Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.....go find the car and take pictures and dig up actual facts and details...

The car is somebody's private property and I'm guessing it will soon belong to the insurance company. Nobody, except the insurance company and NHTSA has any rights to inspect the vehicle, photograph it or whatever. In all honesty, if the driver and/or insurance company don't voluntarily agree then even Tesla doesn't have the right to get hold of the car.

I'm not disturbed by the fact that running over something metal disables the car... or even if the car EVENTUALLY caught fire like with the volt; However, the timeline is deeply disturbing. I appears that SFD was on-scene in 3 minutes and found the car already on fire. From the video it appears that the front wheels are burning, probably ignited by the battery. That means that from the time the debris was run over to the time the wheel caught fire was <10 minutes. I really really hope that Tesla has a good answer for what happened. This deserves an in-depth technical response even more so than Broder. They need to show that this was a "perfect storm" 1 in a million event or some kind of pre-existing flaw with this particular car. I think I'll be adding a fire extinguisher to my trunk... probably should have one anyway since the other cars on the road ARE MORE combustible than my MS.

Official quote from Tesla Motors

As you know, we have a great relationship with Tesla Motors, and we've just received the following two quotes from Liz Jarvis-Shean. They've been made elsewhere but offered here for completeness:

"On Tuesday, a Model S collided with a large metallic object in the middle of the road, causing significant damage to the vehicle. The car's alert system signaled a problem and instructed the driver to pull over safely, which he did. No one was injured, and the sole occupant had sufficient time to exit the vehicle safely and call the authorities. Subsequently, a fire caused by the substantial damage sustained during the collision was contained to the front of the vehicle thanks to the design and construction of the vehicle and battery pack. All indications are that the fire never entered the interior cabin of the car. It was extinguished on-site by the fire department."

"The fire was caused by the direct impact of a large metallic object to one of the 16 modules within the Model S battery pack. Because each module within the battery pack is, by design, isolated by fire barriers to limit any potential damage, the fire in the battery pack was contained to a small section in the front of the vehicle."

MPT
Partner, Tesla Motors Club LLC

No, but I can remove it from the trunk and hopefully use it to keep anything else from catching fire... or extinguish an ICE fire; if anyone is in danger... if not, burn baby burn... one less ICE.

If the driver of that Sig had an extinguisher to keep the battery fire from spreading he "might" have been able to save the car.

I'm not disturbed by the fact that running over something metal disables the car... or even if the car EVENTUALLY caught fire like with the volt; However, the timeline is deeply disturbing. I appears that SFD was on-scene in 3 minutes and found the car already on fire. From the video it appears that the front wheels are burning, probably ignited by the battery. That means that from the time the debris was run over to the time the wheel caught fire was <10 minutes. I really really hope that Tesla has a good answer for what happened. This deserves an in-depth technical response even more so than Broder. They need to show that this was a "perfect storm" 1 in a million event or some kind of pre-existing flaw with this particular car. I think I'll be adding a fire extinguisher to my trunk... probably should have one anyway since the other cars on the road ARE MORE combustible than my MS.

Oh brother... Take a chill pill dude. There was a minor car fire. BFD. This will be forgotten by Saturday. The only reason it's "news" is because it affects the stock. Which is rebounding nicely thank you.

Oh brother... Take a chill pill dude. There was a minor car fire. BFD.
I think he's sufficiently chill, at least with the way I read his post. Also, whether it's considered minor or not I think he makes a good point that the "what you're left with" after the event (collision with road debris) might have been far better if he had a fire extinguisher put to good use before the authorities arrived. I'm not sure if in my case I'd have made the right choices on "good use" in the case of Model S, but that's a different discussion that I think might be worth putting in one of our FAQs or wikis at some point. Hopefully some of our experts will collate the knowns and propose some best practices to start off that topic.

I am tremendously relieved that no one was injured... but, the fact that this car became involved so quickly is disturbing. Had this been a more serious accident in which the occupants were incapacitated it's unlikely they could have been extricated in time. The fact the the fire never entered the cabin can probably be attributed more to the quick response of the SFD than to vehicle construction. The rear of the vehicle was completely obscured by flames, I doubt it would have been long.

As a share holder and MS owner I feel that Tesla owes me/us an answer; How did this fire spread so quickly? I understand that any ICE could have suffered as bad or a worse fate... that's not the point. This isn't supposed to be possible; those 18650s are supposed to be surrounded by coolant and fire retardant. How is it that the entire front of the car was engulfed in <10 minutes? I know the analysis of what happened will take time but it needs to happen or this will haunt Tesla.

That's exactly what you're doing. Worthy of Jalopnik, not here.

now you are adding more for no reason..:cool:

all we want to know the details.. what kind of metallic object can create such damage to frunk with 5 star rating vehicle.. it is solid car all around.. (tesla will release but truth should come out no patch up)

if not wrong model s was rated 5.5 for safety..so very curious to know...

Without protective fire-proof gear, I'm not sure I'd want to be that close to a burning car (ICE or BEV). That's what firemen are for...

That's why you use the extinguisher to keep the fire from getting to that point... If there's a small fire in your office and you have a fire extinguisher then you should quickly try to put it out... after pulling the fire alarm. If that fails THEN run away and wait for the Pros.

I think he makes a good point that the "what you're left with" after the event (collision with road debris) might have been far better if he had a fire extinguisher put to good use before the authorities arrived.

Two thoughts:

1. Untrained folks can get in a lot of difficulties fighting fires on their own.

2. I had an old Hillman Imp many,many years ago. The car was older than me, but one day a cracked head led to an small fire which I put out with an extinguisher. I ended up dealing with the mechanical repairs at my own expense which was a PITA. It was going to cost me more than the car was worth and in the end I just scrapped it......Plenty of friends pointed out to me afterwards that I should have let the darn thing burn and taken the insurance payout.

I am tremendously relieved that no one was injured... but, the fact that this car became involved so quickly is disturbing. Had this been a more serious accident in which the occupants were incapacitated it's unlikely they could have been extricated in time. The fact the the fire never entered the cabin can probably be attributed more to the quick response of the SFD than to vehicle construction. The rear of the vehicle was completely obscured by flames, I doubt it would have been long.

As a share holder and MS owner I feel that Tesla owes me/us an answer; How did this fire spread so quickly? I understand that any ICE could have suffered as bad or a worse fate... that's not the point. This isn't supposed to be possible; those 18650s are supposed to be surrounded by coolant and fire retardant. How is it that the entire front of the car was engulfed in <10 minutes? I know the analysis of what happened will take time but it needs to happen or this will haunt Tesla.

you nail it down very well... that's all we want to know..