Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 without daily charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

New to the Tesla club. I am anticipating a Model 3 LR in a few days, so I am learning about the vehicle even more now. I am curious about charging, since I do not have the ability to charge the car at home. I know, many of you will tell me that this is inconvenient to have an EV without ability to charge at home... but in my situation, it is worth it to still go with EV.

Here is my routine:
My daily commute will be about 10km .. which is about 50-60km per week. I assume this drains 10-15% of battery? So in 2 weeks, I would lose about ~30% battery. Which from 100% goes down to 70% .. or from 80% goes down to 50%.

AND, since I have a longer trip (400+km) once every month, I can then charge it back to 80 or 100% to make the trip. So I would basically always cycle between 50%-80/100%. Worst case scenario: I would go down to 20% before plugged it in.
The only thing is, that I do not have an option to daily charge it.

My question:
Do you think this is still good enough for battery longevity? I am trying to limit my 'inconvenience' of not having EV charger at home and optimize the charging with my routines that are anyway fixed.

I know in Owner's Manual they recommend to keep it plugged in if the vehicle is not going to be used to SEVERAL WEEKS. However, I will be using it daily - just it is for small commutes that maybe drain 3-5% of battery each day.. and then at the end of the week I either charge it at supermarkets or superchargers.

I am trying to figure out if having a charging stations is a MUST for owning an EV, otherwise your car will die soon. Since this would be significant difference compares to ICE vehicles - as I do not have to have a Petrol / Gas station at home in order to use my ICE car - while I agree that would be convenient, it is of course not impacting my ICE car. I am just wondering whether it impacts EV cars (not having charger at home).

Thanks.

Your car will be fine. However, you should turn off sentry mode, and don't precondition the cabin to minimize power consumption when the car is parked. Also a simple exterior AC outlet makes a perfectly fine charging station for someone with your driving needs.
Does Sentry Mode drain too much battery? I live in an apartment, and have to park outside on a quite big parking lot, so it wouldn't be bad to have Sentry Mode during the night. However, it is not strictly necessary, I mean lots of cars do not have that option at all. As for precondition, I can turn that off indeed.

As for AC outlet - unfortunately, as you can see in my previous comment, I live in an apartment and we do not have an option to bring 'electricity' down to parking lots and have them charge my 'apartment'.

Does Sentry Mode drain too much battery? I live in an apartment, and have to park outside on a quite big parking lot, so it wouldn't be bad to have Sentry Mode during the night. However, it is not strictly necessary, I mean lots of cars do not have that option at all. As for precondition, I can turn that off indeed.

As for AC outlet - unfortunately, as you can see in my previous comment, I live in an apartment and we do not have an option to bring 'electricity' down to parking lots and have them charge my 'apartment'.
Sentry does tend to be also known for its "vampire" drain. I forget how much %/day it does. You might want to just try it out for getting the proper data points on it, though.

Sentry does tend to be also known for its "vampire" drain. I forget how much %/day it does. You might want to just try it out for getting the proper data points on it, though.
Will do that, I will test it and if it is too much, I might just turn it off. But since I live in a city, chargers are everywhere nearby, so it wont be too inconvenient if I need to go charge it at the mall / supermarket, while I do groceries. As last straw, at work there are 4 chargers just next to our building, so I could use that if it gets low. A bit pricy charging rate, but still OK.

Sentry mode will use about 3-5% per night, IIRC.

Some apartment complexes that have exterior AC outlets in their parking lots, will let you charge using the outlets, as long as you pay for the power used. Your car will report the amount of power received. I charge my model 3 in our apartment complex's underground parking lot via an AC outlet and I reimburse the complex for the power used.

My daily commute will be about 10km .. which is about 50-60km per week. I assume this drains 10-15% of battery? So in 2 weeks, I would lose about ~30% battery. Which from 100% goes down to 70% .. or from 80% goes down to 50%.

I have said this in multiple threads over the years at this point, but this line of thinking is one of the biggest mistakes that prospective EV owners make. Its some variation of:

" I only drive XXX daily, so multiply that my weekly commute, thats only YYY, and the car has ZZZ range so I will be able to charge only every (insert some long time like every 12-14 days).

It isnt going to work that way. You will end up charging probably at least twice as much as you think you are going to.

This is Triply so if you are planning on using sentry mode, which, frankly, people who dont have home parking (thus no garage) almost always plan to use. It simply is not going to work like you think.

