Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tint Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you all discuss this with your tint shop, what are you telling them about the rear window? All the way to the top or stopping some way up?

I know there are shops around that could tint the rear window in 1 piece, but they are quite expensive. I think to tint all windows + rear in 1 piece runs like $400 to $500 not including the windshield. The tint shop I went to for the last 12 years couldn't do the rear in one piece, but his works were amazing and I never had problem with the film or the workmanship. So I went with him and he said he tinted other Model 3's with dark tint up to just past the OEM dark tint area (somewhere between the last 2 defroster lines). From the outside, the tint will match perfectly and it looks uniformly same dark. So I went with that and it looks perfect from the outside . From the inside, I cannot see the tint line in the rear view mirror. From mirror I could only see the part that's tinted. If I turn around I could see the tint line but it doesn't bother me. Also it was only $220 (no tint on windshield and sunroof). The car is so much cooler (temperature wise) now.

Is there a model 3 tint thread, where people can post pics of various tint % / Brand for us folks who are still waiting? If not, can we please start one? Post those tint pics!!!
Photos can be a little misleading because of different exterior light conditions and relative to car color. Mine look dark from outside but not really from inside. I went to several shops and Tesla Club coffee events to see tints in person (and to choose a shop). 75 Front, 35 Sides and rear glass, nothing on roof.

Attachments

• 3674EA45-E60F-411A-9D06-3D48E0653CFE.jpeg
    3674EA45-E60F-411A-9D06-3D48E0653CFE.jpeg
    758.6 KB · Views: 1,472
  • BFCA8780-779A-448B-9100-539B12CFFB8A.jpeg
    BFCA8780-779A-448B-9100-539B12CFFB8A.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • 1A315C04-6420-402B-A334-8EF5D967F730.jpeg
    1A315C04-6420-402B-A334-8EF5D967F730.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 1,437
The biggest factor about tint and how it looks is the angle of the photos. If the sun is behind you and you are looking at the car, even 20% will look light because light shines right through with such intensity. With the right angle even 50% can look dark. I'm almost thinking videos are a better way to make tints look clear, which means seeing it in person is probably the best way to gauge tints. Maybe ask to see an example at your local tint shop.

• Informative
Reactions: Jivas
I had Suntek CIR 20 on the side windows and CIR 30 in a single sheet on the back. In bright sunlight I wish it was darker and it is easy to see through. When overcast/twilight, it is perfect. At night, with auto-dimming mirrors plus the tint, it is really hard to see anything in the side mirrors. Seeing out the windows is fine, it's just the dimmed mirrors that are the problem.

Got my windows done today.
Rear Windows: 5%
Front Windows: 35%
All Ceramic Tint
Only $525 at Quality Tinting in San Luis Obispo, CA
Best price I’ve seen in California so far
Only had them tint the back up to the stock tint, about 2/3 of the window.

Attachments

• 5FE52011-A32B-44CB-8475-58452E586B99.jpeg
    5FE52011-A32B-44CB-8475-58452E586B99.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 1,478
I know there are shops around that could tint the rear window in 1 piece, but they are quite expensive. I think to tint all windows + rear in 1 piece runs like $400 to $500 not including the windshield. The tint shop I went to for the last 12 years couldn't do the rear in one piece, but his works were amazing and I never had problem with the film or the workmanship. So I went with him and he said he tinted other Model 3's with dark tint up to just past the OEM dark tint area (somewhere between the last 2 defroster lines). From the outside, the tint will match perfectly and it looks uniformly same dark. So I went with that and it looks perfect from the outside . From the inside, I cannot see the tint line in the rear view mirror. From mirror I could only see the part that's tinted. If I turn around I could see the tint line but it doesn't bother me. Also it was only $220 (no tint on windshield and sunroof). The car is so much cooler (temperature wise) now.

How do you guys get such cheap tint jobs? Geesh. $450 was the cheapest quality job quote I could find. It was $550 with the one piece back window.

How do you guys get such cheap tint jobs? Geesh. $450 was the cheapest quality job quote I could find. It was $550 with the one piece back window.

I think it is the film price + the Tesla markup for the shops that specialized in Tesla. If you go with Spectra Photosync, 3M Crystalline, Llumar Stratos, or any of the top brand films, I have not seen anyone quotes less than $400. On paper, those films are head and shoulder above the average ceramic tint films out there, but in reality, I don't see the difference. For me, I rather go with a tint shop that I trusted and know they did good work than going with the film first and find a shop that uses that film.

• Helpful
Reactions: P3D+ and arcanexvi
I think it is the film price + the Tesla markup for the shops that specialized in Tesla. If you go with Spectra Photosync, 3M Crystalline, Llumar Stratos, or any of the top brand films, I have not seen anyone quotes less than $400. On paper, those films are head and shoulder above the average ceramic tint films out there, but in reality, I don't see the difference. For me, I rather go with a tint shop that I trusted and know they did good work than going with the film first and find a shop that uses that film.

Mine was $550+ disgusting western Washington tax for llumar pinnacle.

Lol I feel like most places are more likely doing a 15% “Tesla tax” rather than a discount!

It is actually pretty easy to tell if a store is charging you Tesla Tax. Get a quote for tinting just the 4 side windows of a 2004 Mitsubishi Diamante. Then get a different person to call and get the quote for Model 3's 4 side windows. Both cars got frameless windows and the windows are similar in size. You will get charge for a "new car" tax, but if the shop is honest, you shouldn't get pay too much more on the Model 3 over the Mitsubishi. Once you know the shop is honest, you could ask about adding the back window for the Model 3 which is much much bigger than any other cars.