Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heres a good look at the v spoked wheels.
Wheels.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Railhawk52
image.jpeg
Can somebody point out what's expected to be the default wheels, and what are expected to be the premium?

I'm bad at noticing this stuff.
Sure, assortedbread posted the base wheels. The spokes are straight with no implied aerodynamic purpose.
Note, this is a speculative guess.

Anything else is premium.

Does anyone know the reason for the five raised areas where they used to put weights?

Are those process marks like ejectors on a die cast part, or there for vibration reasons?

Like you say, they may just be from the initial casting. These wheels maybe like a Beta wheel? I would be surprised if those raised areas were there on the final product as they don't add anything. They are symmetrical so most likely have little effect on balance.

I do like them for a base wheel. They should look great once the center hub/nut caps are in place.

Like you say, they may just be from the initial casting. These wheels maybe like a Beta wheel? I would be surprised if those raised areas were there on the final product as they don't add anything. They are symmetrical so most likely have little effect on balance.

I do like them for a base wheel. They should look great once the center hub/nut caps are in place.
Either just initial casting for the wheels and those will go away, or they are intended feature for cosmetics. Each "bump" is centered within each v-spoke arrangement.

My bet is its intended cosmetic feature on wheel.

Once we know the bolt pattern, required rim diameter to clear the brakes, and backspacing, we can either get or have made a classic set of old school aluminum slot wheels, it would look weird on the 3, but better than some wheel designs I have seen.

Attachments

• aluminum slots.jpg
    aluminum slots.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 52
I wonder if they changed their mind or if the Hankooks are not ready yet.

Model 3 to get Hankook Tires
Why would you think hankooks aren't ready?

400,000 cars isn't a large order for them.

Based in South Korea, Hankook Tire was founded in 1941. The name "Hankook" actually means "Korea" in the native language, and the company produces about 50 million tires each year

Hankook Tire Reviews

Are you trying to get some clicks going? lol

View attachment 228828 What is the channel inside the wheel for?
There is also a rib for a two valve setup?

They may be attacking noise.

If you look at the inner rim profile on tubeless mountain bike tire rims, it is shaped like a valley. As the beads move out to the bead hook, the rim to tire gap closes so you can seat the beads with a floor pump.

If that is not a channel, but a uniform wall reflection of the inner rim profile, they may have built some room into the rim for some sound deadening foam attached to the rim side of the cavity. (Instead of to the tread side of the cavity).

It might actually be a channel to tune the "bell" characteristics of the rim?

If you think about it, you don't want to reflect noise toward passengers - better if it just exits away from the passengers.