Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 stinks ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me wrong - it's a very nice car - but so was my Cadillac. Neither of them get me excited anymore. The interior in the Caddy was, I think, more "premium" than the Model 3. I'm sure you've seen my other posts wishing Tesla would adopt some of the Caddy's features (which is a similar list to the XC60 above, plus things like the 360-degree camera, the rearview mirror display, blindspot alerts actually IN the mirror, cross-traffic alerting, etc.)

The Volvo's seats are excellent, most definitely. That said, I'm very happy with the Model 3's. That's a very subjective thing, and I find Model 3 extremely comfortable.

XC60 is quite a nice vehicle; it just doesn't make me go "WOW" anymore. My biggest complaint is that ridiculous keyfob. The buttons are silly.

Most of the other bits and pieces (HUD, Adaptive headlight, Carplay, illuminated door handles, foot opening for trunk etc) - are all things I knowingly gave up to get into Model 3. And that's OK, because at the end of the day, I'll take Tesla's drivetrain & technology over all of it. Plus, if I really feel the urge to open a hatch with my foot, I can just take my wife's Enclave.

(and PS -- the illuminated door handles are friggin killer. One of my favorite touches on the XT5 too.... it was crystal white (just like my Model 3) and at night when the door handles lit up -- man, that looked sharp.)

People often got brain washed by automakers to believe lots of knobs and switches, soft paddings and stitched leather patterns mean premium. That's only because they have no other ways to make better cars. Even I could make a premium car if that's all it takes. The only thing it depends is how much money I want to spend on it. Wiser people should know what a better car means and why they are not easily be reproduced. GM had been making "premium" Cadillac and charge arms and legs over the Chevy forever but it could never even reproduce a Mercedes or Toyota. Earlier models of those were also spartan but great cars until these companies too ran out of tricks to make better cars. So were cars from Porsche or Ferrari. Perhaps in a decade or so Tesla will make luxury interior. That will be the time I will start to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
People often got brain washed by automakers to believe lots of knobs and switches, soft paddings and stitched leather patterns mean premium. That's only because they have no other ways to make better cars. Even I could make a premium car if that's all it takes. The only thing it depends is how much money I want to spend on it. Wiser people should know what a better car means and why they are not easily be reproduced. GM had been making "premium" Cadillac and charge arms and legs over the Chevy forever but it could never even reproduce a Mercedes or Toyota. Earlier models of those were also spartan but great cars until these companies too ran out of tricks to make better cars. So were cars from Porsche or Ferrari. Perhaps in a decade or so Tesla will make luxury interior. That will be the time I will start to look elsewhere.

A better/premium car to me means one that gets me where I want to go, when I want to go, in comfort, making me happy in the process. That last bit (making me happy in the process) is very subjective and covers things like acceleration, steering, suspension etc...

The Model 3 meets all of those definitions. It puts a smile on my face every.single.time I get in it. Being comfortable is a part of that - i do rather like a good, plush interior with high quality materials... but it certainly doesn't define a car's value....

Don't get me wrong - it's a very nice car - but so was my Cadillac. Neither of them get me excited anymore. The interior in the Caddy was, I think, more "premium" than the Model 3. I'm sure you've seen my other posts wishing Tesla would adopt some of the Caddy's features (which is a similar list to the XC60 above, plus things like the 360-degree camera, the rearview mirror display, blindspot alerts actually IN the mirror, cross-traffic alerting, etc.)

The Volvo's seats are excellent, most definitely. That said, I'm very happy with the Model 3's. That's a very subjective thing, and I find Model 3 extremely comfortable.

XC60 is quite a nice vehicle; it just doesn't make me go "WOW" anymore. My biggest complaint is that ridiculous keyfob. The buttons are silly.

Most of the other bits and pieces (HUD, Adaptive headlight, Carplay, illuminated door handles, foot opening for trunk etc) - are all things I knowingly gave up to get into Model 3. And that's OK, because at the end of the day, I'll take Tesla's drivetrain & technology over all of it. Plus, if I really feel the urge to open a hatch with my foot, I can just take my wife's Enclave.

(and PS -- the illuminated door handles are friggin killer. One of my favorite touches on the XT5 too.... it was crystal white (just like my Model 3) and at night when the door handles lit up -- man, that looked sharp.)
Yea my wife wanted a tesla but she also wanted an SUV. SC60 made more sense than buying a model X... Plus her list of must haves was the 360 camera.

A better/premium car to me means one that gets me where I want to go, when I want to go, in comfort, making me happy in the process. That last bit (making me happy in the process) is very subjective and covers things like acceleration, steering, suspension etc...

The Model 3 meets all of those definitions. It puts a smile on my face every.single.time I get in it. Being comfortable is a part of that - i do rather like a good, plush interior with high quality materials... but it certainly doesn't define a car's value....
The initial quality needs to be improved from tesla. Also I'm finding it hard to compare my luxury tesla to the XC60, with all the rattles, and wind noise it doesn't sound nearly as premium. Soft touch materials are not everything, but when your hard plastic rattles like crazy it really does feel pretty inferior. I realize right now EV's are limited because they need to save weight, but they need more in place to deal with these issues.

Reactions: dmurphy
Yea my wife wanted a tesla but she also wanted an SUV. SC60 made more sense than buying a model X... Plus her list of must haves was the 360 camera.

Yes! I'd have an (outside) chance of my wife replacing her Enclave in a few years with a Tesla SUV... but if and ONLY if they can add the 360 camera. Otherwise, it's a non-starter.

She's also grown to really, really love the rearview mirror camera as well. This thing - GM Launches Second-Gen Rear Camera Mirror

It actually makes the Model 3 mirror look like a toy. I don't know why Tesla didn't add such a display - the wide angle camera is already there and feeding constant images; just putting it on an LCD in the mirror would be so easy to accomplish.