First, you will not be charging driving the car from 100-0, you will be charging it from 80-90% to about 30%. The US model 3 long range has a 341 mile range. 80% of that is 272. 30% of that is 102. That means your 341 mile range vehicle, in actual use (provided miles roll off 1:1 which they dont) has an "effective" range of 170 miles.

Short trips use more range than longer ones, for an EV (and for an ICE vehicle too but its magnified on an EV since you have so relatively little actual energy you are rolling around on). "miles" dont roll off 1:1. A 10km commute (which is around 6 miles ), depending on weather, road conditions etc could roll off the range meter anywhere from 5-6 miles, to close to 15-20 miles. Expect it to be closer to 10-12 miles rolling off for that 6 mile commute.

Sentry mode can use as much as 1 mile per hour of usage. Its normally a bit less but expect Sentry mode to use around 15-18 miles range per 24 hour period.

So, 6 mile commute plus parking, then sentry mode on for 20 hours or so, = probably 25 ish miles or range off the car, every day. Multiply that by 5 days and thats 125 miles of your 170 miles range. you would likely need to charge this car every 8 to maybe 9 days, you are not going to get 14 days out of it and "still have plenty left over" especially if you use sentry mode.

Can you do it? Absolutely, people do it all the time. Just dont expect to only need to charge the car every 2 weeks and have plenty left over before you do, or you are in for a world of disappointment.

Do you think this is still good enough for battery longevity?
JJ is right that you'll probably need to charge more often than calculated (please report back once you've had the car awhile), but as for battery longevity, you'll be fine.

I have said this in multiple threads over the years at this point, but this line of thinking is one of the biggest mistakes that prospective EV owners make. Its some variation of:

" I only drive XXX daily, so multiply that my weekly commute, thats only YYY, and the car has ZZZ range so I will be able to charge only every (insert some long time like every 12-14 days).

It isnt going to work that way. You will end up charging probably at least twice as much as you think you are going to.

This is Triply so if you are planning on using sentry mode, which, frankly, people who dont have home parking (thus no garage) almost always plan to use. It simply is not going to work like you think.

First, you will not be charging driving the car from 100-0, you will be charging it from 80-90% to about 30%. The US model 3 long range has a 341 mile range. 80% of that is 272. 30% of that is 102. That means your 341 mile range vehicle, in actual use (provided miles roll off 1:1 which they dont) has an "effective" range of 170 miles.

Short trips use more range than longer ones, for an EV (and for an ICE vehicle too but its magnified on an EV since you have so relatively little actual energy you are rolling around on). "miles" dont roll off 1:1. A 10km commute (which is around 6 miles ), depending on weather, road conditions etc could roll off the range meter anywhere from 5-6 miles, to close to 15-20 miles. Expect it to be closer to 10-12 miles rolling off for that 6 mile commute.

Sentry mode can use as much as 1 mile per hour of usage. Its normally a bit less but expect Sentry mode to use around 15-18 miles range per 24 hour period.

So, 6 mile commute plus parking, then sentry mode on for 20 hours or so, = probably 25 ish miles or range off the car, every day. Multiply that by 5 days and thats 125 miles of your 170 miles range. you would likely need to charge this car every 8 to maybe 9 days, you are not going to get 14 days out of it and "still have plenty left over" especially if you use sentry mode.

Can you do it? Absolutely, people do it all the time. Just dont expect to only need to charge the car every 2 weeks and have plenty left over before you do, or you are in for a world of disappointment.
Thanks alot for this. You are right, I was thinking too optimistically. If I get 5 days it is still perfect for me, as I have to do groceries every few days, where I can plug it in for those 2 hours. Granted, I wont get much of charge with 11 kWh chargin statiom, but hopefully enough until I hit my monthly long commute where I can also Supercharge.

Is there any good reference in this Forum for Sentry Mode? Like how often it triggers on parking lots? For instance if someone parks next to you etc. can you turn it on via Mobile App? So that during day its off, but during the night I can turn it on.

Thanks alot for this. You are right, I was thinking too optimistically. If I get 5 days it is still perfect for me, as I have to do groceries every few days, where I can plug it in for those 2 hours. Granted, I wont get much of charge with 11 kWh chargin statiom, but hopefully enough until I hit my monthly long commute where I can also Supercharge.

Is there any good reference in this Forum for Sentry Mode? Like how often it triggers on parking lots? For instance if someone parks next to you etc. can you turn it on via Mobile App? So that during day its off, but during the night I can turn it on.
How often it triggers is going to be based on whats around your car, HOWEVER, "how often it triggers" does not have anything (zero) to do with how much power it uses. The power use comes from the car staying awake, not from triggering the cameras.

