which is just an absolute disaster). There's no dead spot on center and it's a smooth consistent feel as your turn the wheel, which is great. But it isn't exactly relaxing like the rest of the Tesla driving experience. It's a small radius wheel, turning it requires a lot of effort, and it's so sensitive (almost twitchy?) so you need to pay attention to not to overreact and keep the car straight and smooth. Putting it on comfort it becomes too soft yet still twitchy. No no no.

Does this go away once you get used to it? Googling is turning up zero complaints about it so maybe it's just a matter of acclimating?

For reference, I'm used to hydraulic steering in my older E46 BMW and 987 Porsche Cayman. I know electric steering won't match cars like these. I just hope I do acclimate to the Tesla steering over time.

This is subjective, but I prefer the 3 steering over the S and especially over the X. Yesterday I drove a 2017 BMW 330E for a few hundred miles and the steering was nimble and responsive, but not as good as the 3. The BMW's brakes felt better than the 3, but everything else was sub-par. I can't believe this car was $57,000 new. CRAZY!

Electric steering will never quite feel like the good old peak of hydraulic steering with your previous cars. They've come a long way in terms of emulating that hydraulic steering feel using EPAS but it has its limitations.

In practice though I think you eventually get used to it and won't have complaints. It's been 6 years since I had hydraulic steering, and it's funny you mention BMW because my first EPAS car was the F30 3-series and that was ridiculously numb. And the C4 Audi A6 was terrible too with "notch-gate". I actually like the Model S and Model 3 steering. It took me a little while to get used to the Model 3's steering wheel radius.

I test drove a P3D and found the Standard setting almost perfectly spot-on in terms of feel and response with the Standard setting on the S despite the differing wheel sizes. They designed it very well in terms of matching steering feel and response across their product line. I came away very impressed with the P3D steering and reassured that trading my S for my P3D will not change anything about what I like about driving a Tesla.

Porsche is on electric steering now on the 911 since the introduction of 991 platform. People complained about it, Porsche adjusted it a few times early in that platform's life cycle, now people seem fine with it. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with electric versus hydraulic steering, unless you want to tell Porsche they are doing it wrong on what is arguably one of the world's flagship sports cars. Since then, the Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster (982 platform) also switched those cars to electric steering and while I hear a lot of complaints about the engine sound from those turbo flat-4's, I never hear anyone complain about the steering on those. So yeah.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arpe
Yeah, I'm good with electric steering being different... and that it can range from awful (BMW) to quite good (Porsche)

The question is where is Tesla on that spectrum. It could be just the small diameter wheel, small ratio steering, and heavy weight that I didn't like. I assume (and hope) that I will get used to it over time. But while on the test drives I found that steering required more effort and focus than I am accustomed too.

I've test driven the Model 3 three times now, and I left loving everything except the steering.

It isn't terrible (like steering in newer BMWs, which is just an absolute disaster). There's no dead spot on center and it's a smooth consistent feel as your turn the wheel, which is great. But it isn't exactly relaxing like the rest of the Tesla driving experience. It's a small radius wheel, turning it requires a lot of effort, and it's so sensitive (almost twitchy?) so you need to pay attention to not to overreact and keep the car straight and smooth. Putting it on comfort it becomes too soft yet still twitchy. No no no.

Does this go away once you get used to it? Googling is turning up zero complaints about it so maybe it's just a matter of acclimating?

For reference, I'm used to hydraulic steering in my older E46 BMW and 987 Porsche Cayman. I know electric steering won't match cars like these. I just hope I do acclimate to the Tesla steering over time.
Which wheels did the 3 you test drive have? I'm sure that could play into the steering feel. It's possible the alignment could have been slightly off as well. In my experience, I would not call the steering twitchy. Responsive, yes, but not twitchy.

The steering wheel itself it the best I have seen in any car. The diameter, thickness and feel are designed the way I would if I designed cars. The steering feedback in the Model 3 is not good. I can only use my visual, audio and inner ear to detect the limits of adhesion of the front tires. This is probably the only disappointment of owning a Model 3. The different steering modes seem to only change the effort level. I wish they would change the feedback too. The good news is that I am getting used to it and it doesn’t bother me as much as when I first started driving it.

I have owned only hydraulic power steering or manual steering cars before the Model 3 except for my previous car. It had Electric power steering. It had much more feedback and mimicked a hydraulic rack fairly well. I would have been happy with that steering in my Model 3.

I just test drove a P3D yesterday and loved the response of the steering wheel. I am coming from a Prius with electric steering so I am used to the feel. Of course going from Prius to M3 is night and day but they do have some similar features.

:) From what i read, quiet a lot of cars are better in road feel than Prius. I love my steering and feel, zero complaints. I am coming from older nissan altima that has "drive by wire" with a big dead spot in the middle and quiet a lot of wobble.

Reactions: jdcollins5
I am coming from older nissan altima that has "drive by wire" with a big dead spot in the middle and quiet a lot of wobble.
I doubt your Altima was steer by wire. What year was it?

Drive by wire, yes for the accelerator pedal. Nissan's been doing that for a LONG time (02 Maxima was the first year for that car, not sure if Nissan did it on others earlier).

It seems to have started with Infinitis in year 2013:
Nissan Moves to Steer-by-Wire for Select Infiniti Models
Take a Look Inside the First Steer-by-Wire Car

I rank the steering feel this way:
2011 BMW 328i E90 normally aspirated straight six with hydraulic steering: A+
2012 Honda Fit normally aspirated four with manual 5 speed & electric steering: A(+)
2018 Tesla Model 3 all variants: A