Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3P+ with ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Th T111P is 3.3 and that's good enough for me. Delivery end of Feb

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 4.47.48 PM.png

Slightly OT, but the model 3 LR AWD performance has a bigger battery than the non-performance LR AWD I think? Can someone confirm? I'm going off the Oregon EV rebate form which shows battery sizes for all different EVs, and it shows a different battery capacity for performance v non-performance model 3...

Ludicrous will be offered at some point but only as a new model. From my many years of Tesla ownership, it won’t be retroactive. You’ll need to buy a new car.

I'm not sure how your ownership experience actually played out but Tesla has shown full capacity to retrofit for increased performance so I wouldn't rule that possibility out at all.. for a price. I would surmise it all depends on how much hardware needs to be modified, especially in non-P AWD model 3's. If you recall, Ludicrous mode was a retrofit option for P85D owners back in 2015. See the excerpt below from Teslas Three Dog Day post. I've highlighted in red the key words...

" Luuudicrous Mode
While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles, we came up with the idea for an advanced smart fuse for the battery. Instead of a standard fuse that just melts past a certain amperage, requiring a big gap between the normal operating current and max current, we developed a fuse with its own electronics and a tiny lithium-ion battery. It constantly monitors current at the millisecond level and is pyro-actuated to cut power with extreme precision and certainty.

That was combined with upgrading the main pack contactor to use inconel (a high temperature space-grade superalloy) instead of steel, so that it remains springy under the heat of heavy current. The net result is that we can safely increase the max pack output from 1300 to 1500 Amps.

What this results in is a 10% improvement in the 0 to 60 mph time to 2.8 secs and a quarter mile time of 10.9 secs. Time to 155 mph is improved even more, resulting in a 20% reduction.

This option will cost $10k for new buyers. In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor. "

Slightly OT, but the model 3 LR AWD performance has a bigger battery than the non-performance LR AWD I think? Can someone confirm?

Nope.

LR AWD Performance (without the wheel/spoiler/brake package) is exactly the same hardware are non-performance LR AWD.

Only difference that makes one performance, one not, is software.

(and even on the P with the extra package it's the same batteries and drive units- the differences are just brakes/spoiler/wheels/tiny suspension drop- and most haven't even received the spoiler yet)

Last edited: