Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Steering Wheel Squeaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our model 3 for less and a month and, all complaints aside, it's hands down the best car we've ever owned. The only issue we've seen actually occur so far has been this sort of "squeaking/creaking" that seems to be coming out of the steering wheel when turning at low speeds. After the first few turns out of my neighborhood, everything seems to run smoothly as the noise is no longer there. This happens whenever we leave the car to sit for an extended period of time over ~30 minutes. I don't know if this has something to do with the cold, the steering wheel itself, or any suspension issues that may be going on.

We live 2 hours from the nearest service center but have a "certified" service center 15 miles away. I'm assuming they'd probably replace whatever is causing the issue. We're in no rush to get this fixed as long as it doesn't become a driving hazard. I'm leaning towards requesting a mobile service team to come out and check the problem but have yet to request anything of the sort.

What do you guys recommend we do?

I had the squeaking start a couple of days ago, It's been quite cold here (-20 C or worse) for several days in a row, so it might be related to the temperature.

I had mobile service out today to deal with a loose glove box latch, and after I mentioned the squeaking the tech sprayed some lubricant on the steering column which seemed to solve the issue. He said it wasn't uncommon in cold climates.

So, if this is happening to you give Tesla a call and arrange to have them send a tech out (or wait until you have a tech coming for something else) and have them fix it.

I heard from a Mobile tech (Jan 15) but we need to have patience it seems! Nothing again since.

- Please keep in mind some parts maybe be backordered estimated time for parts may vary ( 1-2 week) under normal conditions

- Please keep in mind if the work cannot be performed mobile, you will be advised to book with the local service center.

- Please note there is currently 4-9 days average wait time, once the parts are in stock .

- A garage parking would be stronly recommend to have mobile work completed.

Due to the high demand of mobile service, increased wait times can be expected.

Lucky people, I just got a $97.50 quote to fix my squeaking steering wheel.

If you are not afraid of the airbag it is a really easy fix. There are a YouTube videos on how to change the wheel and disconnect the power. When I changed mine it was squeaking so I had to go in and spray it. It takes about 10 minute and about 10 cents to fix.

If you are not afraid of the airbag it is a really easy fix. There are a YouTube videos on how to change the wheel and disconnect the power. When I changed mine it was squeaking so I had to go in and spray it. It takes about 10 minute and about 10 cents to fix.
Got a link? The one fix I found involved randomly spraying WD-40 in holes underneath the steering wheel. I searched for Model 3 steering wheel squeak and found 3 videos.

This guy uses WD-40 through the existing wheel holes. No disassembly. I'd use an actual lubricant instead of WD-40.

The odd part is that to make the vide, he's apparently already done this. But he does it again to show us, and it still squeaks once, then goes away. (again, this is why I'd use an actual lubricant).

I had the same issue with my M3 after about 1 year. The issue started after driving the car through an automated car wash. The squeaking only happens or is worst the further down the wheel is adjusted. If I adjust it upwards from max bottom 4-5 ticks the noise goes away.

Lubricating the wheel did not solve the issue. Tesla tried it without luck multiple times. At my last SC visit the technician spent a great deal of time debugging the issue, and actually ended up identifying a part a good deal away from the steering wheel as the culprit. I don't remember the exact name, but he mentioned something about a rubber/valve or rubber gasket along/near the bottom of the steering rack that had come loose. I haven't had the noise since he fixed it. Might be worth mentioning at your next SC visit as an alternative to the lubrication.

We've had our model 3 for less and a month and, all complaints aside, it's hands down the best car we've ever owned. The only issue we've seen actually occur so far has been this sort of "squeaking/creaking" that seems to be coming out of the steering wheel when turning at low speeds. After the first few turns out of my neighborhood, everything seems to run smoothly as the noise is no longer there. This happens whenever we leave the car to sit for an extended period of time over ~30 minutes. I don't know if this has something to do with the cold, the steering wheel itself, or any suspension issues that may be going on.

We live 2 hours from the nearest service center but have a "certified" service center 15 miles away. I'm assuming they'd probably replace whatever is causing the issue. We're in no rush to get this fixed as long as it doesn't become a driving hazard. I'm leaning towards requesting a mobile service team to come out and check the problem but have yet to request anything of the sort.

What do you guys recommend we do?
I just had my car in to the same problem, it turned out that a rubber boot located at the”firewall” had come un seated. The tech reseated it and lubricated the area where the steering rod goes thru. Total solved the problem.

So mine has been doing this for years, but it was mostly when it was cold and it wasn't that bad so I just ignored it. But over the summer it started getting worse, and happening in the heat, so I finally took it in to service a few weeks ago. They tried lubricating everything and told me it was fixed but then it did it immediately when I was pulling away from the service center. :mad: So I turned around and went back, the service guy took it for a drive for a few minutes, and then came back and told the service writer to order a whole new steering column. I just had that installed today and it seems to have fixed the issue. 🤞

Reactions: Falkirk