Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trunk power lift failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suddenly the other day my 2022 Model 3 LR started failing to open the trunk on the first try. This happens no matter which method is used to open the trunk. On the second try and subsequent tries it will open. If I let it sit for a while it will fail again on the first try. Anyone have any ideas for an easy fix? Otherwise I guess service appointment in my future.

Video:

are you sure it is not the safety feature where the camera determines if there is enough clearance when opening the trunk?
The garage door looks very close.
Thanks for your suggestion but the problem persists even with the door open. I guess the two beeps must mean something. Perhaps something is sticking or binding and the trunk senses it as an obstruction.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Suddenly the other day my 2022 Model 3 LR started failing to open the trunk on the first try. This happens no matter which method is used to open the trunk. On the second try and subsequent tries it will open. If I let it sit for a while it will fail again on the first try. Anyone have any ideas for an easy fix? Otherwise I guess service appointment in my future.

Video:
I believe this started to happen a long while back to lots of cars when they updated the software to try to prevent the car from being damaged when there is a slight misalignment and the truck still tried to open even when it is caught on a body panel.

The fix is generally to add lube to the powered strut and then reset your trunk's max height:
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

But they did update the cars again later on and the amount of reports went down drastically (knock on wood, but for me at least, I haven't had an issue since the 2022.16 update, but I also did apply lube and readjusted the max height). Here's another thread discussing:
Model 3 trunk beeping twice and stopping halfway?

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
I believe this started to happen a long while back to lots of cars when they updated the software to try to prevent the car from being damaged when there is a slight misalignment and the truck still tried to open even when it is caught on a body panel.

The fix is generally to add lube to the powered strut and then reset your trunk's max height:
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

But they did update the cars again later on and the amount of reports went down drastically (knock on wood, but for me at least, I haven't had an issue since the 2022.16 update, but I also did apply lube and readjusted the max height). Here's another thread discussing:
Model 3 trunk beeping twice and stopping halfway?

Thanks, I will check into this more. I did reset the max height already. I’m on the fsd beta software, 11.3.6.