Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to start at 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
since you're so fixated on one grammatical point, you're missing the larger point being made....allow me to clarify.

The Model 3 is ~85% the size of the Model S, with simpler wiring, and a different chassis. So in that sense, it will be a lighter VEHICLE.

ALSO...the 2170 pack will be lighter than its nominal 18650 counterpart.

But since you have to put the vehicle AND its pack onto a scale to get your GVW, I chose to refer to the vehicle's weight in the singular sense, not realizing someone would go Zapruder Film semantics on us all to basically argue what we've all been saying, but slanted through the lens of 2 words being taken in a separate context.
If you have read about the Model 3 you should know by now that Model 3 will use steel as part of the chassi compare to Model S wish use only aluminium, this should make the difference in weight less but how mush is hard to say.

Then it somes to the new 2170 cells we know that they have better energy density in Wh/volume but as we don't know the materials in the batteries so we can hardly take for granted that the Wh/kg also have improved. I really hope it have but right now we have no idea. If if you can provide facts that it's lighter I would really like to see it but if you can't, Let's wait until we know for sure.

If you have read about the Model 3 you should know by now that Model 3 will use steel as part of the chassi compare to Model S wish use only aluminium, this should make the difference in weight less but how mush is hard to say.

Then it somes to the new 2170 cells we know that they have better energy density in Wh/volume but as we don't know the materials in the batteries so we can hardly take for granted that the Wh/kg also have improved. I really hope it have but right now we have no idea. If if you can provide facts that it's lighter I would really like to see it but if you can't, Let's wait until we know for sure.
We can provide quotes from Elon and Tesla Engineers....

I highly doubt it. The 56kWh battery can deliver promised range 215mile and 60kW looks better when comparing with Bolt.
Tesla also rounded down with the P100D as it's 98.4 kWh + 4 kWh reserve = 102.4 kWh.

I'm not sure why you think it would be advantageous to lie and round up to say it's 60 kWh for comparison to the Bolt if the range is clearly lower. That would just make Tesla look bad with less range for the same capacity = worse efficiency.

Bolt doesn't use a 60 kWh moniker so people who care most about range go off the range number in miles not the actual capacity or even the moniker on the badge. If a 60 kWh Tesla Model 3 would be a Bolt in range then I'm sure they'll do it.

I'm guessing they'll manage between 0.227 and 0.250 Wh / mi. If so, they could manage around 250 mi with a 60 kWh pack and 310 miles for the 75 kWh. (At least I'm hoping)

I'm guessing they'll manage between 0.227 and 0.250 Wh / mi. If so, they could manage around 250 mi with a 60 kWh pack and 310 miles for the 75 kWh. (At least I'm hoping)
Your 75 kwh estimate strikes me as optimistic because it ignores the additional weight penalty.

My rule-of-thumb for additional capacity in a Tesla is 80%
So if a Model S has a miles/kwh ratio of X, then
additional Y kWh capacity gives Y*X*0.8 additional EPA range

so people who care most about range
Sounds practical to me ;-)

With one important point, of course: winter driving has increased non Aero energy costs. People who are unaware or spoiled will be surprised to find their winter driving range takes a big hit compared to EPA. In a sense, this is the achilles' hill of Tesla's decision to invest engineering resources in a low Cd to save battery capacity. It will look very smart outside of winter and garner a host of complaints every January.

That is true but it misses my point. I was talking about road friction and cabin heating.

I was referring to this part:
this is the achilles' hill of Tesla's decision to invest engineering resources in a low Cd to save battery capacity.

Minimmizing Cd is just smart engineering. They put in as much battery capacity as they could at a marketable price point. Your implication reads as if Tesla should have put in larger packs instead of improving Cd.

Your implication reads as if Tesla should have put in larger packs instead of improving Cd.
I'm not implying anything, and I think the low Cd of the car is brilliant.

My point is that a car like the Bolt EV will preserve more of its EPA range in the winter than the Tesla for "normal" drivers. This just follows from Tesla relying on a low Cd to meet its EPA range design goals.

Your 75 kwh estimate strikes me as optimistic because it ignores the additional weight penalty.

My rule-of-thumb for additional capacity in a Tesla is 80%
So if a Model S has a miles/kwh ratio of X, then
additional Y kWh capacity gives Y*X*0.8 additional EPA range

I did actually count weight which is why 60/250 < 75/310

There's also the energy density increase for the 2170s so likely the weight increase is only going to be between 100-200 lbs.