Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm.. something doesn't add up. The data gives me a pretty high confidence there was pack involvement. And the driver claims he hit something, but the shielding should be darn near impenetrable.

1 of those 3 things must be wrong!

Unless the pack failed on its own, and the burst panels caused a noise that the driver assumed was him hitting something. This is obviously worst case possible event scenario, but also the lowest likelihood.

Unless something penetrated the frunk and caused a 440V short (is that possible? Would that start a fire?) ...but they have systems to detect problems and battery disconnect too ... Pyrotechnic High Voltage Battery Disconnect - Patent application

Here are pics of the inner workings of the frunk and an isolated battery pack.

The battery pack can be seen in the frunk picture aft of the orange cables that go to the AC unit.
photo 2 (1).JPG

The most forward portion of the battery pack showing the word "TESLA" is the hump furthest away from the camera in the battery pack picture.

photo 3 (1).JPG

And here is a picture showing that the hump is, indeed, the more forward portion of the pack.
photo (5).JPG

A. main pack was involved in the fire (as I believe the evidence points to)
Can you please point to the evidence of this? Doesn't seem like there is.

I'd like to point out that there are many types of coolant/antifreeze that is flammable and the coolant reservoirs are all up front where the fire happened. Seems no one has mentioned this.

And any sort of short (low voltage 12V) can easily cause a fire. We've seen that happen with many vehicles. And as mentioned, the plastic, carpet, and wiring in the frunk serves as fuel too.

If the battery disconnected, how would he have driven off the highway? Just from the momentum?

The system that disconnects the main battery from the 12v system is the "pyro fuse". This fuse blows when the airbags deploy. No evidence of an airbag deployment that I can see. He may have still had drivetrain power to get off the freeway after the car's systems told him to pull over.

Had a feeling you didn't by your negative tone. Always easy to stand on the sideline and cast stones. These are cars so chill out--ALL manufacturers have some issue or another from time to time.

Might want to be careful with the tone, as some might think you are trolling, especially since you don't even own one.

Ownership of a car is irrelevant. 60 vs. P85+ is irrelevant. Though I would wager interested non-owners are probably more objective than owners honeymooning over their car.

I've posted a mix of positive and negative messages, including questions to learn more about the issues. I like being a critical, informed consumer. I like Tesla, taking the bad with the good, and I hope they succeed in making everyone want their EVs. I don't see the point in playing ostrich as issues present themselves. Some might find gratification cheerleading the car, I don't. (Nor do I relish pointing out the imperfections)

We know why ICE cars have fires. We don't know why Model S's have fires, which is why this thread is 2 dozen pages already, and why it's so interesting.

Ownership of a car is irrelevant. 60 vs. P85+ is irrelevant. Though I would wager interested non-owners are probably more objective than owners honeymooning over their car.

I've posted a mix of positive and negative messages, including questions to learn more about the issues. I like being a critical, informed consumer. I like Tesla, taking the bad with the good, and I hope they succeed in making everyone want their EVs. I don't see the point in playing ostrich as issues present themselves. Some might find gratification cheerleading the car, I don't. (Nor do I relish pointing out the imperfections)

We know why ICE cars have fires. We don't know why Model S's have fires, which is why this thread is 2 dozen pages already, and why it's so interesting.
So then why do you keep insisting that the Battery Pack spontaneously combusted? You sure sound like a naysayer to me... It's like you are enjoying rubbing our faces in this. I call that trolling. You can act like you are impartial but your responses and tone in this thread (and most of your other posts) say otherwise. You aren't fooling anyone.

ETA: Anyone who is wondering where this guy is coming from, check out what MOST of his 80 posts are about. He's in almost every single thread where any type of problem exists with the MS and he is delightfully fanning the flames. He's a hater. So take anything he says with a huge grain of salt...

Right, since there are over 200000 car fires a year, this IS irrelevant.

News flash pal--Cars can catch fire.

Look forward to more of your outsider opinions.

Note: In my opinion a low number Sig owner has no nefarious intent. I fully believe that a metal object on the ground could rupture the battery pack.

Personal story: When I was very young my father stuck a metal pipe on the ground in the middle of nowhere puncturing his gas tank. Our indication was watching the gas gauge drop fairly rapidly. My father floored the car to get us to a gas station within the next 5 minutes as we arrived the nearly full tank was empty. In retrospect this was probably a very unsafe thing to do but we arrived safely and had to spend the day in a small town while the gas tank was repaired.

An ICE gas tank can't be compared to the Model S battery pack.

Well that makes two of you (you and CO).

I still don't think we have any evidence supporting that theory. I can dream up all kinds of scenarios where the pack is involved in the drama, but that's something else entirely.

Here's what triangulates me to that conclusion:

1. Tesla's statement about the battery pack architecture protecting the car.
2. Wall St. sources saying they confirmed w/ the company it was the battery (let's see if any are gutsy enough to publish tomorrow!!)
3. Tesla's lack of stating the pack was NOT involved in the fire.
4. The fire department had trouble putting out the fire and it kept re-igniting.
5. Watching the video, the flames seem to come from the wheel wells, on both sides. consistent with the apparent venting structure of the pack.

An obvious competing theory doesn't even present itself. We can rule out collision with another car. We can rule out stuff in the frunk. I'm open to other possibilities, but what's left other than the infinite number of unobvious unknowns?

From AP Wires (also on Seattle Times website):

"In documents obtained by The Associated Press under Washington state public records law, firefighters describe their struggle to extinguish the flames burning a Model S car near Seattle on Tuesday.
Firefighters say in an incident narrative that the car fire appeared to be extinguished but then reignited, leading them to dismantle the front end of the vehicle. They used a jack to lift the vehicle and a circular saw to gain access to the burning battery pack."

The system that disconnects the main battery from the 12v system is the "pyro fuse". This fuse blows when the airbags deploy. No evidence of an airbag deployment that I can see. He may have still had drivetrain power to get off the freeway after the car's systems told him to pull over.

What about in the case that the 12V is damaged, would the main battery still feed power to it?

If a short in the battery pack was the cause of the fire,
1) it would unlikely be able to supply enough power to get off the highway, and
2) It would have taken longer to put out,
3) The fire department would have put out a press release simply on that,
4) there would be heat and possible distortions from under the car where the object would have hit it.
5) the car safety system would have been more specific in its warning
6) Driver would have probably heard the loud thump heard by owners who experience the dead 12v battery issue as the system would have triggered that.
7) the whole incident would likely have been more catastrophic.

Just my 2cents.

Found a copy of the Kent Fire Authority report on

Tesla Model S Driver Hits Object On HOV Lane Near Kent, Washington, Car Smokes, Catches Fire; Is Lithium Battery Dangerous? [VIDEO]

image.tiff

It is a little unclear but seems to me to suggest that it is the conventional small 12V battery that was at fault, even though they make reference to the "battery pack". Interesting read, but no reason to short the stock.

Good find. Whatever started the fire, this reads like the firefighters were dealing with a burning 12v which is not a surprise.