Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model + Battery Abbreviations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Now that we have Xs being delivered and spotted on the road, we should determine how we are abbreviate our cars.

Thus far, I've called mine an S85 for "non-Performance, 85 kWh, RWD". Now, the 40s, 60s, and 85s are easy, but what happens for the 70 and 90?

Do we say S90D for "Model S, non-Performance, 90 kWh, Dual Motor"? If so, then we can use X90D for the Model X of the same.

But what about the performance models? Most people say they have a P90D or P90D or P90DL (ludicrous). But that won't resolve whether it's a Model S or X unless enough context is there. Do we say SP90DL (or underline instead of "L"), XP90DL, S90D, X90D, S70D, X70D, S90, S85, S60?

As you point out, the P models are the ones that will be the main issue. I guess XP90D, X P90D, or something along those lines would be acceptable for that.

The non-Ps already have a convention where S is used in the front, so replacing that with X will make the context clear.

As you point out, the P models are the ones that will be the main issue. I guess XP90D, X P90D, or something along those lines would be acceptable for that.

The non-Ps already have a convention where S is used in the front, so replacing that with X will make the context clear.
One thing I found interesting is that apparently Tesla internally doesn't refer to them as, for example, the S85D - I had several Tesla people be puzzled when I called my first car an "S60" - one of them pointed out that "oh, my mother is driving a Volvo, too".
So according to the Tesla people I've asked, It's Model S and Model X - and then what's on the badge. So it's a "60" or a "70D" or a "P90D". And when unsure you'll have to add Model S or Model X to it.

One thing I found interesting is that apparently Tesla internally doesn't refer to them as, for example, the S85D - I had several Tesla people be puzzled when I called my first car an "S60" - one of them pointed out that "oh, my mother is driving a Volvo, too".
So according to the Tesla people I've asked, It's Model S and Model X - and then what's on the badge. So it's a "60" or a "70D" or a "P90D". And when unsure you'll have to add Model S or Model X to it.
Yes, officially the S prefix doesn't apply. But for the purposes of communication on the forum, it is useful shorthand (no one wants to type Model S 60 when when they can type S60), esp. now that there is a Model X.