Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Totaled or Repairable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, last weekend someone ran a red light and hit my 2021 Model 3 Standard Range Plus. He was found 100% at fault (obviously, it was red for him for a solid 10 seconds before he entered the intersection).

This is the damage. I instantly considered it totaled and placed an order for a new model 3 before delivery times get pushed back more.

But… the adjuster from Root Insurance (his insurance) calls me, and it was a mess… first of all, she did not know that a Tesla was an electric car. I do not feel comfortable with her valuing my car if she has never even seen a Tesla before. So any advice here would be appreciated… I refuse to get ripped off, as I have only had the car for 8 months and refuse to take a penny less than what it’s worth.

Well.. she thinks it is repairable? The frame is bent, multiple panels are crumpled, I am pretty certain his car dug in towards my battery, and the airbags all went off? She quoted the repair at 5,000 dollars… and the shop called me to tell me that it will be much more than that, and they will work with the insurance.

I just don’t see how this is not a total loss? I don’t see it costing less than 20,000… 35,000 if the battery was damaged… plus quite a bit in diminished value. Between the salvage value, high DV, high cost… I don’t see why they aren’t totaling it and sending me a 50k check?

I guess what I am asking here is:
1. What do I do when my adjuster is clearly incompetent about Teslas?
2. IF they do repair it, how much could I get in a diminished value claim? It was a perfect condition car with very low miles and only 8 months old.
3. How is it not totaled? Do any of you have experience with this? I do not want to get ripped off by getting a nearly brand new car completely reconstructed.

Thank you in advance. I have attached pictures.
Submit your claim to your own insurance company. Clearly the other company may be the "Root" of your problem!

I just got into a car accident like yours 2 weeks ago where a teenager ate the red light - unfortunately going through therapy now.

I have a 2021 SR+; The only difference from your damage is that my rear wheel bent inward on the top.

I have Allstate and they estimated $34K.

Since the other party doesn’t have a sufficient amount in liability, my insurance have to pay for the damage *eye roll*

I’m also confused as to why it’s not considered totaled.

Btw, I’m in NY.
my insurance company budgeted 74K to fix my MYP and said they will go as high as they need to because they don't like to total teslas......basically they don't want to give tesla any money and would rather give it to the body shop. Depends on your insurance company....wide range of opinions and agendas. Insurance companies DO NOT like tesla because of the power tesla has to dictate the industry right now

Hmmm, if the car is totaled, can you request the FSD programming be moved to the new car, Afterall, he did buy it? Just curious...

No, tesla will not move FSD from one vehicle to another. I am going to put a pin in that discussion here though, and direct any and all further discussion of moving FSD to another vehicle to the autopilot subforum.

• Disagree
Reactions: S&B's M3
Everyone has wanted Tesla to allow FSD to be transferred to another vehicle for a long time. And I wish they would allow this in situations where your car was totaled through no fault of your own. And maybe allow a transfer if you bought a new Tesla, with a small transfer fee. I understand why they don't do it, it's revenue they will loose if you can keep transferring it over and over as FSD get better and better. The problem is that we've been promised FSD and robotaxi stuff for years now and it's not happened and just won't happen anytime soon. And now Elon said that FSD is increasing to $15,000?! It's not worth $2,000 because it isn't here yet and the features they released still aren't worth it. But I guess we have to think of FSD as a crowd funded thing, they have our money and we only hope that one day we get the perk.

When I bought my LR Model 3 at the end of 2018 I paid the additional $5,000 for EAP, because I wanted to experience the tech (basic autopilot wasn't included). I decided against paying the extra $3,000 for FSD. Then the following year Tesla offered FSD for $2,000 and I got it, only because there was a chance for hardware upgrades that are included, which did happened with the new board. But I really doubt my car will get a feature complete FSD in its useful life. My warranty expires in December and that's when repairs get expensive with a Tesla, so I had hoped to buy a new Model Y but not likely now with all their price increases. So, I may end up buying an EV from another manufacture, but not sure yet. But if Tesla could bring prices back down then they might have me as a customer again, but no way I'd get FSD as it's ridiculously expensive, maybe I'd get EAP. Although, basic autopilot is good enough.

While yes insurance will consider FSD if your car is totaled or stolen, you will never get back the full amount you paid for it or the new increased price of FSD when you have to buy a new car, and yeah it sucks.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
But… the adjuster from Root Insurance (his insurance) calls me, and it was a mess…

And you know what "Root" means in Australia right?

Don't forget, just because they "offer" you something doesn't mean you have to say yes to it. In my (fortunately) limited experience with insurance settlements, I've found that saying No means they come back with something better. In fact a "repair" became a "totaled" for me when I stood my ground

Worst comes to the worst, just drop the phone then pick it up and apologise, saying it was because of the stiffness you've been having in your neck recently . . .

Reactions: S&B's M3