Yes! I'd have an (outside) chance of my wife replacing her Enclave in a few years with a Tesla SUV... but if and ONLY if they can add the 360 camera. Otherwise, it's a non-starter.

She's also grown to really, really love the rearview mirror camera as well. This thing - GM Launches Second-Gen Rear Camera Mirror

It actually makes the Model 3 mirror look like a toy. I don't know why Tesla didn't add such a display - the wide angle camera is already there and feeding constant images; just putting it on an LCD in the mirror would be so easy to accomplish.
I think they didn't add it because the tesla uses the large display in the center, which is way cheaper for tesla and more clear than the chevy mirror. The rear-view mirror is neat though, I played with it when looking at chevy bolts when I thought the tax credit was going away and I wouldn't be able to get my 3. 360 cameras are neat, but I don't find them all that necessary myself (nice to have but not a #1 for me). A front camera that shows where your going to hit a curb would be nice for the 3 though. I would like a HUD on the 3 though. Perfect for an ev with no gauge cluster. Hell they could put blind spot warning into the hud too :)

I think they didn't add it because the tesla uses the large display in the center, which is way cheaper for tesla and more clear than the chevy mirror. The rear-view mirror is neat though, I played with it when looking at chevy bolts when I thought the tax credit was going away and I wouldn't be able to get my 3.

I'm sure the "less parts" is why... but to be honest, the mirror grows on you very quickly. The on screen display is fine for backing up -- but when I'm rolling down the highway, having the wide angle view in the mirror is pretty exquisite. Plenty of times where I get to see something that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm a fan.... I also suspect GM has a patent on it in some form, which certainly complicates matters.

Reactions: CarlK
I have only owned my Tesla for 3 weeks but on a trip had a Toyota Camry for a rental car with only 300 miles on it. The interior was very nice, the gas mileage was impressive and the cruise control worked well, better than I thought it would at least. But the lack of acceleration and the noise it made while accelerating was very distracting - sounded like the engine was going to fall out of the car. All those useless knobs and tiny map made me feel like I was in an older car not a brand new one.

Yes my M3 really stinks and has ruined me with ice cars forever.

I had to drive my sister’s Camry the other day. Couldn’t wait to get out of it. The thing “creeped” at 20mph, had my foot on the break way too often, had to push a button to turn on/off the car, etc, etc. other than a manual shift sports car I don’t ever want to drive an ICE again.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA

True. A better car should be better at how it runs not how it looks standing still. That should be the priority when you select your living room furnishings.

Not saying it does not have value but plush interior that costs $5,000 to make should only worth $5,000 + margin for people who want things like that. It should not make a $30,000 car to worth $50,000 more. The problem is that it's often marketed that way and many consumers took it hook, line and sinker to spend more and get less.

• Love
Not saying it does not have value but plush interior that costs $5,000 to do should only worth $5,000 + margin for people who want things like that. It should not make a $30,000 car to worth $50,000 more. The problem is that it's often marketed that way and many consumers took it hook, line and sinker to spend more and get less.

100%! That's one of the reasons the Escalade has been a hit for so long.... $5k worth of upgrades over a Tahoe for $50k more money.

Now, that said... We should probably all be grateful for those higher margin vehicles, as they fund the lower cost ones. Here's looking at you, Model S :)

I’m at the BMW dealer fixing my other car and checked out the X7. No way around how beautiful that interior is, especially with the white diamond stitched seats and chrome accents. And it is cheaper than a LR AWD Model X. Everything is automatic - seat folding up and down on both rows, tailgates, doors, etc. The sticker says it has traffic aware cruise control, self steering etc. I haven’t tested those features though. The second row captain seats have true armrests and a center aisle as well as a low to the ground center console. The main downsides are gas (17mpg) and speed (0-60 in 5.2 sec).

upload_2019-6-7_8-38-28.jpeg

Question: do all Model 3 have soft touch materials on the rear doors? My $41,000 + tax Golf R didn’t even have soft-touch door cards in the rear, so I was pleasantly surprised that my P3D+ does. If the “base” Model 3 does, too, I wonder if that makes it one of very few cars in that price range to feature this.

I’m at the BMW dealer fixing my other car and checked out the X7. No way around how beautiful that interior is, especially with the white diamond stitched seats and chrome accents. And it is cheaper than a LR AWD Model X. Everything is automatic - seat folding up and down on both rows, tailgates, doors, etc. The sticker says it has traffic aware cruise control, self steering etc. I haven’t tested those features though. The second row captain seats have true armrests and a center aisle as well as a low to the ground center console. The main downsides are gas (17mpg) and speed (0-60 in 5.2 sec).

View attachment 416583
I doubt the X7 is cheaper if you count the fuel savings and depreciation. In 5 years I think it will be hard to sell a gas powered car and the Model X has held its value reasonably well, especially compared to high-end BMWs. As far as the steering assist, Tesla is WAY better. I've tried both (my brother has a BMW). The BMW self steering doesn't even work on the road I live on, but Tesla's works quite well.

Reactions: mrwuffles

View attachment 416583
But look at those air grilles, my god is this 1990!
My second car is a BMW so i have nothing against the brand.

But look at those air grilles, my god is this 1990!
My second car is a BMW so i have nothing against the brand.
Same re: other car. Still love my ‘08 BMW 3-Series.

Sitting in and driving the Tesla MX made me feel like every other car is old and out-dated, especially when it comes to the tech.

But I will give the BMW X7 this - it has one of the best interiors for a 6-7 seater I’ve ever seen.

• Funny