Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m 99% certain they will not negotiate. I’ve heard of the 30 day trade in valuation going severely down after ordering and before delivery and the purchaser has just cancelled the order because Tesla reduce to budge even by a penny.

I accepted Tesla’s trade in of £24.4K and that expires tomorrow (car not being delivered in Tesla’s estimate - now June). I’ve decided to sell privately to a mate. WBAC is now £18k for my car so I dread to think what Tesla will drop to.

I’m 99% certain they will not negotiate. I’ve heard of the 30 day trade in valuation going severely down after ordering and before delivery and the purchaser has just cancelled the order because Tesla reduce to budge even by a penny.

I accepted Tesla’s trade in of £24.4K and that expires tomorrow (car not being delivered in Tesla’s estimate - now June). I’ve decided to sell privately to a mate. WBAC is now £18k for my car so I dread to think what Tesla will drop to.
Ah, I didn't realise this. I assumed that the trade-in value that was quoted at the time you placed the order was "locked in". But your saying then that the trade-in value can drop after you've placed the order? Is that correct?

Ah, I didn't realise this. I assumed that the trade-in value that was quoted at the time you placed the order was "locked in". But your saying then that the trade-in value can drop after you've placed the order? Is that correct?
Welcome to the Tesla way!

The trade in quote is valid for 7 days. If you place an order it’s valid for 30 days.

To give you an example in December I was quoted £27.7. 6 weeks later it was £19. I ordered last month and it was £24.4. That runs out tomorrow. God knows that it will be then so selling to a mate for £23. Delivery is much later than originally quoted so the car was never going to come within the 30 days.

IMG_5435.jpeg

Thanks for that. That's disappointing! I'm contemplating ordering (not sure whether it will be a P or, more likely, an LR). Current trade-in on my 2020 P is £23k. I was planning on waiting to see if prices drop but by then the trade-in will have dropped also no doubt. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for that. That's disappointing! I'm contemplating ordering (not sure whether it will be a P or, more likely, an LR). Current trade-in on my 2020 P is £23k. I was planning on waiting to see if prices drop but by then the trade-in will have dropped also no doubt. Thanks for the info.
Like me you are taking a leap of faith because your car will not be delivered within the 30 days period (unless you go for white possibly). My PCP final payment is £23 so if Tesla change their offer from £24.4 to below the PCP I will end up paying them to have my car.

I've only done trade-ins three times when buying another car. Twice with Tesla and once with Land Rover. Both had similar conditions. What I can say is when we traded in at Tesla for our 2019 M3P the delivery was well beyond the 30 days (and we even extended delivery near the end due to being on holiday) and Tesla neither exercised the 30-day right to alter the price nor held us to the mileage limit. Similar with our other trade-in with Tesla although we took delivery when they were ready with no delay on the MYLR (still well beyond the 30 days). YMMV and most likely will.

On other occasions we have used the trade-in value, that we were otherwise prepared to accept, as the figure when selling to friends. They knew they were getting a good value and we would have sold at that price anyway.

Reactions: Pagemakers
All very interesting. I wonder if it depends on the way prices are going whether Tesla exercise their right to revise the trade-in value? Obviously if a revised trade-in is higher (probably unlikely) it's in their interest to not change it. Ho-hum. Unfortunately I don't have any friends in the market for a 2020 M3P!

I've only done trade-ins three times when buying another car. Twice with Tesla and once with Land Rover. Both had similar conditions. What I can say is when we traded in at Tesla for our 2019 M3P the delivery was well beyond the 30 days (and we even extended delivery near the end due to being on holiday) and Tesla neither exercised the 30-day right to alter the price nor held us to the mileage limit. Similar with our other trade-in with Tesla although we took delivery when they were ready with no delay on the MYLR (still well beyond the 30 days). YMMV and most likely will.

On other occasions we have used the trade-in value, that we were otherwise prepared to accept, as the figure when selling to friends. They knew they were getting a good value and we would have sold at that price anyway.
May have changed now. My 30 days ran out yesterday and now the app shows this. It wants we to do the whole trade in process again.

IMG_5452.jpeg

What's wrong with keeping our original M3P cars?

... am I on my own here?

Keeping it to get some value out of the thing, only had it 2.5 years, seems like yesterday when I picked it up... :D
Absolutely nothing wrong at all and I don't doubt it's the financially sensible thing to do. My reasons for considering an update to a newer model is only because my 2020 M3P missed out on a few of the features which would be quite nice to have - matrix headlights for example. However, at virtually £60k, a new M3HP is stretching things a bit. I'm retired and finance my cars nowadays by spending savings. My outgoings are minimal but my income, from pensions, is low by modern standards, though I do still seem to put money back into savings most months. But with my current car valued at £23K by Tesla it leaves some £39K to find (I want Ultra Red paint) and I can't justify it to myself somehow.....

Reactions: PITA
Absolutely nothing wrong at all and I don't doubt it's the financially sensible thing to do. My reasons for considering an update to a newer model is only because my 2020 M3P missed out on a few of the features which would be quite nice to have - matrix headlights for example. However, at virtually £60k, a new M3HP is stretching things a bit. I'm retired and finance my cars nowadays by spending savings. My outgoings are minimal but my income, from pensions, is low by modern standards, though I do still seem to put money back into savings most months. But with my current car valued at £23K by Tesla it leaves some £39K to find (I want Ultra Red paint) and I can't justify it to myself somehow.....

I was just 'lucky' with that as I got the 2021 M3P that was Made in China.

Matrix Headlights, Powered Boot, Panasonic Battery, Parking Sensors, Indicator Stalks, Heat Pump, Mechanical Suspension, Laminate Side Glass...

It should in theory be a keeper... as there's nothing compelling to get rid of it...

Oh... and free Road Tax with no Luxury Car Tax. Road Tax costs won't kick in until March 2026

Last edited:
... and at the low prices for older M3P car trade-ins I'm reading about on here, I'm more inclined to get the lowest possible legal trade-in price quotation... and sell it to myself for those peanuts... rather than give it away.

Keep the HMRC off my back, and pay very little Corporation Tax. Then no BIK Tax.

Really think if you have one currently, waiting for a new battery that will really unlock the performance properly makes sense. I mean just today reading that Mercedes expect in 2026 to have a Silicon-anode battery for the new G-Class EV that will be up to 40% more energy dense than the battery it's being released with.

Of course I imagine this battery might be quite expensive initially but if they want to compete with the Chinese who a few of those car companies also make their own very high-tech batteries, they are going to have to keep pushing forwards on this. I think Elon's view a few years ago was 300 miles is the sweet spot and you stick to that and reduce prices however I think the reality is range can increase and prices also drop.

Back to this car, probably in next 2 - 3 years tops I think they'll have a battery put in the cars from China that will unlock the full performance plus have a bit more range to boot.

What's wrong with keeping our original M3P cars?

... am I on my own here?

Keeping it to get some value out of the thing, only had it 2.5 years, seems like yesterday when I picked it up... :D
100% here, have never considered changing any car before the end of PCP as everyone I've owned has had to be returned by VT (voluntary termination) as none have ever been worth more than their outstanding finance. This has applied to my last 2 VW's and mine and my wife's Audi's.

Except for the blip in 2022 when second hand prices went bizarre and we all made a killing there!!

Plus I've spent a pretty penny on upgrades, powder coating my original wheels and have bought a set of winter wheels which have plenty of tread left 😉.

I get it if you're at the end of term, tough choices to make.

But, not solely a Tesla issue, there will always be something better around the corner alledgedly? I remember the anxiety of everone on here with their new MY's not having a parcel shelf, then it did, or a heat pump on the M3, or Ryzen, or losing USS. The list goes on and on.

Sadly you win some you lose some as those who just purchased before the M3LR and RWD interest rate dropped throwing their dollies out. If it went the other way there would be silence...

Crystal ball anyone?

Reactions: Dan84