Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trunk beeping twice and stopping halfway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the exact same issue since 2022.8.2.
I could fix it by recalibrating the trunk: when it stops, just open it manually until the desired opening height and long-press the trunk button until you start hearing beeps. It should solve the issue.
Put in a service request and was told that I just need to wait for a firmware update.
Your reset idea worked. Thanks!!!

Glad I haven't connected the car to my wi-fi to update to 2022.8.2 yet (don't want Tesla snooping on me any more than they already do with the app. Ha ha). And now won't do it until the new update is ready. What else was updated with 2022.8.2? Might not even update to .3 until there's something worth doing it for :).

But my car has been randomly beeping TWICE when opening the trunk almost since I bought it on Jan 2021. What the heck does that mean? All the times it has beeped twice, the trunk has opened normally, so no issues other than the double beeping so far. Hopefully somebody knows what the double-beeping means, to know what's happening (or about to happen). Finally, probably 3 months into the ownership, the trunk stopped closing slowly, then the motor engaging to 'soft close' the trunk. It's been kind of slamming shut for about a year now. I was surprised to only see ONE freaking power strut, instead of 2, like all my current and previous vehicles. So guess one is not enough to hold the weight of the trunk for more than a few months. It doesn't close that hard, so guess no harm, but no more soft closing for a year. Am I the only one, or it's a common occurrence? I don't want dealer to mess with my car if the same thing is going to happen again soon, unless it gets worse, or it eventually causes other issues. It's an early 2021 LR, by the way, with the old headlights (which I like better), but with the heat pump. Thank you.

I wanted to share a recent Technical Service Bulletin from Tesla that fixed my automatic trunk. There is an addition of an O Ring now from Tesla to the struts of the trunk of the Model 3. This O-Ring prevents water from entering the top of the strut causing intermittent opening issues. Once you press the button, either inside or out, the trunk would only open 30-50% of the way and beep three times. This repair was done by the mobile technician and took about 20 minutes to complete.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Im on 2022.8.3 and have this issue, never had it prior. Seems to happen mostly when the car has just woken up or woken with the button.
Same over here. 2021 M3P and never had an issue until 2022.8.3 which I just got. Was going to book SC but now I’ll just wait I guess. Makes you look dumb at the grocery store when it only goes up and half way and then goes down again.

Reactions: Jason1652
I skipped .2 (car not connected to my wi-fi), and was going to install .3, but now that I see it didn't solve the issue, will wait until at least the .4 update, before updating the software. As I mentioned, my car beeps sometimes, but only twice, and it does open fully, so not sure what the beeps are communicating. Ha ha. Oh well. I'm also aware of the 'O-ring fix' now, although it hardly rains where I live. The car has only got rained on twice, I think, both times while in Austin. Maybe that's the reason the trunk started closing harder (no more soft close), but who knows. By the way, there's only ONE power strut on my 2021 M3; the other is a simple strut, like the ones found on every trunk and hood. All of my other vehicles with a power trunk/hatch have had TWO power struts, so guess Tesla cheaped-out, and that's why it can't hold the trunk to close slowly anymore. But it's still working fine, so won't mess with it until it doesn't.

I don’t get it, why are they still releasing these versions with known bugs? Isn’t preventing wide distribution of bugs the whole point of phased rollouts?

Even if they’re unwilling to roll back when bugs are found, at least don’t give it to anyone else!