Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will switching from the stock 235/35/20s to 245/40/19s affect the warranty? The 235s have a 673 mm/26.5" tire diameter while the 245s would have a 678 mm/26.7" diameter.

I'm wondering if lowering the unsprung mass by going to 19" forged wheels will improve handling, right now the car handles fine but it doesn't inspire too much confidence when I drive harder - I feel like it's a bit difficult to tell when I'm getting close to the limit of grip!

Will switching from the stock 235/35/20s to 245/40/19s affect the warranty? The 235s have a 673 mm/26.5" tire diameter while the 245s would have a 678 mm/26.7" diameter.

I'm wondering if lowering the unsprung mass by going to 19" forged wheels will improve handling, right now the car handles fine but it doesn't inspire too much confidence when I drive harder - I feel like it's a bit difficult to tell when I'm getting close to the limit of grip!
Try upgrading your suspension first. I had aeros. Those are light and felt like *sugar* until I replaced the springs with UP milds. That made it feel like a sporty sedan. You could still feel the all seasons though. Still felt porky but not like I was all over road.

After that the 255/35/20 Pilot Sport 4s make it feel like a sports car. These tires and size really help with the weight. Id try those before wheels.

If thats not good then go with forged 20s on 255/35’s, not 19s. The 255/35 has a good deal more sidewall than the 235/35. Much more sidewall and it probably starts to sloppem up a bit.

Try upgrading your suspension first. I had aeros. Those are light and felt like *sugar* until I replaced the springs with UP milds. That made it feel like a sporty sedan. You could still feel the all seasons though. Still felt porky but not like I was all over road.

After that the 255/35/20 Pilot Sport 4s make it feel like a sports car. These tires and size really help with the weight. Id try those before wheels.

If thats not good then go with forged 20s on 255/35’s, not 19s. The 255/35 has a good deal more sidewall than the 235/35. Much more sidewall and it probably starts to sloppem up a bit.
Dang I thought the Pirelli summer tires that the M3P come with would be decent...? I did have PS4S's on my past car though so maybe that played a role :eek:
What do you think about springs vs coilovers? I'm also hesitant to mess with the suspension because if anything it's even more of a "mod" than changing the wheels!

I felt like I noticed a sizeable upgrade to the way the handling felt by upgrading to 245/40/19 forged wheels and DWS 06 plus tires. Of course I was coming from the stock 18" aeros and those crappy stock michelin's that are known only for their efficiency. I believe the pilot sports would be even more sporty and even more so in the 255/35/20. I also switched to titanium lug nuts but I can't imagine that was a huge difference. I do feel the light weight forged build of the wheels played a decent part in the improvement. I felt that the 245/40/19 had the best balance of efficiency, price, looks, comfort, and performance. However if performance and looks were the only concern I would go 255/35/20 forged all day everyday.

Point is the type of tire/size/wheel can all noticeably affect how the car feels. Suspension should be an even greater difference, I'll let you know how much of difference there is in a couple of weeks ;) Tires are the easiest improvement to make, Suspension is the biggest improvement, and wheels the least cost effective for the performance gain IMO. But ofcourse if you are unwilling to mod the suspension than wheels and tires will be as good as you'll get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
Need some input from folks.

Theoretically, which staggered setup would yield more range:

235/40r19 front and 265/35/r19 rear with Continental DWS06 (ultra high performance all-seasons)

OR

245/40r19 and 275/35/r19 with Vredestein Quatrac Pro (grand touring (aka LRR) all-seasons
Unfortunately, it's really hard to find data comparing fuel mileage or range between tires. I wish there was more out there. It will be even harder to find a legitimate answer when comparing different size tires. IMO, both are a poor choice if you're worried about mileage, staggered is a poor choice if you're worried about handling performance.

No, it won't affect your warranty. Those two tires are so similar sized, they're within the amount of tire wear you would experience between new and old. No, forged wheels won't improve your handling in any noticeable amount. If that is your goal, stickier and wider tires would be a 10x better investment.

• Love
Reactions: play150 and P-Lo801
No, it won't affect your warranty. Those two tires are so similar sized, they're within the amount of tire wear you would experience between new and old. No, forged wheels won't improve your handling in any noticeable amount. If that is your goal, stickier and wider tires would be a 10x better investment.
Dang I see... then the wider tires would impact range? :eek:

I guess I'll have to think about 245 vs 255 like @WesC said! (Although it's just 1 cm of difference haha) I'm leaning towards 19" rims though due to the massive potholes that are around me..

