Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S at ButtonWillow Raceway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the speedometer superimposed on the screen must mean km/h not mph. Either that or it's totally inaccurate. :)

Why inaccurate? Have not been to Buttonwillow but those speeds seemed plausible based on the video.

So weird to see Model S track day vids--keep waiting for the engine noise.

Accelerometers and GPS. The dot represents Gee forces; acceleration, deceleration, and cornering. You can buy apps that use the accelerometers and GPS in your phone to do this.

I've raced at Buttonwillow but in a car that had just a fraction of the power and torque of a Model S. Looks like you had a blast! You sure blew by that black Porsche easily after turn two. Thanks for sharing the experience.

So how much charge did you lose after how many laps? Did you recharge there to get home? I know the Tejon SC isn't far away but track driving must drain the battery fairly rapidly.

If you all haven't tried a track day/DE, do it. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I'm not sure the Model S would be my choice, given the size, weight, potential difficulties with recharging at the track, and so forth--but you should try it in something.

I've raced at Buttonwillow but in a car that had just a fraction of the power and torque of a Model S. Looks like you had a blast! You sure blew by that black Porsche easily after turn two. Thanks for sharing the experience.

So how much charge did you lose after how many laps? Did you recharge there to get home? I know the Tejon SC isn't far away but track driving must drain the battery fairly rapidly.

Track driving definitely drains the battery rapidly. Think like 1600Wh/mile!
I can get back and forth to my local track (~50km away) and get in ~18 laps. That's not even half an hour of track driving.. At least there's a 70A j1772 there now that I helped to install. :)

Track driving definitely drains the battery rapidly. Think like 1600Wh/mile!
I can get back and forth to my local track (~50km away) and get in ~18 laps. That's not even half an hour of track driving.. At least there's a 70A j1772 there now that I helped to install. :)

Just as true in an ICE car, of course--I expect between 4 and 5 mpg in my 3.2L Boxster. Typical track day requires 1.5/1.25 tanks of fuel. Of course, the big difference is in the time it takes to refuel...

Just to clarify. I´m not the one driving.
I just found this video and thought that it would be appreciated by mos Tesla lovers, like me :wink:

Okay, thanks as we, didn't realize you were not the driver.

brianman I watched that part of the video and I had a very similar experience once cresting that little hill someone had spin out just in front of me and dust obscured the track, I almost hit another car.

Doing that track in a Model S would be awesome. I wonder if anyone has done it in a Roadster.