Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel cover purpose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The M3 is already so efficient I'm not too concerned about it, but see attached for my new wheel covers... they didn't come this color but I really like how they came out in silver. My M3H is next to the M3 with the stock Aero covers.

I was going to get the Nova wheels for the M3H, but opted for Photon 18's so I could choose my own covers. The Photon covers look better than the Aero's IMO but I still wanted better and stored them.
Are these both m3’s one looks more aerodynamic

I love these but they are off the car now. Wife really hated them. I really loved them.

Efficiency is unknown. They stick out more and cover the lip, so they could be worse.

If you are a weirdo and like them, ping me and I might sell them. I really want to use them again.

They are a throwback to BBS Turbofan wheels on Porsche racecars and rally cars.

Reactions: Falcon73
Who knew, hubcabs are made cool again!
I think this is such a great an economical way to change the look of the wheels and car! Bravo Tesla!
We have an M3 with 19s and go back and forth every few months between the silver 19” look and the black Uber covers look
Black M3 with black Uber covers looks like a little S Plaid , looks amazing

I think the effect of the covers is vastly overstated. I use Tessie to track all of my drives, and after a few months I removed the wheel covers and saw no difference, even on a very consistent 20 mile drive that I make weekly, which includes mostly constant driving on Autopilot at 50-60 mph with no traffic and very few lights. Even at 65-70 mph I get the same Wh/mi as people doing range tests in my car get with the covers on, and even doing 75-80 mph, I use way less battery than ABRP thinks my car is supposed to, so I have to adjust the Wh/mi setting in ABRP way down to get accurate predictions.

It’s very hard to test because even the most minor variations unrelated to the covers can make a difference… it’s almost impossible for me to do the same drive twice and get the same Wh/mi. Because of this, all of the test results you see are kind of suspect IMO unless they performed side by side 100+ mile drives dozens of times to get averages. Even Car and Driver’s results from a test track make no sense… how do the covers make 3.1% difference at 50 mph and only 2.5% difference at 70 mph… I don’t think they do. The 70 mph result sounds like it might be close, but I think the difference at 50 mph must be less than at 70 mph and they just got an invalid result on that one due to other factors.

I think they make practically 0 difference (less than 1%) below 60 mph and only 1-3% difference at normal freeway speeds of 65-80 mph.

Last edited: