Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Supercharging Capable Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 ‘Supercharger Credits’ discovered on ‘MyTesla’ page
Musk suggested that Supercharger access won’t be free for owners of its mass market sedan.

We’d have to preface this story by saying that the reveal does require some knowledge of HTML. Browsing to the ‘MyTesla’ page, made only available to existing Tesla owners and reservation holders, Model 3 depositors will see a new section called ‘Payment Method’ that has a Tesla-red ‘ADD CREDIT CARD’ button beside it. ‘Inspecting’ this section of HTML via ones browser will reveal a section of code referencing ‘Supercharger Credits’ which is commented-out. Commented code is generally a placeholder put in by developers for what’s to come, though they’re not ready to present it yet.

Uncommenting this code will reveal a new section titled ‘Supercharger Credits’ that’s directly beneath the add credit card button. One would presume that future Model 3 drivers will be given the option to purchase the amount of energy that can be drawn from its Supercharger network.

Though we have heard Tesla’s plans of offering Supercharging as an optional ‘package’ on the Model 3, this reveal may provide further insight on the company’s plans to alleviate Supercharger congestion by adopting a pay-per-use payment plan commonly found on other charging networks.

The truth hurts ... and it will set you free :cool:
I'm not sure what the smugness is about.

The code is already gone, and last time we combed source code (the reservation number fiasco), it proved nothing.

When the truth is actually revealed, maybe then I'll be free.

:cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: Red Sage
Possibly. I haven't read a blog post or seen an official release yet. I just checked the order page. My opinion is that should be the 'forever priority', though: Maximum Range equals Maximum Performance -- period.

Nothing has been confirmed yet (hmmm, maybe everyone should start speculative posts that way instead of posting articles that are already outdated.......), but the feeling is that the 100-pack will move into non-performance configs after a few months. That should put max range close to 330 miles on the EPA rating.

My best guess is Tesla is not going to wait until Model 3 to make changes to supercharging. They will make the changes this year. This will give them enough time to sort out problems before the Model 3 launch. It would be better for Tesla if they replaced the free for life option with 2 and 4 year packages, in addition to the pay per kWh option.
It's possible they'll make that change before the model 3 release. They've had several years to collect data on SC use from all the MS and MX owners out there. Maybe they've discovered that not as many are using it as they initially thought would so they'll remove the cost from the overall price and make it an option again or bundle it with larger batteries. It'll also give them some time to iron out all the kinks and bugs with a smaller user base before the thousands of M3's hit the road.

I don't think the package options will fly though, the pricing would probably make it more worth-while to just get the free for life.

How has the capacity increase 4X in 4 years. If that was the case, the original Model S would have been 85KWh and today we would have 340 KWh Model S/X. The price has not come down anywhere near a factor of 7. The price of Li-ion battery packs has declined from about $700/KWh in 2010 to about $400/KWh in 2014 (industry average. Tesla's line has been flatter:
Electric vehicles, battery technology and renewable energy: Research roundup - Journalist's Resource

Tesla's price has declined form around $350 to $300/KWh.

There are also lots of claims for new battery tech that don't pan out. Over the last couple of months I've seen some articles on some claims of doubled capacity, but it's better to wait and see what happens. Somebody may have developed a doubled capacity battery, but it will never see production because the tech has some critical flaw like it fails after 10 charge cycles, or it may be very unstable and prone to catching fire, or it may be impossible to manufacture economically. There are many reasons something that works initially in the lab never sees production.
OMG.... I'm talking about cell wise. Not Car wise. The Cells capacity has increased 4X. What Tesla put in the car is irrelevant.
OMG.....I'm talking about cell wise. The price of the Cells has come down 7X. What Tesla charges is irrelevant.

Nothing has been confirmed yet (hmmm, maybe everyone should start speculative posts that way instead of posting articles that are already outdated.......), but the feeling is that the 100-pack will move into non-performance configs after a few months. That should put max range close to 330 miles on the EPA rating.
Maybe everyone should start speculative posts?

