Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 stinks ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to be 100% honest with your post. It does completely ruin the feel of many cars. Especially when you compare it to very boring and cheap American cars. However, being a model 3 owner up until yesterday. It does not blow the water off all ice cars.

Lets begin....

If you live in a cold state. You will never get the suggested range and always be wondering... how far can I actually go?

Next would be trying to win a race anything above 60 MPH. They are a lighting bunny off the light, but that only last for a few second. Have watched and personally been roasted by many high end cars. ie- s4,S3,AMG,M4,M5. They all just have more power band until max speed.

Finally, it’s a nice interior and sound is great. Try stepping into a new high end German car and tell me if you are still feeling that love you had for your “Tesla interior” .

Overall the car worked great for me, but after dealing with countless issues with their customer service, price changes, inconsistent range, and buggy systems. I had to call it quits and snag a M5. Not one single regret.

NJ classifies as a cold state. No worries - I have way more range on the LR than I’ll ever need.

Winning a race? I’m a midlifer with a family. Not racing anything. Don’t give a crap what others drive - none of my concern.

I’m not a fan - never have been - of BMW interiors. I don’t get the fawning over it. The controls aren’t intuitive, way too many buttons, the UI is for crap, I could go on and on. I don’t like the feel of the dash materials or the hard plastics. Just not a fan. I’d take my former Cadillac’s interior over a BMW, Audi, MB or Volvo. I drove all 4 of those routinely as rentals for work. Honestly the Volvo probably had the nicest materials (the seats especially) - but quirky controls. Who puts control buttons on the SIDE of the keyfob? They do stuff to be different, just to be different. Not because it adds any value.

So is the Tesla interior the same? No. My Caddy’s was nicer, to be frank. But it’s perfectly OK - the Caddy was $20k more than my Model 3 too. That said, none of the above - not the Caddy, not the MB, Audi, BMW, Volvo, none of them — put the kind of smile on my face as the Model 3 does.

And that’s OK. If the M5 suits you, awesome. It doesn’t me, and that’s OK too. At this point, nothing with an engine suits me. I’ve seen the future, and it’s electrified. Maybe if the other guys can get their collective acts together and get on the bandwagon, I’ll give them another look. But not right now.

Only thing I’ll say about getting out of the Model 3... I can see service issues etc as a reason - but price changes is a complete red herring. Once you sign on the dotted line, price changes mean nothing .... your transaction is done.

Really, the Model 3 stinks. It’s a terrible car.

... simply because, it’s completely ruined driving anything else for me.

Things like instant torque, turn signal stalks, steering, audio, the huge display, and so much more .... have me completely questioning the so-called “quality” of everything else I drive.

Warts and all - there’s NOTHING on the market like a Tesla. It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever driven.

I drove my wife’s Enclave today - first time driving a gas car in about a month. Wow. I’m ruined. It just felt sloppy - things I thought were tight just felt ... cheap. Turn signal, for instance - whatever spring Tesla uses, it just gives a solid feel vs the Buick. Downshifting? What the heck is that?! And don’t get me started on how awful the in-dash screen is .... looks like a joke after Model 3.

So, Tesla, you stink. You’ve just destroyed any happiness I had in owning that Buick. It WAS a quality vehicle to me, at least in the 3-row SUV class ... now I’m ruined.

I thought changing my daily driver from an SUV to the Model 3 would drive me crazy .... instead, it’s the other way around. I couldn’t wait to get home and get back in my little electric sedan!!
I love my model 3 (still get a smile every time I hit the accelerator, or get an update or find a super smooth road, turn off the great stereo and listen to the quiet or drive by a gas station and see all those poor souls pumping gas), but my wife hates it, which is just fine by me

Yeah, it took me about 2 days to realize that there was no going back; my model 3 is better in almost EVERY way to the Prius it replaced (the only thing I miss just a little is that my Prius' solar roof did a much better job of keeping the interior of the car cool than the "no AC version of passive cooling in the M3 does). Needless to say, that's a very small potato. Now when "muscle" cars go roaring by (emphasis on roaring) I wonder how they can even stand the racket. My silent rocketship is far preferable (to me, anyways). I can actually _hear_ my sound system without having to crank up the volume, That's without even considering the lack of smelly byproducts of combustion, the complete absence of trips to the gas station, and the freedom from the bi-annual smog check. Yep, our other cars seem quite inferior now. Unfortunately, I have a rather large trailer that needs towing periodically, so my stinky, noisy, gas-guzzling pickup is going to have to hang in there until the Tesla pickup is released -- it can't happen soon enough for my liking!

My other car is a Range Rover Velar and I still love it every time I get in, it's no match for the acceleration and handling of my P3D but it's gorgeous inside and out. Tesla is a great car but somehow I just don't get the obsession and the fayboyism I see in a lot of Tesla owners. BMW, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, LR, still make great cars, they are just not the same as a Tesla and they don't need to be.
Sure, but as a past owner of a Porsche 911 Cabriolet and BMW Z3 I'll still take my Model 3, thank you. I'll never go back to an ICE car but now the new Roadster, that might be the game changer for me (just not sure how I will be able to convince my wife)!

