Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to get chademo adaptor 'soon'

Do you plan to get a chademo adaptor when it is released?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 sold in Europe can charge on any level 3 chargers, not only on Tesla's. Why is Tesla withholding delivery of adapters for Model 3, as such adapters exists for S and X ?

Note: Do you think posts on this subject might prompt Tesla to make these adapters available for Model 3 ?
European CCS port on Model 3 is different than the CCS standard used in North America. Such an adapter does not exist for any model of Tesla.

So, I talked to one of the guys at the Oakville SC today and they think the chademo model 3 adaptor is still a few months out. This is based on the fact that there is no part number pulled in the system for it, and that would be the first indication that this is 'real'. After the part number it would take some time to get stock, so from that my guy thinks it's still a while out. :(

European CCS port on Model 3 is different than the CCS standard used in North America. Such an adapter does not exist for any model of Tesla.
Yep. For Angreval's info, in the US, we use J1772 and SAE Combo aka Combo1 flavor of CCS has J1772 for the top portion + 2 extra pins down below.

In Europe, they don't use J1772 but rather Mennekes Type 2 so the top portion is different. Their flavor over there of CCS is aka Combo2.

EV DC Fast Charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, SAE Combo, Tesla Supercharger, etc under "DC Fast charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, Supercharger, China" has a visual aid.

• Informative
Reactions: fidodido
I’m not sure why they would offer a Chademo instead of a CCS given they just started offering a CCS for Europe.

I'm thinking they might offer both. They have to solve CHAdeMO for the 3 to sell effectively in Japan (the S/X CHAdeMO adapter appeared shortly after the S launched in Japan,) and as you noted, they had to solve CCS to comply with EU rules in Europe.

So with the rumors floating around, I kinda think both adapters might show up late this year or early next year - a version of the dumb adapter used for CCS on the S/X in the EU and charger module retrofits to match, and a version of the smart adapter used for CHAdeMO on the S/X now that's 3 capable.

I'm thinking they might offer both. They have to solve CHAdeMO for the 3 to sell effectively in Japan (the S/X CHAdeMO adapter appeared shortly after the S launched in Japan,) and as you noted, they had to solve CCS to comply with EU rules in Europe.

So with the rumors floating around, I kinda think both adapters might show up late this year or early next year - a version of the dumb adapter used for CCS on the S/X in the EU and charger module retrofits to match, and a version of the smart adapter used for CHAdeMO on the S/X now that's 3 capable.

Plus, Japan like UK and down under is right-hand drive; UK is already ordering, there are notes that Australia/NZ configurators just came online, i assume Japan is not far behind. As you say they need to solve the charging issue to sell there.