What are you talking about? TMC = Speculative posts.

• Love
Maybe everyone should start speculative posts?

What are you talking about? TMC = Speculative posts.

"Nothing has been confirmed yet"

Instead of: "OMG HERE'S AN ARTICLE FROM 3 DAYS AGO THAT DRAWS CLEAR AND UNEQUIVOCAL CONCLUSIONS ON UPCOMING BUSINESS STRATEGY BASED ON SNIPPETS OF CODE HIDDEN FROM PLAIN VIEW THAT NEVER REFERENCED ANY LIVE FUNCTIONALITY AND WAS ROLLED BACK WITHIN 24 HOURS OF ITS PUBLIC DISCOVERY!!!! AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH MY ASSESSMENT, THEN YOU JUST CAN'T HANDLE TRUTH, BRUH!!"

"Nothing has been confirmed yet"

Instead of: "OMG HERE'S AN ARTICLE FROM 3 DAYS AGO THAT DRAWS CLEAR AND UNEQUIVOCAL CONCLUSIONS ON UPCOMING BUSINESS STRATEGY BASED ON SNIPPETS OF CODE HIDDEN FROM PLAIN VIEW THAT NEVER REFERENCED ANY LIVE FUNCTIONALITY AND WAS ROLLED BACK WITHIN 24 HOURS OF ITS PUBLIC DISCOVERY!!!! AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH MY ASSESSMENT, THEN YOU JUST CAN'T HANDLE TRUTH, BRUH!!"
What? What are you talking about? What post are you referencing?

I believe all I was commenting on is the phrase "speculative posts". It was a joke.

What? What are you talking about? What post are you referencing?

not yours. just scroll up.

everyone on here is like a dog with a bone. they find an article they see as true and they run with it, until something semi-official leaks (or is just flat-out announced) to debunk it, then it's either crickets and no acknowledgement of how wrong they were, or we get the sudden mea culpa that "hey, we're all just kinda guessing for the next 15 months, LOL."

• Love

No, it was confirmed on day one.

Tesla’s new Model S P100D is not only quick, it’s the first all-electric car with over 300 miles of range

Tesla CEO Elon Musk also confirmed that Tesla will soon have another option with even more range in just a few months when the automaker releases the 100 kWh battery pack in non-performance versions of the Model S and X.

OMG.... I'm talking about cell wise. Not Car wise. The Cells capacity has increased 4X. What Tesla put in the car is irrelevant.
OMG.....I'm talking about cell wise. The price of the Cells has come down 7X. What Tesla charges is irrelevant.

Do you have an article this information came from? I just don't see where densities have gone up or prices have come down that dramatically over that time span, whether talking about cells of battery packs. Prices have dropped and densities have gone up but not by those levels. Panasonic started making the NCR18650A in 2009. It could store 3.1 Ah of energy. The cells in the Model S/X being sold today are around 3.55 Ah (they are most likely NCR18650G). That's an increase of 14.5% over 7 years.

The original Panasonic NCR 18650 was introduced in 2006 and could store 2.9Ah of energy.

I'm just curious where your information came from because I heard it somewhere else too.

If they intended to use the supercharger for "normal charging" i would say that the car wasn't fit for them, it's not susteinable, an electric car is intended for charging at night.
They would have had a really really bad experience it would have been more hassle than that is worth, so if this is the case i would say that it's ok for them to get the money back insted of having a miserable car
But I remember seeing posts in the Model S forum where Model S owners were told by Tesla that using Superchargers if you don't have home charging is fine.

• Informative
I wouldn't think that the SC's would be that crowded if only a few purchased SC'ing

A. Most Superchargers are not that crowded. I make a habit of pulling into Supercharger locations when I have the chance, perhaps 50 times so far, and I have yet to see one without open stalls. I know anecdote not data.

B. Everyone who bought an S with a bigger battery along with everyone who bought an X had supercharging included at no extra price.

Reactions: KJD