Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have bad news for some people. There will always be battery fires. If you drive a stick into a battery, chances are very good you create a short and all the energy contained in that little space is violently released.

To expect the opposite is to expect gravity will stop working one day. The only thing a car manufacturer can do is try to contain the risk (and the fire). And by all measures, the Tesla performed wonderfully here: it detected the fault, the driver could pull over and get out, and even when the fire started spreading it was contained to the front of the vehicle.

This is a big deal because something happened that should not have been possible. If this car had been towed away and burned to the ground tomorrow that would suck but it would be "acceptable". For a piece of road debris to cause a fire this quickly... we need answers or this will fester.

A few years ago my Dodge Shadow's engine lit itself on fire while I was stopped at a stop light, so I think a fire after hitting significant debris at highway speed is definitely in the realm of possibility.

As for as delayed fires, they are hardly "acceptable". If I hit some debris on the road, then park in my garage for the night, the last thing I want is the car to start a fire and burn down the house.

There will always be fires and accidents. So far the Tesla has shown to be designed and build to handle those situations very well.

Our first (public) Lithium fire. Hopefully the insult to battery housing will survive so a good postmortem can follow. Or, more than likely, the heat intensity took out that specific area completely. Gratifying that ~80% of battery remained. It was given every opportunity to go 'fireworks factory' on us, but the barriers held. TM emerges the victor.
--

Just saw this on Twitter for $TSLA....I need more popcorn!

Desk Dealer@HedgeyeAC 5m $TSLA Local law enforcement now believe the tesla crash and fire was staged -sources

NOTE: This is unconfirmed as there are no sources quoted

Last edited:

Desk Dealer@HedgeyeAC 5m $TSLA Local law enforcement now believe the tesla crash and fire was staged -sources

If that is true, that certainly is even bigger news. Guess we should wait on confirmation before speculating on motivations........Ok, waited long enough. Insurance fraud?

If you read the thread and came upon CapitalistOppressor's posts you would know that the Model S was made to protect the cabin if a fire were to ever occur. One of the positive results of this event is that the Model S did what it was supposed to do. The fire was vented through the front of the car and the cabin was untouched. In addition to that the car warned the driver in advance and he was able to pull the car over and exit well before he was in danger. There is redundancy to protect passengers from fire in this car.

Apparently, some people will only be satisfied if Tesla adopts a fire extinguishing system on the car itself that authomatically senses puts out any fire, no matter where it starts, within seconds and allows the car to continue driving without any need to pull over. Matter of fact, I want that retrofit for my car, I want it done today, and I want it done for free. And if I don't get it, then I'm going to complain that when I had my BMW, they used to do things like that for me and why is Tesla's customer service so poor.

Would be a brilliant short move...hope it is illegal in some way and the short that did it gets prosecuted to the fullest if this turns out to be the case.

Class Action suit

It is telling how crazy this is when a law firm in NY is already looking into whether they should put together a class action lawsuit because Tesla execs claimed the Model S was the safest car ever built after the crash-testing data was released. That they would even consider a suit is both funny and sad. They won't get anywhere but will get a lot of silly press.

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Investigates Claims On Behalf of Investors of Tesla Motors, Inc. - TSLA - Yahoo Finance

It is telling how crazy this is when a law firm in NY is already looking into whether they should put together a class action lawsuit because Tesla execs claimed the Model S was the safest car ever built after the crash-testing data was released. That they would even consider a suit is both funny and sad. They won't get anywhere but will get a lot of silly press.

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Investigates Claims On Behalf of Investors of Tesla Motors, Inc. - TSLA - Yahoo Finance

already posted earlier in this thread...and yes it's sad, but about what I would expect from people like that.

You can join me, got a extra large :wink:

popcorn_yes.gif