Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Turn Signal Quirkiness/Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
I find the Model 3 turn signals to be very finicky. I finally figured out what the trick was…
When you press lightly on them up or down you will get three turn signal flashes and then it will automatically shut off.
If you push fully up or down the turn signals will stay on until you turn the corner and which time they will automatically deactivate.
When changing lanes they will rarely deactivate after the lane change is complete.
The manual (see attached image) says to deactivate a turn signal by moving it in the opposite direction, But there’s actually a better way to accomplish this in most circumstances.
(keep reading)
Here’s where it gets a little tricky. Since they are mostly electronic they don’t actually click and lock into position mechanically. So attempting to cancel the turn signal by pushing in the opposite direction very often ends up activating the opposite turn signal blinkers. Sometimes in a seemingly endless back-and-forth loop.
And of course because the turn signal indicators are very small and off angle on the 15 inch screen you mostly are relying on the sound which of course doesn’t indicate the direction.

I recently discovered that the most sure fire way to cancel a persistent turn signal is just to push it again in the same direction. It instantly cancels and there is no risk of flipping it back on in the opposite direction. If possible it’s best to use the short 3 blink press for changing lanes just to avoid this issue altogether.

Pressing in the same direction does not seem to behave this way when driving and autopilot. I need to do a little further testing to come up with the exact specifics.
Hopes this helps others frustrated with the sticky turn signals when changing lanes.
5ADD19CB-B524-4D89-A3CB-BCA6756B85BC.jpeg

I would like to know a good way to cancel an auto lane change using the blinker.

A few times I have chosen my timing poorly, initiating an auto lane change right as someone behind me decides to make the same move. Trying to flip the blinker in the opposite direction quickly to cancel the change usually gets me into the endless blinker loop which then requires me to disengage AP lest it try to change lanes in a direction I was not planning.

Reactions: Hank42
I would like to know a good way to cancel an auto lane change using the blinker.

A few times I have chosen my timing poorly, initiating an auto lane change right as someone behind me decides to make the same move. Trying to flip the blinker in the opposite direction quickly to cancel the change usually gets me into the endless blinker loop which then requires me to disengage AP lest it try to change lanes in a direction I was not planning.
The way I always cancel it is just to prevent the lane change from occurring by holding the steering wheel from and fighting it. I’m guessing this also will disengage auto steer like any other deviation from automatic steering manually.
I tried a few experiments last night and discovered that auto lane change does eventually cancel the turn signal blinking.
Not immediately but maybe a tick or two after you stabilize in the new lane. I still have a bit more experimenting to do.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
The way I always cancel it is just to prevent the lane change from occurring by holding the steering wheel from and fighting it

I do that too, but my wheel has a pretty high torque before it breaks Autosteer. So the car jerks when it lets go, and my passengers are startled. I am currently banned from cancelling autosteer with the wheel with my husband in the car for that reason. So I would like a more graceful way to cancel a lane change that doesn't involve cancelling all of AP with the stalk.

I do that too, but my wheel has a pretty high torque before it breaks Autosteer. So the car jerks when it lets go, and my passengers are startled. I am currently banned from cancelling autosteer with the wheel with my husband in the car for that reason. So I would like a more graceful way to cancel a lane change that doesn't involve cancelling all of AP with the stalk.
Agreed.
It can be abrupt.
You can always cancel TACC and autosteer simultaneously by pushing up on the gearshift stalk on a Model 3. or by pushing forward on the cruise control/autopilot stalk on Model S/X.

My last car was a BMW E90 with the exact same turn stalk style and I actually grew to prefer it once I was used to it. Not hearing the click/thunk when the car disengages the blinker after turning is a nice improvement, and I also like the ability to cancel the blinker by pressing it softly either direction.

The soft press for 3 blinks is a common feature to make lane changes easier. My GTI has the same thing.

Page 71 of the manual (which btw is available from your Tesla account - I hadn't realized that - saves trips out to the car to look up stuff). I'll leave it up to your experimentation as to HOW to "disengage the turn indicator...".
Canceling Auto Lane Change
Auto Lane Change cancels when you manually
move the steering wheel, press the brake
pedal, or disengage the turn indicator before
Model 3 crosses the markers on the existing
lane.​

My last car was a BMW E90 with the exact same turn stalk style and I actually grew to prefer it once I was used to it. Not hearing the click/thunk when the car disengages the blinker after turning is a nice improvement, and I also like the ability to cancel the blinker by pressing it softly either direction.

The soft press for 3 blinks is a common feature to make lane changes easier. My GTI has the same thing.

I hate the stateless turn signal stalk because you can't tell if it's activated based on position -- which is really useful because your hand's already right there anyway. In particular on the E9x series where the turn signal indicator is too quiet to even hear, and in virtually every car I drive, the steering wheel blocks my view of the turn signal indicator in the dash. Tesla makes it even worse by putting the turn signal indicators on the center screen.

I can't say the "thunk" of a disengaging turn signal has ever bothered me, it's virtually inaudible in most cars. My Golf's turn signals are perfect -- and you can use VAG-COM to set it to flash 5 times which I like; I find 3 to be too few. But that's nit-picking :)

Here’s a thought. I’m thinking of suggesting Tesla change the turn signal sound effect so left and right are distinguishable from each other like walk & don’t walk are differentiated for the blind at controlled crosswalks. (of course, more subtle)
Perhaps it could be user selectable and/or configurable.
Any thoughts...

Here’s a thought. I’m thinking of suggesting Tesla change the turn signal sound effect so left and right are distinguishable from each other like walk & don’t walk are differentiated for the blind at controlled crosswalks. (of course, more subtle)
Any thoughts...
It could just call out the direction. Though I am sure some folks would be annoyed with hearing “left left left” or “right right right” after a while.

I've had no problems using the turn signals but my fiance always seems to turn on the highbeams whenever shes changing lanes. Not sure if its just at a weird angle for her but her primary car is a BMW 428i and I find the turn signals to be very similar.

Any thoughts...

I like that! And, with the latest update addition of "Emission Testing Mode", and the fart noises being activated with the turn signal, it's just a few more lines of code to have the "ludicrous fart" for turning left, and the "falcon heavy fart" for turning right!?

I've been having so much fun with the fart noises.. It's 35 degrees here, but I've been driving out in neighborhoods with my windows down, and when I go past someone walking down the street, I click the left steering wheel button and "ffffttt" or "brrrrapp"... You should see their faces! 6th grade humor I know, but I love that someone in Tesla programming shares it with me!

Any thoughts...
Tesla now lets you configure the sound (sort of:))
Tesla Farting! Easter Egg 2018.48.12.1

Any thoughts...

I like that! And, with the latest update addition of "Emission Testing Mode", and the fart noises being activated with the turn signal, it's just a few more lines of code to have the "ludicrous fart" for turning left, and the "falcon heavy fart" for turning right!?

I've been having so much fun with the fart noises.. It's 35 degrees here, but I've been driving out in neighborhoods with my windows down, and when I go past someone walking down the street, I click the left steering wheel button and "ffffttt" or "brrrrapp"... You should see their faces! 6th grade humor I know, but I love that someone in Tesla programming shares it with me!
OP here.
Funny,
I guess great minds think alike. I posted my farting Tesla video just after your post which I had not seen until after I posted mine.

I've had no problems using the turn signals but my fiance always seems to turn on the highbeams whenever shes changing lanes. Not sure if its just at a weird angle for her but her primary car is a BMW 428i and I find the turn signals to be very similar.

I come from "BMW land" for the past 12 years or so, in a 2 bmw household. The tesla turn signal is absolutely the same mechanic as my outgoing 435. It feels very natural to me, but then again I had to get used to it back when I started driving BMWs.

Interestingly enough, BMW has gone away from the style that is in the model 3, back to a more traditional stalk that you push up to signal, and it stays up (instead of the "push up to the detent, or past the detent and in either case it returns to center" style).

I prefer the way it is now in the model 3 but thats because I am used to it.