Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3/Y Yoke Style Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel [hansshow]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually used to the yoke now and haven't had any issues using it for day to day driving.

Have you tried it in an emergency maneuver? Day-to-day driving is one thing. I could use a pair of pliers and get by. But it's another thing when you're on the brink of losing control of the vehicle.

Don't know why you feel the need to troll all kinds of threads reaffirming that choice

I think it's dangerous to one's self and to other drivers to be on the road with a yoke that's attached to an otherwise normal steering setup.

Reactions: drdumont and Clivew
Times are a changin'
You say that as if driving with an inferior interface is some kind of social movement that will leave behind the fuddy-duddies. It's not. You are not on the cusp of some recolution in how people use cars. You're a guy trying to mix up his own recipe of clear cola after seeing some cool kids drinking Crystal Pepsi.

But it's worse than that because you're taking this nonsense to public streets where we all have to share the road with you.

• Love
Reactions: drdumont and Clivew
I have a hard time reconciling those statements.

Given that a yoke is demonstrably less effective of a steering instrument as a normal wheel, it is very hard for me to understand why one would elect to make this change for something as minor as increased visibility of the dash and just a general preference for minimalism.

You say that as if driving with an inferior interface is some kind of social movement that will leave behind the fuddy-duddies. It's not. You are not on the cusp of some recolution in how people use cars. You're a guy trying to mix up his own recipe of clear cola after seeing some cool kids drinking Crystal Pepsi.

But it's worse than that because you're taking this nonsense to public streets where we all have to share the road with you.

I don't understand why some feel the need to write and sound like English professors on forums, other than personal taste, but here we are. 🤷‍♂️ :rolleyes:

The connector is present on all cars! Even 2018 cars!

No, its not. The connector they speak of is the blue one thats in the lower part of the steering wheel. Note the pic of its location. I had a 2020 Model 3, and it was not present. In my 21 Model Y, it is.

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f36414d4d4c35512e6a7067-2.jpg

No, its not. The connector they speak of is the blue one thats in the lower part of the steering wheel. Note the pic of its location. I had a 2020 Model 3, and it was not present. In my 21 Model Y, it is.

View attachment 715756

there have been multiple posts here confirming that even the 2018 model 3s have an unused wire which was then later used for the heating element? is it just that the blue connector has to be wired/soldered onto that wire?

there have been multiple posts here confirming that even the 2018 model 3s have an unused wire which was then later used for the heating element? is it just that the blue connector has to be wired/soldered onto that wire?

There are also numerous posts, and two separate wheels, one heated, one not. Thats the part I was referring to.

The connector is present on all cars! Even 2018 cars!

My 2021 M3 wheel internals definitely had an extra connector that the Hansshow one didn't have for the heating element. But since I don't use the heated wheel I didn't care the new wheel wasn't heated. Regardless a Tesla tech would have to turn on the heating function in the software if your car didn't come with it, and I know they're weird about doing that.

My review on these aftermarket yokes.

I think it's dangerous to one's self and to other drivers to be on the road with a yoke that's attached to an otherwise normal steering setup.
You could say the same thing about any car, that makes any modification. Ever seen a lowered or raised car/truck? Swingarm extension on a motorcycle? Wider rims, than stock? All these things effect driving more than changing to a yoke steering wheel. Do you have issues with any of the things I mentioned above? Have you done any of those mods?

@GreenHokie

I assume you've received your yoke by now. Can you share some photos on how it looks built into your car? Really curious about this!

@rrohde

Yes, I posted some photos and provided a lot of feedback in the attached thread… Hopefully, the attached link takes you directly to my post with the photos. If not, I believe it was post #238 on page 12. Also, look before and after post #238 for additional comments and photos. In summary, I really love this particular yoke!! Definitely, one of my best mods so far!

Post in thread '2021 Model 3 LR with yoke steering wheel'
2021 Model 3 LR with yoke steering wheel

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LBM4 and jebinc
@rrohde

Yes, I posted some photos and provided a lot of feedback in the attached thread… Hopefully, the attached link takes you directly to my post with the photos. If not, I believe it was post #238 on page 12. Also, look before and after post #238 for additional comments and photos. In summary, I really love this particular yoke!! Definitely, one of my best mods so far!

Post in thread '2021 Model 3 LR with yoke steering wheel'
2021 Model 3 LR with yoke steering wheel
Pulled the trigger and bought a CF yoke of AliExpress today on their 11.11 sale. Primarily based off your posts and what I have seen on Youtube. Thanks for the link to the other thread.... it was informative and helpful. Should have my yoke on Nov 22 via DHL.

Pulled the trigger and bought a CF yoke of AliExpress today on their 11.11 sale. Primarily based off your posts and what I have seen on Youtube. Thanks for the link to the other thread.... it was informative and helpful. Should have my yoke on Nov 22 via DHL.
You’re welcome. The photo in your avatar suggests you have a 2021 model, which I believe all come standard with a heated steering wheel. If so and you want the yoke to also be heated, then I suggest asking the seller to build/ship the yoke with the extra wiring harness for the heating function already installed/ready on the yoke. That way, everything will truly be plug-n-play for you when you install it. Of course, if you don’t want or care for a heated yoke, then just order the less expensive non-heated yoke.

The only thing I’m not sure of is, for 2021 Model 3’s with the OEM supplied heated steering, will the vehicle’s computer spit out an error code/message if one installs an aftermarket yoke without the heating element wiring harness plugged into the center/base of the steering column. Someone in this forum posted about his experience with a non-heated yoke on his 2021 vehicle (which had the OEM heated wheel), and don’t recall him ever mentioning anything about getting/seeing an error message from his vehicle.

Good luck with the install and hope you enjoy it as much as I have/do!!

Reactions: LBM4 and jebinc
You’re welcome. The photo in your avatar suggests you have a 2021 model, which I believe all come standard with a heated steering wheel. If so and you want the yoke to also be heated, then I suggest asking the seller to build/ship the yoke with the extra wiring harness for the heating function already installed/ready on the yoke. That way, everything will truly be plug-n-play for you when you install it. Of course, if you don’t want or care for a heated yoke, then just order the less expensive non-heated yoke.

The only thing I’m not sure of is, for 2021 Model 3’s with the OEM supplied heated steering, will the vehicle’s computer spit out an error code/message if one installs an aftermarket yoke without the heating element wiring harness plugged into the center/base of the steering column. Someone in this forum posted about his experience with a non-heated yoke on his 2021 vehicle (which had the OEM heated wheel), and don’t recall him ever mentioning anything about getting/seeing an error message from his vehicle.

Good luck with the install and hope you enjoy it as much as I have/do!!
I live in a very hot portion of the country and it never gets below freezing, so the heated steering wheel wasn't a concern. I honestly don't even know how to turn it on at this point. 😂
But I saved the few bucks and went without the heat. Again, I thank you for the input on this. Looking forward to installing it in about 10 days!

Reactions: GreenHokie
Some of us have been trained in the proper use of American English, know how to spell, and are proud of our communicatory skills. The better of us don't give people crap about any of the above.

I’m honored that something I wrote over two months ago, and wasnt even referring to you, was so heart felt that you needed to rebuttal…. now.

Apologies if I hurt you. Wasn’t intended. Keep that Grammarly skills poppin!

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc