Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 subwoofer install.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before v11 the sub done nothing on 20hz sinewave but jumped out of its basket when the sinewave was applied via a phone cable to the amp, after v11 its almost like the phone, a much less agressive filtering has been applied in the new software it seems.

I have found that the stock amplifier does not send much information under 40hz, with an 18" on 3kw there is nothing sent to the speaker when a 20hz sinewave is applied, very little at 30hz, if you run an ipod to the amp and run the same tone the sub definatly gets it then, there isn really anything that can be done about this because there isnt an auxillary input, if there was we could run one line from a source to the aux and also seperately to the amps.

yes, thats the DSP and its a good thing. The small sub cant produce anything below 40hz so why send energy which just causes distortion?
obviously annoying with the aftermarket stuff.

I read through this whole thread and want to upgrade the bass for clarity in the least intrusive way. i want to pair a small JL 8" in the oem enclosure with a small 250w alpine amp. The JL sub is a single voice coil. Will I be able to wire a SVC using existing wiring? From what I understand, the oem sub is DVC.

I read through this whole thread and want to upgrade the bass for clarity in the least intrusive way. i want to pair a small JL 8" in the oem enclosure with a small 250w alpine amp. The JL sub is a single voice coil. Will I be able to wire a SVC using existing wiring? From what I understand, the oem sub is DVC.
If you are using a new amp and running new wires into the factory box then you can do whatever you want to do.

Yes, you will be fine as long as you keep the svc sub running in the ohm that is giving you the most power out of your amp.

So if your JBL amp is 250w at 2ohms, then get a single voice coil sub rated at 2 ohms. Dual voice coil will give you more options, but that’s more so to get down to 1ohm if your amp maximizes at 1ohm.

Have an issue with my 2021 3 sr+. Just recently installed a hansshow diy harness/lc2/mono amp/single voice coil sub and it doesnt sound good with noth l&r rca plugged into the amp, when i unplug either L or R then it sounds like it should. I tapped the front woofers and ran both rca to the lc2i then rca to amp. Ive triple checked everything and the wiring is correct.

Have an issue with my 2021 3 sr+. Just recently installed a hansshow diy harness/lc2/mono amp/single voice coil sub and it doesnt sound good with noth l&r rca plugged into the amp, when i unplug either L or R then it sounds like it should. I tapped the front woofers and ran both rca to the lc2i then rca to amp. Ive triple checked everything and the wiring is correct.
Sounds like you have the polarity reversed on one door woofer tap, when you connect them both they are canceling out.

2023-03-28 19_30_59-Window.png

Thats out of my comfort zone. Im still puzzled as to what is causing reverse polarity in my audio signal. Would it be fine just to run rca from one door woofer since im only running a mono block amp?
Worst case ill let an audio shop deal with it.
You could absolutely just run one RCA for the moment, most bass is mono anyway. I'd still have the audio shop correct it when you get a chance.

Reactions: tegra7
I just finished (mostly) my Kicker L7T4 + KEY500.1 factory replacement sub/amp! Huge props to RWAudio for his kicker adapter brackets, they were perfect.

This pic shows my super janky factory amp offset brackets haha
Kicker sub/amp

I'm not sure where to put the Kicker amp, thinking throw it under the factory amp or maybe mount it on the seat or velcro it to the carpet somewhere out of the way...

The bass was super loud at low gains, but after gain matching using the website sweep tracks and adjusting lo/hi pass filter knobs, I got everything sounding close to how I like it. The 8in sub at 2ohms is plenty in my opinion. With the bass boost knob in the front I can go from zero bass to creating an earthquake inside.