@dmurphy

Saw the poster and knew it was a troll post.

You love the ever loving *sugar* out of your car. :D

I’ve never been in your Buick but I’ll lay money down the 12V port is in a better position than the Model 3. :)
God forbid someone likes their car and posts about it right. Man where are all the pissed off owners who post. Oh yeah that’s like every second post on this forum.

Murph, I posted a similar post, “there’s something wrong with my car “. Man did I get flamed. Click bait etc etc. Honestly if I had visited this forum before buying I never would have bought the car. I used to have a soul sucking Prius. Very happy camper now. I can’t see myself behind the wheel of an ICE car ever again.
Yeah 3/4’s of the post here are people bitching about paint falling off the car, AP almost killing them on roads where it is t supposed to be used anyway, break-in’s, and just general BS about how their car and Tesla sucks. Gone are the days where car forums are for people who love their cars and want to show that. Here it gets you called a fanboy, as if it’s wrong to love your car. I mainly come here to stir the pot every once in awhile and view pictures from people who take the time to share what they have done with their rides.

NJ classifies as a cold state. No worries - I have way more range on the LR than I’ll ever need.

Winning a race? I’m a midlifer with a family. Not racing anything. Don’t give a crap what others drive - none of my concern.

I’m not a fan - never have been - of BMW interiors. I don’t get the fawning over it. The controls aren’t intuitive, way too many buttons, the UI is for crap, I could go on and on. I don’t like the feel of the dash materials or the hard plastics. Just not a fan. I’d take my former Cadillac’s interior over a BMW, Audi, MB or Volvo. I drove all 4 of those routinely as rentals for work. Honestly the Volvo probably had the nicest materials (the seats especially) - but quirky controls. Who puts control buttons on the SIDE of the keyfob? They do stuff to be different, just to be different. Not because it adds any value.

So is the Tesla interior the same? No. My Caddy’s was nicer, to be frank. But it’s perfectly OK - the Caddy was $20k more than my Model 3 too. That said, none of the above - not the Caddy, not the MB, Audi, BMW, Volvo, none of them — put the kind of smile on my face as the Model 3 does.

And that’s OK. If the M5 suits you, awesome. It doesn’t me, and that’s OK too. At this point, nothing with an engine suits me. I’ve seen the future, and it’s electrified. Maybe if the other guys can get their collective acts together and get on the bandwagon, I’ll give them another look. But not right now.

Only thing I’ll say about getting out of the Model 3... I can see service issues etc as a reason - but price changes is a complete red herring. Once you sign on the dotted line, price changes mean nothing .... your transaction is done.
I have been a BMW fan for years, but after a ride in a Model 3 I basically think they have fallen behind the times. I for one, appreciate the minimal look of the Tesla interior. Don’t need lots of knobs, buttons, or switches to make me feel my car is special. BMW is also has adopted things such as over the air updates ( but very limited) and using your phone as a key (sorry if you have an iPhone it only works for Android). But the i3 is a pitiful excuse for an electric car and a company who supposedly makes the “ ultimate driving machine” really should be doing more to move their product in a direction that is obliviously the future.

Next would be trying to win a race anything above 60 MPH. They are a lighting bunny off the light, but that only last for a few second. Have watched and personally been roasted by many high end cars. ie- s4,S3,AMG,M4,M5. They all just have more power band until max speed.

F.
Just out of curiosity, which model did you have? I'm looking at some of the specs and a model 3 performance should have been faster than an S3 or the M4 for instance. If racing with a S3 with a standard model than it's obvious why the S3 would go faster (both 0 to 60 or above 60) so not the smartest move to race against them.

I am so spoiled with my Model 3 that when I had to drive my wife's Accord the other day, I got out the car and forgetfully left the engine running. Has that happened to any of you, or am I just getting too old?

Oh, it’s easy to do. I couldn’t understand why the wiper stalk on the Enclave wasn’t putting it into Drive, either.

Reactions: ColoradoFun
I have to be 100% honest with your post. It does completely ruin the feel of many cars. Especially when you compare it to very boring and cheap American cars. However, being a model 3 owner up until yesterday. It does not blow the water off all ice cars.

Lets begin....

If you live in a cold state. You will never get the suggested range and always be wondering... how far can I actually go?

Finally, it’s a nice interior and sound is great. Try stepping into a new high end German car and tell me if you are still feeling that love you had for your “Tesla interior” .

Overall the car worked great for me, but after dealing with countless issues with their customer service, price changes, inconsistent range, and buggy systems. I had to call it quits and snag a M5. Not one single regret.

Was a BMW owner for decades up until we purchased our Model S. BMW is great until they start falling apart around 60K miles. ALL of them did. As long as you get BMWs on lease and turn them in every 3 years, they're great. Oh, and BTW, you're comparing Tesla's entry-level car with some fairly higher-end cars. A fairer comparison would be the Model S against those cars.....of which they would all lose. :)