Just plan on the car using roughly 1km an hour or so, just sitting there, while sentry mode is on, for every hour its on (whether there are alerts or not).

Will do that, I will test it and if it is too much, I might just turn it off. But since I live in a city, chargers are everywhere nearby, so it wont be too inconvenient if I need to go charge it at the mall / supermarket, while I do groceries. As last straw, at work there are 4 chargers just next to our building, so I could use that if it gets low. A bit pricy charging rate, but still OK.
Probably still cheaper in your country than ours, because of your adoption rate.

Over the past couple of years with a 2022 MSLR I have developed a routine. I’ve read tons of info from @AAKEE and other forum members. A few basics helped form my routine.

Calendar aging is unstoppable and nothing you do will lessen it.

Smaller battery degradation is helped by keeping charge cycles shallow and max charge to 55%.

So, my car is charged after every trip to 55%. It doesn't matter if one trip uses only 4% or if the car is taken out more than once a day. It gets charged to 55% right after every trip when the battery is warm.

When going to Los Angeles, the car will get charged to 85%. For the return trip it is Super Charged in order to arrive home with just under 55%, then gets charged to 55% at home.

Use the Tessie app to monitor battery degredation.

My situation is not like yours at all. I included it here and suggest reading posts from @AAKEE to give you a broader view of batteries.

Last edited:
As people have mentioned Sentry Mode is going to kill you...and if you disable it you are going to be perpetually paranoid. You probably wont be able to bring yourself to disabling it.
It's at least 5% a day. 5days*5% = 25% drain for a car basically doing nothing.

And, I guess, there's a couple of other things, but for later on this year in the fall.

Contrary to some panic-stricken types, Teslas generally drive fine in the cold. Modern Teslas have a heat pump system (read: Running an air conditioner in reverse) that warms the cabin. Your M3 LR gets around 250 W-hr/mile (calculating.. 1.6 km/mile, so that's..) or 156 W-hr/km; in the wintertime, with temperatures near 0C, one would expect that to go to around 280 W-hr/mile (175 W-hr/km). That's not terrible, but it a bit of reduction in range.

The real problem is with charging. In the US our standard wall outlets are 120 VAC @ 12A, for a charging rate of 1440 W. That works out to, for a LR M3, a rate of some 5 miles/hour (8 km/mile).. which works in the summertime.

The problem is that the car needs to warm up the battery to charge it. And with the battery being as wide as the car and as long as the distance between the front and rear wheels, the surface area of the battery pack is large enough so that 1440 W isn't enough to warm the battery. For those of us on this side of the pond, attempting to charge from a standard 120 VAC wall socket results in either no charging or some small 1 mile of charge per hour rate.

The solution is to charge at a higher rate, enough to get the battery warm enough so it can charge. For AC charging, that magic number over here seem to be around 240 VAC at something north of 15A or so, or around 3.6 kW.

Public chargers in the U.S. that are L2 tend to be 240 VAC @ 32A, or around 7.68 kW. Of course, Superchargers are all well above 78 kW and don't have that problem. Modern Superchargers on this side of the pond are all at 250 kW, with the occasional older one at 150 kW.

But this leads to the other problem that cropped up this last winter over here: People who were trying to use Supercharging for more-or-less standard running around.

So, let's take this from the top. Under ideal conditions, with drivers with warmed-up batteries. and Superchargers with, I dunno, 16 stalls, it takes about 20 minutes to go from a near-empty battery to one that has 80% charge. So, in principle, one could move 16*(60/20) = 48 cars an hour through this Supercharger in the dead of winter.

But! Note that I said warmed up battery. If the battery isn't warm and one shows up at a Supercharger, the car is going to charge at a much reduced rate until the battery gets warmed and can take the higher power levels. So, instead of being in and out in 20 minutes, it might take 20 minutes to warm up, then another amount of time to charge to 80%. So, instead of getting 48 cars per hour through the Supercharger, one is only getting half that, 24 cars per hour. Oops.

Now one has a line of cars waiting to charge. And, if the battery had been warmed up, it cools down since It's Cold Outside. Worse, people show up at the Supercharger with only a few percent of battery capacity, they wait in line, with the heat on.. and run out of charge. Now there's people blocking the line, maybe. And it takes a flatbed tow truck to get the car taken somewhere to be emergency charged. Urgle.

