Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Supercharging Capable Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure it is. At that rate, it would cost you about $1000.00 to go around 27,000 miles on superchargers, assuming you can get about 4 mi/gallon in the Model 3. In an equivalent 35 mpg ICE, it would cost you closer to $2,300.00 to go the same distance, which is more than twice as expensive, assuming gas stays around $3.00/gal.
Based on my gas buddy I have paid $6142 in diesel to go 85000 miles. Assuming this math is right (33kWh/100Mi = xkWh/85000Mi = 28,050 kWh * .12kWh) I would have spent $3366 in electricity (assuming no losses, etch). Which isn't bad for home charging. So yeah .16 per kWh isn't bad (like an extra 2 grand in costs). The hardest part about it all is having to do the conversion to see what you would be spending versus gas, it isn't straight math.

The hardest part about it all is having to do the conversion to see what you would be spending versus gas, it isn't straight math.

Yeah, that's why I try to think about EV Efficiency in terms of Mi/Kwh. If the M3 can get 4 Mi/Kwh (I accidentally wrote 4mi/gallon before), then the comparison to a 40 mpg ICE car becomes very straight forward. At least when I explain it to my mother, she gets it then.

It was all over the news the day after the launch...
Free supercharging is standard on the Model S and they do not currently have a pay as you go type system in place so I'd assume it'll be free.

I personally travel long distances maybe a handful of times a year. Why would I pay a premium so I could use a supercharger a handful of times a year. It would take decades to make up that premium in the amount of electricity used. The real way to get people to transition to electric is to offer free charging for everyone. They've already shown the superchargers could be sustainable as is.

If Tesla did decide to charge I think it'd be a move in the wrong direction.

Technically the thing that happened the day after the launch was the change of "Supercharging included" to "Supercharging capable".

There was another change on April 9 to go from "Supercharging capable" to just "Supercharging".

I fully expect in a few months it's going to say something else meaningless like "Supercharging standard".

It's all just Tesla PR having a bit of fun with us.

mod note: threads merged.

Side note - It is difficult for the mods to see every post. If you see threads that can use merging, it is best to use the "Report" link at the bottom of the initial post and in the text field, suggest a merge. Bonus points if you include the link to the thread with which it should be merged (saves me hunting for it).

You guys have active imaginations.

Uh-Huh...
2016-05-25_Screenshot_7.jpg

Reactions: Red Sage
Free supercharging is standard on the Model S and they do not currently have a pay as you go type system in place so I'd assume it'll be free.

I personally travel long distances maybe a handful of times a year. Why would I pay a premium so I could use a supercharger a handful of times a year. It would take decades to make up that premium in the amount of electricity used. The real way to get people to transition to electric is to offer free charging for everyone. They've already shown the superchargers could be sustainable as is.

If Tesla did decide to charge I think it'd be a move in the wrong direction.
Personally, I'd be ok with paying per use for Supercharging a Model 3. That would be fair for people who never use it (i.e., they don't pay for something they're not using), and for people who use it for occasional long road trips (i.e., they pay only when they actually use it).

Obviously free Supercharging for life for everyone would be nice, but I'm not sure the Supercharger infrastructure could support it, with millions of cars eventually on the road. There will be more Superchargers, but small fees to use them could help with congestion.

The Model 3 may have an extra charge for supercharger access, but I think they will be free to use. I'm beginning to see how Tesla is seeing the supercharger network. The supercharger is the killer app for Tesla vs the competition.

The competition is behind the curve in car design, but they are even further behind in charging network design. With free supercharging vs paid charging for other car brands Tesla has a significant advantage.

If you had a need to make road trips between cities, would you rather have a Model 3 with free supercharging, or a Bolt with on the road charging costing about the same as gasoline for the same trip?

Tesla is taking a page from the software wars.

I'm beginning to see how Tesla is seeing the supercharger network. The supercharger is the killer app for Tesla vs the competition.
Exactly. I'm surprised that more people here aren't realizing this. The cost of maintaining and running the supercharger network is MINIMAL. Adding any sort of billing would increase costs and make the cars themselves less desirable against the competition (including ICE cars).