I felt like I noticed a sizeable upgrade to the way the handling felt by upgrading to 245/40/19 forged wheels and DWS 06 plus tires. Of course I was coming from the stock 18" aeros and those crappy stock michelin's that are known only for their efficiency. I believe the pilot sports would be even more sporty and even more so in the 255/35/20. I also switched to titanium lug nuts but I can't imagine that was a huge difference. I do feel the light weight forged build of the wheels played a decent part in the improvement. I felt that the 245/40/19 had the best balance of efficiency, price, looks, comfort, and performance. However if performance and looks were the only concern I would go 255/35/20 forged all day everyday.

Point is the type of tire/size/wheel can all noticeably affect how the car feels. Suspension should be an even greater difference, I'll let you know how much of difference there is in a couple of weeks ;) Tires are the easiest improvement to make, Suspension is the biggest improvement, and wheels the least cost effective for the performance gain IMO. But ofcourse if you are unwilling to mod the suspension than wheels and tires will be as good as you'll get.
Ooh 245/40/19 haha. Yeah it def seems like wheels are less bang for your buck, but since I'm already thinking of changing to reduce the chances of pothole damage etc... 😒

Aloha,
Has anyone liked these tires from Costco BFGoodrich - g-Force Sport COMP-2? On the Costco site is says "original fitment" for a Tesla M3 LR. These are Summer, but I figure since it doesn't often even get into the 50's here in Hawaii that should be fine? They also have the Pilot Sport 4S Summer for more money and for some reason doesn't have the "original fitment" tag. Today only is a $150 sale for all Michelin so I hope someone sees this and has some advice. I was going to get the Pilot Sport A/S but today they show out of stock.
Mahalo!

Aloha,
Has anyone liked these tires from Costco BFGoodrich - g-Force Sport COMP-2? On the Costco site is says "original fitment" for a Tesla M3 LR. These are Summer, but I figure since it doesn't often even get into the 50's here in Hawaii that should be fine? They also have the Pilot Sport 4S Summer for more money and for some reason doesn't have the "original fitment" tag. Today only is a $150 sale for all Michelin so I hope someone sees this and has some advice. I was going to get the Pilot Sport A/S but today they show out of stock.
Mahalo!
I don’t think those BF Goodrich tires are OEM on the Model 3, as far as I know they’re slightly modified Michelin Primmacy MM4X with foam inserts.

theyre decent tires, they’re on my brothers accord and he has no complaints about them.
Just FYI, the Pilot Sport 4S is a summer performance tire and can’t be used in cold weather and is even more “sticky” than all season tires which will cause a higher range hit.
The Continental DWS06 Plus is an excellent tire as well in addition to the Pilot Sport All Season 4.

I don’t think those BF Goodrich tires are OEM on the Model 3, as far as I know they’re slightly modified Michelin Primmacy MM4X with foam inserts.

theyre decent tires, they’re on my brothers accord and he has no complaints about them.
Just FYI, the Pilot Sport 4S is a summer performance tire and can’t be used in cold weather and is even more “sticky” than all season tires which will cause a higher range hit.
The Continental DWS06 Plus is an excellent tire as well in addition to the Pilot Sport All Season 4.
Thank you for your reply! There will definitely not be a cold weather issue here haha! But it looks like now the A/S are available and I think I'm leaning that way since the efficiency and longer life favor them.

Reactions: jrmt23
I am looking for recommendations on buying tires for my 18" wheels. I currently have the factory 235/45R18 Primacy Mx4 TO, and am looking for a replacement that definitely has the acoustic foam. I have a performance model but miss my quiet ride now that I am in the wear bars. Having a problem locating acoustic tires. No luck at my local Discount Tire, Costco's in Omaha. Tirerack appears to have the Primacy's but prefer to buy local in Omaha, Iowa City or Minneapolis. Would consider an all weather...Open to suggestions

I'm thinking of moving to 245/40/19 wheels+tires on my M3P to improve range, pothole protection etc. But will moving away from the tesla tires with the acoustic foam make road noise bad?
Only if you buy really noisy tires. The acoustic foam doesn’t make much difference, so unless you’re highly sensitive to road/tire noise it probably won’t be a big deal.

I went from the 235/35/20 P-Zero’s on my stock Uberturbines to 255/35/20 Michelin PS4S on 20x9.5 wheels and barely noticed, really a non-issue for me.

Reactions: play150