You see, Superchargers are really meant for people who are going on trips. So, one chargers (at home, natch) to some high level and, during the navigation, the car learns that one is heading to a Supercharger. The car's running anyway, so the pre-emptive heating of the battery (that's preconditioning) doesn't use that much more energy, and assures the owner that the actual charging session will be short and sweet.

Um. Back to the crowds swarming a Supercharger in the Winter. If a Tesla owner lives 1 km away, wakes up on a chill morning at -5C, grabs a cup of coffee, and takes off for the Supercharger, being careful to tell the NAV where the car is going so it knows to precondition (there's no other way to tell the car), the time it takes to go that 1 km isn't going to be long enough for the battery to get warm. Oops. 5 km is more like what's needed.

(FWIW, I've been on trips between NY City and Boston, about 320 km, with a scheduled stop at a Supercharger 160 km up the road. The car will put up a message, "Preconditioning for charging" when I'm 100 km away from the Supercharger. Really.)

These kinds of problems aren't really an issue for home charging. First off, my home charging situation is that I've got 240 VAC @ 48A = 11.52 kW. That's much lower charge rate than a Supercharger, but it's more than enough to warm the battery to take a charge, so I get around 46 miles of charge per hour, even in the dead of winter. That works out to be around 5 hours to charge to 80% or so, which is overnight.

So.. You're parking in a parking lot near your apartment. I'd suggest a couple of things:
  • If your travel is a commute to work, check to see if work has L2 chargers. It's not unusual in the US for workplaces to install a few L2 chargers in the company parking lot for the employees to use. My old workplace (before I retired) had done just that, with six or so L2 chargers, reserved for employees, at a lower rate for the energy that what people paid for at home.
  • Scout the area for L2 chargers. I don't know if Slovenia has these, but it's not uncommon for libraries, city halls, and other government buildings to have L2 chargers. There's an app in common use in the U.S. called, "Plugshare".. Oh, well. I just tried, and it shows Plugshare locations in Austria, North Italy, and other countries around you, but none in Slovenia.
  • Saying this carefully.. In the US, people own what are called "Mobile Homes". These "Campers", as they're called, have small kitchens, a bedroom, and such and people tour all over in them. Some particularly enthusiastic sorts actually live in these, year round. But all of them have an electrical connection to run the appliances and lights, and there are "campgrounds" that cater to the enthusiasts that, always, have a post with an high-power electrical socket on it. For that reason, early versions of Teslas, in the days before Superchargers became widespread, would come with a Tesla Mobile Connector and the high-power adapter, a NEMA14-50, so that a Tesla stuck in the middle of nowhere could get charged. Those campgrounds are, pretty much, everywhere. They got any near where you live or work?
  • So, some years back, on another forum, a newbie showed up on another forum; he lived in Minot, North Dakota, and was a science teacher at the local high school, and asked that forum if we thought that him and his soon-to-be-gotten 2019 M3 would work out there. Minot is one of those places in the world where -40C temperatures in the winter aren't unheard of. We kind of pointed that out to him and told him that a standard wall socket wouldn't work. He happened to rent an apartment in a house, and so asked his landlord if said landlord would allow a L2 charger (or a NEMA14-50 socket) could be installed. The landlord was amenable, actually, and they installed a L2 charger, if memory serves. And this fellow went on to impress the students at his high school with his electric car. There's a point to this story: Asking the landlord for an accommodation like this isn't at all unusual, especially when electric cars are Coming, and everybody knows it. Having a L2 charger or four on posts makes the apartments in the building more desirable. So.. ask your landlord? You may be surprised.
I've actually helped a few people get things like this organized. In the US, there's lots of companies that make L2 chargers that a landlord can buy; others that will install a L2 charger that sells electricity, and that sale can be subsidized or be made free, depending upon how much effort/expense the landlord would like to do. Unfortunately, my expertise, such as it is, only works for what I know about North American electrical standards, and I have zero idea how the electricity works in places like Slovenia.

FWIW, Tesla, the company, actually sells turnkey L2 charging systems to landlords and such, but the ones I know about I got to from Tesla's web site for the US market. You might ask your local Service Center for some advice? Or find a country-specific forum on TMC that covers Slovenia and see if you can find some help there?

