TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 to be sedan AND crossover

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Chris TX, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

2. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

3. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

More likely that there are a lot of small CUV's on the market and it seems to be a segment where there are a lot of buyers.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Maybe I missed it, but what's new here? We've known from slides a while back that the Gen III platform would have a smaller crossover (hence all the talk of the Model Y to form S3XY).

5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I think it might be news because there would be two variants to the Model 3, and it wouldn't be a separate model.

6. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

IF this is not some kind of misunderstanding about Gen-III vs Model 3 somewhere :)

And in case it is not, the only news here is that both Mode 3 and Model Y will be named Model 3 :p

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Mod note: cross-posting is discouraged on this forum.

8. JER

JER Member

This is not very surprising, given that the X is built on the same platform as the S.

What I'm really hoping for (after the Model 3) is a C-segment sized hatchback with a dual motor Tesla powertrain, to compete with the likes of the VW Golf GTx. I reckon that would sell really well in Europe if it was priced right.

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

So should this have been in Model 3 or News section?

10. linkster

linkster Member

Nuthin'

11. evme

evme Member

12. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

To be fair, it's already hypothesized that Elon is from the future, so if that's true he could just go back again ;)

13. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Model 3, since it's not really news :wink:

14. timf

timf Member

Gotta love how news agencies latch onto a 3 year old story like it's some new revelation. Oh well, the more publicity for Tesla the better.

15. Zextraterrestrial

I expect 3 or more built on the 3 platform

16. electracity

electracity Active Member

There's a 'Hatchback problem" for american companies designing world cars. Americans prefer small cars as sedans, with hatchbacks being reserved for vehicles considered to be an SUV (and crossover). Most of the rest of the world prefers small cars to be hatchback. This preference is handled by established car companies building a lot of model variants. Tesla can't currently build a lot of model variants.

So with the M3, where does Tesla begin? With a model that best fits its largest single market, or the best world car? I think they start with a sedan followed by a crossover (hatchback), which is why these stories exist.

I wouldn't expect the crossover to be overly tall. Just a model that americans can claim as a small SUV, while satisfying the rest of the world's desire for a flexible four door hatchback.

17. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I'm thinking the Model 3 will first come as a hatchback/sedan version like the Model S, and then the crossover. The crossover doesn't try to replace the hatchback/sedan, instead it covers those who need a station wagon/van/crossover. I think this is the best way to attract as many customers as possible.

I'm hoping that the hatchback/sedan and crossover are launched within months of each other, but knowing exactly how JB Straubel worded his statement would have helped. :/

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Hatchbacks used to be widespread in North America, if you go back to the 70's. I don't think the hatchbacks on the market had much style going for them. When the minivan craze started in the mid 80's, I think most practicality-oriented people who used to drive hatchbacks switched to minivans, and everyone else went to sedans and coupes.

19. electracity

electracity Active Member

Look at the top cars sold in america. Not hatchback. By sedan I'm referring to a car with a trunk, not a hatchback.

I'm not arguing what is subjectively best, just the market's clear preference.

- - - Updated - - -

Minivans went to SUV/Crossover, especially for more upscale buyers. Every generation in the U.S. has a station wagon. Every generation rejects their parents version of a station wagon.

20. JER

JER Member

There were a lot of ugly cars around in the '70s, hatchbacks included. Plenty of good ones around now though: VW Golf, SEAT Leon, Ford Focus etc. The Fiesta's decent too.