TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S at ButtonWillow Raceway

Discussion in 'Video' started by Swe, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Swe

Swe New Member

#1 Swe, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    11 minutes video of Tesla S racing against ICE cars. Nice one.

2. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

#2 mnx, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I think the speedometer superimposed on the screen must mean km/h not mph. Either that or it's totally inaccurate. :)

3. moollar

moollar Member

I'm guessing it's totally inaccurate. There's no way he'd be "racing" at such low speeds (if it was km/h).

4. JST

JST Active Member

Why inaccurate? Have not been to Buttonwillow but those speeds seemed plausible based on the video.

So weird to see Model S track day vids--keep waiting for the engine noise.

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

It accelerated more like a Mclaren than a Model S based on the #'s jumping around. The speed jumped to 130mph effortlessly...

6. JST

JST Active Member

Oh, I see--yes, there are a couple of places where the numbers get very wonky, but overall they seem in line with expectations.

7. sbroker

sbroker Member

Cool video. How does a device like this actually work and what's the dot jumping around represent?

8. JST

JST Active Member

Accelerometers and GPS. The dot represents Gee forces; acceleration, deceleration, and cornering. You can buy apps that use the accelerometers and GPS in your phone to do this.

9. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Boy that looks like fun. I'm also thinking new set a tires might be needed after that.

10. wolfpet

wolfpet Member

Awesome!!! Can't stop watching :smile:

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I've raced at Buttonwillow but in a car that had just a fraction of the power and torque of a Model S. Looks like you had a blast! You sure blew by that black Porsche easily after turn two. Thanks for sharing the experience.

So how much charge did you lose after how many laps? Did you recharge there to get home? I know the Tejon SC isn't far away but track driving must drain the battery fairly rapidly.

12. JST

JST Active Member

If you all haven't tried a track day/DE, do it. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I'm not sure the Model S would be my choice, given the size, weight, potential difficulties with recharging at the track, and so forth--but you should try it in something.

13. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Track driving definitely drains the battery rapidly. Think like 1600Wh/mile!
    I can get back and forth to my local track (~50km away) and get in ~18 laps. That's not even half an hour of track driving.. At least there's a 70A j1772 there now that I helped to install. :)

14. JST

JST Active Member

Just as true in an ICE car, of course--I expect between 4 and 5 mpg in my 3.2L Boxster. Typical track day requires 1.5/1.25 tanks of fuel. Of course, the big difference is in the time it takes to refuel...

15. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

That looks like a helluva lot of fun! Wish we had a track like that here in Hawaii.

16. Swe

Swe New Member

Just to clarify. I´m not the one driving.
    I just found this video and thought that it would be appreciated by mos Tesla lovers, like me :wink:

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

For those that didn't watch the whole video, skip forward to 9:45. The drama happens at around 10:10 but the setup is around 9:45.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks as we, didn't realize you were not the driver.

brianman I watched that part of the video and I had a very similar experience once cresting that little hill someone had spin out just in front of me and dust obscured the track, I almost hit another car.

Doing that track in a Model S would be awesome. I wonder if anyone has done it in a Roadster.