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Eric33432 and KenC
Hey everyone,

New to the Tesla club. I am anticipating a Model 3 LR in a few days, so I am learning about the vehicle even more now. I am curious about charging, since I do not have the ability to charge the car at home. I know, many of you will tell me that this is inconvenient to have an EV without ability to charge at home... but in my situation, it is worth it to still go with EV.

Here is my routine:

AND, since I have a longer trip (400+km) once every month, I can then charge it back to 80 or 100% to make the trip. So I would basically always cycle between 50%-80/100%. Worst case scenario: I would go down to 20% before plugged it in.
The only thing is, that I do not have an option to daily charge it.

My question:
Do you think this is still good enough for battery longevity? I am trying to limit my 'inconvenience' of not having EV charger at home and optimize the charging with my routines that are anyway fixed.

I know in Owner's Manual they recommend to keep it plugged in if the vehicle is not going to be used to SEVERAL WEEKS. However, I will be using it daily - just it is for small commutes that maybe drain 3-5% of battery each day.. and then at the end of the week I either charge it at supermarkets or superchargers.

I am trying to figure out if having a charging stations is a MUST for owning an EV, otherwise your car will die soon. Since this would be significant difference compares to ICE vehicles - as I do not have to have a Petrol / Gas station at home in order to use my ICE car - while I agree that would be convenient, it is of course not impacting my ICE car. I am just wondering whether it impacts EV cars (not having charger at home).

Thanks.
I have a Model Y. bought in mid-January. I do NOT have home charging. I typically drive about 90 miles a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. That's approximately what you are driving, if I've converted correctly. I occasionally dirve around 250 miles in a day, in which case I charge twice along the way (once up the coast, and once back). For my usual driving, I charge at a Supercharger up to 80% maybe once every ten days. For regular use, I charge at a SC near a convenient supermarket and do my shopping in the 20-25 minutes it takes to charge from 40% or so to 80%. I have not found it to be a problem at all. Hope this was helpful.

Probably still cheaper in your country than ours, because of your adoption rate.
From what I can tell at 11 kW chargers, it is 0.35 EUR / kWh. And then there is 0.5 EUR fixed 'entry' to use charger. And after 3 hours of charging, it is 0.05 EUR / min of charge additionally.

I have a Model Y. bought in mid-January. I do NOT have home charging. I typically drive about 90 miles a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. That's approximately what you are driving, if I've converted correctly. I occasionally dirve around 250 miles in a day, in which case I charge twice along the way (once up the coast, and once back). For my usual driving, I charge at a Supercharger up to 80% maybe once every ten days. For regular use, I charge at a SC near a convenient supermarket and do my shopping in the 20-25 minutes it takes to charge from 40% or so to 80%. I have not found it to be a problem at all. Hope this was helpful.
Great insights! Thanks for sharing this - feels like we will have similar situation! Can't wait to share my experience with Model 3. Hope it is the same as yours. I do not have a SC near supermarket, only L2... but usually we spend about 2 hours at supermarket at end of weeks, so should get enough 'juice' for the next week needs. And we also visit our family which live quite far away at least once a month, where we have SC on the road and I can then top it up.

I am excited to own Tesla! Was a big dream of mine - it sucks a bit that I do not have home charging, but we plan to move soon anyway and I can see that all new apartments / houses here now have EV charging in garages now.

• Love
Reactions: Eric33432

Just to pick up on your final question re Sentry:
You can switch it on/off via the app. No problem. You can also (in the car) exclude 'favourites' such as home address, work address, or other i.e. I have excluded home. So when my car is parked in front of my house, Sentry will not enable. When I park elsewhere however, it will enable. Unless I tell it not to. In my fairly short time with my MYP but having parked a couple of times in airports, I'd say the car loses around 4% per day with a combination of Sentry on, and me constantly checking the app to make sure the car is ok! Every time you check the app, it wakes the car up. So don't do it unless you need to.

BTW, and I'm sure there will be plenty discussion on this forum about this topic, but Elon announced a month or two back that his engineers had developed a way to reduce that drain on the battery every time the car is woken up. He said (if I recall) by about 40%. Now, Elon says, and Elon does can be very different things. But if that does turn out to be true it would be a very welcome update.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eric33432
Just to pick up on your final question re Sentry:
You can switch it on/off via the app. No problem. You can also (in the car) exclude 'favourites' such as home address, work address, or other i.e. I have excluded home. So when my car is parked in front of my house, Sentry will not enable. When I park elsewhere however, it will enable. Unless I tell it not to. In my fairly short time with my MYP but having parked a couple of times in airports, I'd say the car loses around 4% per day with a combination of Sentry on, and me constantly checking the app to make sure the car is ok! Every time you check the app, it wakes the car up. So don't do it unless you need to.

