Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 24 miles in 2weeks completely dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I find these posts a little hard to believe. First time poster, no follow up.
No, I believe them. I think that the OP didn’t like the responses he/she was getting and doesn’t want to respond.

It sounds like some electronics failure and I got the impression that the OP thought that the replacement of a “major component “ would never be correct. Its just not true. Something is broken, it gets fixed. Case closed.

Real annoying problems exist when service can’t find the problem and or keeps getting a car back in the shop for the same problem. Now that is a lemon. The OP is talking about a first time fix - not a lemon.

Gee they did just post Today! Let's give them some time to come back and update.

There have a been a few reports over the years I've read on here where someone's new car had a problem where something similar happened (like couldn't start). While disconcerting to have it happen on a new car, from what I remember they had the car serviced and the problem was found and fix. Not everyone will come back and update but I remember reading a few people did and said months later haven't had any issues.

While not the same thing we had our new MS have an intermittent charge port issue where we couldn't charge the car on the way home from having picked it up. They had showed us how to charge the car at delivery so it was working then. Luckily we were able to drive it back to one of the service centers, they were able to recreate it a few times, and ordered the part and replace it a few days later when it came in. Had the car almost 3 years now and never had a charge port issue again. So OP I would let them diagnose the issue and fix it. Don't assume the car will continue to have a problem. Do come back and update us though.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I am frustrated that they don't understand my request to get this car replaced. They insist on getting it repaired but I do not feel safe to drive it even after repair knowing that the car is severely defective.

Any ideas or suggestions please?

I can understand your frustration, but allow me to share my $0.02 on this.

As you describe it, I don't see this as a "severely defective" car: you had a bad part in your car. It happens and they took care of it (presumably; you don't state if you have taken back possession of the car and/or driven it since the repairs).

The way you describe the issue, it is a ONE TIME issue. To qualify for lemon laws, the vehicle has to fail repeatedly.

Give it some time. The car isn't unsafe. Drive it for a while and if you keep getting issues, THEN you might have something.

Good luck.

sorry for delay in follow up. Couple of clarifications:
1. I was out of country for vacation after picking up car from dealership. This is the reason I did not get to drive much
2. After 2 weeks at service center, it seems the root cause is a crimped wire that causes left VC to not function. Part is now replaced and they think it is now safe to drive.

Tesla advisor raised a buyback request on my behalf and awaiting approval. Not sure how I should proceed. If I accept buyback and purchase another brand new car - will lose fed tax credit that I was eligible for ? (since my original purchase was before Dec31 2019).

Tesla advisor raised a buyback request on my behalf and awaiting approval. Not sure how I should proceed. If I accept buyback and purchase another brand new car - will lose fed tax credit that I was eligible for ? (since my original purchase was before Dec31 2019).

If you did not purchase with the intention of selling the car back, then you are free to claim the credit.. It is now a used car and no one can claim any future credit on it besides the first purchaser.

1. I was out of country for vacation after picking up car from dealership. This is the reason I did not get to drive much
2. After 2 weeks at service center, it seems the root cause is a crimped wire that causes left VC to not function. Part is now replaced and they think it is now safe to drive.

Honestly, if the problem is solved; you’re probably better off keeping it. You know all of the modules have been tested and inspected and the vehicle has been checked over and over. You got a free health check inspection - should be great for hundreds of thousands of miles.

If you did not purchase with the intention of selling the car back, then you are free to claim the credit.. It is now a used car and no one can claim any future credit on it besides the first purchaser.
I definitely bought it with a long term use (that is the reason I chose purchase instead of lease) but the experience is very bad with car. (multiple technicians unable to even unlock the car after many attempts for hours at service center was very surprising). I am not sure if they would even approve buyback. Its just an option they are looking into at this time.

If it was a crimped wire and they fixed it, keep the car. That is a very plausible cause for the symptoms you described.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obsoletion
You need to find out what is wrong with it. If it’s just a bad computer part and they replace the part the car will be back to new again and you may never experience another problem with it.

But this is a good reminder why you should never buy a Tesla and then not drive it for the next 7 days. That 7 day window is your opportunity to make sure everything is OK.

I agree. Took it on a road trip within the 7 day period exactly for that reason.

Thank you all for your comments. I want to update the group with status and hopefully close the topic. Tesla finally fixed the issue by replacing 12v battery, crimped wire, left controller etc. I picked up the car and drove 200+miles so far so good. Frustrating part is that they caused few scratches on hood that covers frunk during service. I know this is not major. When I asked the service manager, he said they will detail and fix it. I was assured it will be taken care of. However, now I need to schedule this work with them (no appmt available for next 45days) and go back and forth. I know these are minor but overall experience on service side of things is extremely frustrating.

Thank you all for your comments. I want to update the group with status and hopefully close the topic. Tesla finally fixed the issue by replacing 12v battery, crimped wire, left controller etc. I picked up the car and drove 200+miles so far so good. Frustrating part is that they caused few scratches on hood that covers frunk during service. I know this is not major. When I asked the service manager, he said they will detail and fix it. I was assured it will be taken care of. However, now I need to schedule this work with them (no appmt available for next 45days) and go back and forth. I know these are minor but overall experience on service side of things is extremely frustrating.

You mean you dont want to wait a month or two to burn another day to have them fix the damage they added to your new car? what's wrong with you man. ;) I drive 2+ hrs each way so it really is annoying when service frequently does that stuff... Glad the car is function for your now though...