Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we've seen the V spoke wheels on a lot of the the Release Candidates and I figured it would be odd for Tesla to have exposed on one option and not on the other. So I photoshopped the hubcaps we saw at the unveiling right onto the V spoked rims and it looks much better in my opinion.
output_hd2P46.gif

So far, we've seen a number of RCs, but only one with the V-spoke style. Does anyone think the turbine-style rims will be standard? I just find it odd that most of the RCs have the turbine-style rims.

The Model X mules featured a different style rim that never made it into production. I wonder if the V-spoke rims will have a similar fate.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 153
So far, we've seen a number of RCs, but only one with the V-spoke style. Does anyone think the turbine-style rims will be standard? I just find it odd that most of the RCs have the turbine-style rims.

The Model X mules featured a different style rim that never made it into production. I wonder if the V-spoke rims will have a similar fate.

That wheel did make it to production and was only recently discontinued. It was known as the "helix"

• Informative
Reactions: Tezlah
In my experience with rims on my PHEV, the turbine wheels will be somewhat more efficient than the V-spoke rims. My guess is that the turbines will give about a 5% increase in range.

So we've seen the V spoke wheels on a lot of the the Release Candidates and I figured it would be odd for Tesla to have exposed on one option and not on the other. So I photoshopped the hubcaps we saw at the unveiling right onto the V spoked rims and it looks much better in my opinion.
View attachment 228351
I think the final cap will cover the lugs also, and even fill-in right up to the spokes. I think it will give the wheel a whole different (much better) look.

there was a black one spotted at the HQ driveway (4/8), another black one (with red mirror covers) on the test track (4/29) and the black one in the Cincinnati rain (4/29) all had the V style (plus most of the white RCs caught in the wild). IMO, I expect this will be the standard the and curvier silver alpha wheels to be the upgrade.
2017-04-08 imgur1.jpg 2017-04-29 imgur1.jpg 2017-04-29 Cinc OH.png

Reactions: tracksyde and T34ME
View attachment 228351

It is funny that I see these rims as split 5 spoke. Rather than V. And don't even see anything inboard of the lug nuts. Once the load gets from the rim to the hub I don't worry about it. I do care if all the lug nuts are secure. The hub cap is not really an adder for me.

Reactions: AssortedBread
Looks like the bigger wheel's tire is a 235/40.. sadly, the wheel diameter is blocked in this picture

https://i.imgur.com/XADWdDo.jpg

View attachment 228564

Its a Continental ProContact.. and it looks like they only make a 235/40/19.. the 235/40 doesnt look like it comes in a 20"

Agreed, which means the other wheel design we've seen are most likely 235/50/17 or 235/45/18 to keep the same overall diameter.

Last edited:
Reactions: tracksyde
Pretty sure it's the ProContactRX

But it doesn't look like the ProContactRX comes in a 235/40 in any diameter. Do you think it looks more like 225 vs 235? The ProContactRX does have 225/40

Edit: looking at the picture of the red RC that just came off the truck, the tread does look like a Continental ProContact RX. Definitely doesn't look like the regular ProContact.

But currently, Contnential doesn't have a ProContact RX in a 235mm width.. in any diameter :oops:

IMG_0358.jpg

Last edited:
But it doesn't look like the ProContactRX comes in a 235/40 in any diameter. Do you think it looks more like 225 vs 235? The ProContactRX does have 225/40

Edit: looking at the picture of the red RC that just came off the truck, the tread does look like a Continental ProContact RX. Definitely doesn't look like the regular ProContact.

But currently, Contnential doesn't have a ProContact RX in a 235mm width.. in any diameter :oops:

View attachment 228581
they could have been specifically made for Tesla in that size.
ETA: i can't read the size on the photo you blew up (I actually looked at it on the copy I downloaded earlier and could clearly see the tread and most of the sidewall, but can not make out the size) so I'll leave that you you ;)
although @garsh has some good guesses to their size in this post on M3OC

How I figured they were the RX is the 'pairs' of tread at the edge of the sidewall (each section is split in 2) mixed with some triples and those edge treads have a diagonal slice going thru them that were pretty clear on the one shot posted this morning
PROCONTACT%20RX%20SSR_t.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 22522 and tracksyde