BTW, and I'm sure there will be plenty discussion on this forum about this topic, but Elon announced a month or two back that his engineers had developed a way to reduce that drain on the battery every time the car is woken up. He said (if I recall) by about 40%. Now, Elon says, and Elon does can be very different things. But if that does turn out to be true it would be a very welcome update.
Awesome, love the fact that we can enable Sentry via the app. And also the 'favourites' is very good! For example, when I visit my family, they have a house so I don't need sentry there. Also at work, we have a secure parking, so I could exclude that too. Very good!

4-5% seems to be what people say that Sentry takes. Its by no means small amount, 25% per 5 days is quite a toll. I will have to probably go charge it at work for few hours every few days. In ideal scenario (based on Tesla 'consumption estimate') I calculated I would lose 2% battery for my daily commute, which is 10% per 5 days... totalling 35% per work week. And yes, I was already told here that the 'theoretical' scenarios never apply.

However, I am curious what the real value will be - it surprised me that someone here at Forums said that EVs are LESS efficient in city driving than ICE. In my experience, ICE cars that I owned had a much bigger consumption (L / km) whlie driving in city, compared to highways. I wonder why an electric motor would have harder time at lower speeds than ICE (50km/h).... my engineering skills seem to get rusty over the years :)

Awesome, love the fact that we can enable Sentry via the app. And also the 'favourites' is very good! For example, when I visit my family, they have a house so I don't need sentry there. Also at work, we have a secure parking, so I could exclude that too. Very good!

4-5% seems to be what people say that Sentry takes. Its by no means small amount, 25% per 5 days is quite a toll. I will have to probably go charge it at work for few hours every few days. In ideal scenario (based on Tesla 'consumption estimate') I calculated I would lose 2% battery for my daily commute, which is 10% per 5 days... totalling 35% per work week. And yes, I was already told here that the 'theoretical' scenarios never apply.

However, I am curious what the real value will be - it surprised me that someone here at Forums said that EVs are LESS efficient in city driving than ICE. In my experience, ICE cars that I owned had a much bigger consumption (L / km) whlie driving in city, compared to highways. I wonder why an electric motor would have harder time at lower speeds than ICE (50km/h).... my engineering skills seem to get rusty over the years :)
For what it’s worth, Teslas come with a bunch of small software applications that do various things. As you’ll discover, there are apps to play things like Apple Podcasts, display Sentry Mode and driving clips, the manual and videos for the car, a web browser, and a number of other things, about 20 or so, all accessible by tapping the “triple dot” icon at the bottom of the screen.

One of those apps is the Energy app. Besides displaying a pair of nifty plots, one of energy usage vs. distance and another showing projected battery capacity vs your current drive (and how your driving habits, the weather, the hills one is driving over, and other factors are affecting the range estimate), there’s a tab that shows how things that the car is doing while parked is affecting the range of the car. These include things like cabin overheat protection, waking the car up remotely, and very definitely Sentry Mode. The demerits’ effects are given in distance; over here in the US these are in miles, over there they’ll be in km. I imagine you’ll find this useful.

Reactions: Nightcorey
For what it’s worth, Teslas come with a bunch of small software applications that do various things. As you’ll discover, there are apps to play things like Apple Podcasts, display Sentry Mode and driving clips, the manual and videos for the car, a web browser, and a number of other things, about 20 or so, all accessible by tapping the “triple dot” icon at the bottom of the screen.

One of those apps is the Energy app. Besides displaying a pair of nifty plots, one of energy usage vs. distance and another showing projected battery capacity vs your current drive (and how your driving habits, the weather, the hills one is driving over, and other factors are affecting the range estimate), there’s a tab that shows how things that the car is doing while parked is affecting the range of the car. These include things like cabin overheat protection, waking the car up remotely, and very definitely Sentry Mode. The demerits’ effects are given in distance; over here in the US these are in miles, over there they’ll be in km. I imagine you’ll find this useful.
Woa, cool information! I have to say, there is soo much to learn about these cars, especially the 'neat picks' - and I tried to go over the official Owner's Manual to learn all, but it seems that I learn here more practical usages and information.

The capabilities of this Energy app to kinda estimate our 'energy expense' and 'driving habits' is really good info and indicator that will for sure help me out in understanding how I could optimise some things too! Thanks for sharing!