Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 TPMS tire pressure system - no warning until it's too late

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On all of my previous cars and my other current cars, whenever I turn on the car and my tire pressure is low (mostly due to a nail in the tire), I immediately get a warning on the dash telling me so I don't drive on the flat tire. Then, I'm able to either fill up the tire with my air compressor and go to the tire shop and get it fixed, or just drive my other car that day and deal with it later.

On the Model 3, the TMPS doesn't give you any warning when you get into the car when a tire is low or flat, and the sensors won't give you a readout on the screen until you're already long gone from your house, at least a few miles away and already driving to your destination. Then it'll give you a low tire warning out of no where and you have to immediately stop what you're doing to address it. By then, it's a big waste of time to turn around to go back home to either fill up the tire and take it to a tire shop, or to swap out the car and drive my other one.

I realize you can visually look at your tires every time before getting into the car, but most people don't remember too do this. Plus, when you're running 20" wheels with low profile tires, a tire with very low air pressure doesn't stand out as much as it would on a taller sidewall tire, and can easily be overlooked unless you're really looking for it.

I've only owned the car for a couple of months and have put about 600 miles on it, so it's disappointing to already have a nail in one of my new tires. But I was more upset when I was driving to work in the morning, and I had to turn around and drive back home to swap out my car.... basically a good 20 min waste of time when I was on a schedule that morning. Had I known the tire had very low pressure before leaving my house, I would've just driven my other car that morning. Instead, I was late to work and missed half of an important meeting.

Am I missing something here, where there's a way the Model 3 can warn you before driving off with a flat or low air pressure tire? Just checking in case I run into this again, as I always get nails or screws in my tires when driving in LA.

Side note rant: Who makes a car these days with only one 12V outlet to use an air compressor? And, who doesn't put a 12V outlet in the trunk these days? My portable air compressor was stretching from the 12V outlet in the center console and barely reached my rear wheel to fill up. If there was a 12V outlet in the truck (like every other car I've owned or currently have), then it would be much easier to use my portable air compressor on my Model 3.

Maybe a side project will be to extend & wire up a 12V outlet into my trunk, and probably one in my frunk as well.

All TPMS I've had required some driving first. Huh.

But I agree with AltLogic, you may have picked up the nail on your drive. I've got a lot of punctures over time. You'd almost certainly recognise a truly flat tire from parking overnight via visuals, "feeling" of the car, or sound. If you still had air, you either got lucky with the puncture or picked it up on your drive.

I got a tow hook in my tire at night 30 minutes away from Denver (far from home). A tow hook!

Reactions: KyleM3 and mongo
TPMS sensors can send data both periodically when they detect rotation (driving), and when there is rapid gain/ loss in pressure (part of the learning procedure), but that is not a requirement:

FMVSS-138: : 49 CFR § 571.138 - Standard No. 138; Tire pressure monitoring systems.
S4.2 TPMS detection requirements. The tire pressure monitoring system must:

(a) Illuminate a low tire pressure warning telltale not more than 20 minutes after the inflation pressure in one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to a total of four tires, is equal to or less than either the pressure 25 percent below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure, or the pressure specified in the 3rd column of Table 1 of this standard for the corresponding type of tire, whichever is higher;

(b) Continue to illuminate the low tire pressure warning telltale as long as the pressure in any of the vehicle's tires is equal to or less than the pressure specified in S4.2(a), and the ignition locking system is in the “On” (“Run”) position, whether or not the engine is running, or until manually reset in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

Regardless of whether the tire was already deflated upon departure or he caught a nail in the driveway, the system won't know about it until the car has moved a few hundred yards. My M3 doesn't take a few miles, but that might be because I live in the country where I can accelerate to 50 mph once I'm out of my driveway. It might take longer if the car is moving slowly.

Anyway, this is a limitation the user needs to be aware of. The TPMS won't notify the user before it activates which can take a bit.

I think I can adjust the threshold pressure on my Bmw.

Tesla recently added that functionality also:
To accommodate aftermarket tires and specific off-highway driving situations (such as track events), you can reset the TPMS sensors to trigger an alert based on the currently set tire pressure instead of the default factory tire pressure. To do so, touch Service > Reset TPMS Sensors and follow the onscreen instructions

All TPMS I've had required some driving first. Huh.

But I agree with AltLogic, you may have picked up the nail on your drive. I've got a lot of punctures over time. You'd almost certainly recognise a truly flat tire from parking overnight via visuals, "feeling" of the car, or sound. If you still had air, you either got lucky with the puncture or picked it up on your drive.

I got a tow hook in my tire at night 30 minutes away from Denver (far from home). A tow hook!
Me too

On all of my previous cars and my other current cars, whenever I turn on the car and my tire pressure is low (mostly due to a nail in the tire), I immediately get a warning on the dash telling me so I don't drive on the flat tire. Then, I'm able to either fill up the tire with my air compressor and go to the tire shop and get it fixed, or just drive my other car that day and deal with it later.

On the Model 3, the TMPS doesn't give you any warning when you get into the car when a tire is low or flat, and the sensors won't give you a readout on the screen until you're already long gone from your house, at least a few miles away and already driving to your destination. Then it'll give you a low tire warning out of no where and you have to immediately stop what you're doing to address it. By then, it's a big waste of time to turn around to go back home to either fill up the tire and take it to a tire shop, or to swap out the car and drive my other one.

I realize you can visually look at your tires every time before getting into the car, but most people don't remember too do this. Plus, when you're running 20" wheels with low profile tires, a tire with very low air pressure doesn't stand out as much as it would on a taller sidewall tire, and can easily be overlooked unless you're really looking for it.

I've only owned the car for a couple of months and have put about 600 miles on it, so it's disappointing to already have a nail in one of my new tires. But I was more upset when I was driving to work in the morning, and I had to turn around and drive back home to swap out my car.... basically a good 20 min waste of time when I was on a schedule that morning. Had I known the tire had very low pressure before leaving my house, I would've just driven my other car that morning. Instead, I was late to work and missed half of an important meeting.

Am I missing something here, where there's a way the Model 3 can warn you before driving off with a flat or low air pressure tire? Just checking in case I run into this again, as I always get nails or screws in my tires when driving in LA.

Side note rant: Who makes a car these days with only one 12V outlet to use an air compressor? And, who doesn't put a 12V outlet in the trunk these days? My portable air compressor was stretching from the 12V outlet in the center console and barely reached my rear wheel to fill up. If there was a 12V outlet in the truck (like every other car I've owned or currently have), then it would be much easier to use my portable air compressor on my Model 3.

Maybe a side project will be to extend & wire up a 12V outlet into my trunk, and probably one in my frunk as well.
Wow. A real first world problem. This is a result of humans becoming too reliant on tech rather than using their eyes and brains. Before we had pressure sensors it was wise to have the habit of a visual check of the tyres etc before driving. This seems to be in the same basket as someone who complains that autopilot is responsible for their accident when they should have been paying attention to the road.

I moved to Teslas from Toyota products in 2019, though the Toyota’s were fairly old when I switched. I had a 2009 Camry and a 2012 Prius C, and both reported tire pressure only after a lengthy delay. If I had a tire with low pressure and filled it up, there was a frustratingly long delay of driving before the dashboard light went out. Did the air leak back out already, did I not add enough air, or has it just not updated yet? Tesla is not the only company with slow tire pressure updates, though my cars were old, so Toyota may have changed that by the time I migrated.