Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel cover purpose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the wheel covers on the Model 3 with 18" wheels just for looks or do they direct air into the brakes or have some other purpose? I looked in the other posts but could not find comments about the purpose of the wheel covers. Thanks

Replace asap
Many sources but Rimetrix is one good source
We have them on our two M3s
1704167922975.png

1704167939534.png

Reactions: brianbcc
Are the wheel covers on the Model 3 with 18" wheels just for looks or do they direct air into the brakes or have some other purpose? I looked in the other posts but could not find comments about the purpose of the wheel covers. Thanks
Yes it makes the car more efficient by reducing drag, but this is only noticed at speeds above 65mph+ so car is 5% efficient at highway/freeway speeds. Efficiency at speeds below 65mph are insignificant

The 18" alloy wheels without the aero covers look great, especially with the midnight silver paint. You just need to buy the aero wheel cap kit to cover the lug nuts. I used the old one with individual nut caps and a small center cover, but I see the new wheel cap kit now just has a larger center cover, much like you find with the stock 19" wheels. Both really dress up the 18" alloy wheels and you can avoid the dorky-looking aero covers!

Reactions: brianbcc
Not everyone digs that look, and brake cooling is greatly reduced (but Regen doesn't heat up the brakes.)
The vents in the OEM covers are likely there to meet whatever minimum brake cooling requirements there are (in the hard use case where the friction brakes are used heavily, as opposed to gentle driving that uses all regenerative braking).

Thanks for all the answers. I was afraid you were going to say they were for aerodynamics because I like the looks of the wheels better without them. Thanks "shs1" for the idea about the wheel cap kit. I think taking them off except for road trips is a good idea also. Thanks

Reactions: shs1
I came here after searching bc i had similar questions. Not trying to stir the pot, but I'm so curious as to why there is an enormous level of interest in hubcaps/wheel covers within the tesla community. I understand the potential aero benefit of the oem covers, but do aftermarket provide similar benefits or just for looks? I just feel like wheel covers would just be hated on in any other car community yet so well embraced here.

The M3 is already so efficient I'm not too concerned about it, but see attached for my new wheel covers... they didn't come this color but I really like how they came out in silver. My M3H is next to the M3 with the stock Aero covers.

I was going to get the Nova wheels for the M3H, but opted for Photon 18's so I could choose my own covers. The Photon covers look better than the Aero's IMO but I still wanted better and stored them.

Attachments

• 20240411_121214.jpg
    20240411_121214.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 3
I came here after searching bc i had similar questions. Not trying to stir the pot, but I'm so curious as to why there is an enormous level of interest in hubcaps/wheel covers within the tesla community. I understand the potential aero benefit of the oem covers, but do aftermarket provide similar benefits or just for looks? I just feel like wheel covers would just be hated on in any other car community yet so well embraced here.
the 18" wheels are not the best looking underneath, the design is putting a wheel cover on for highest efficiency, Tesla's wheel covers are hideous looking vs the uber look from the aftermarket, the difference in range between the covers is negligible, a by product of the cover is rim rash protection...good luck

Reactions: Falcon73
But in the city, driving to and from work, say 10 KM each way, no real highways, the hub caps offer zero range savings.
Those caps are for the people who are traveling vast distances (50-100 miles or more) on highways, then I can see using the caps to save 5 % range.