Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S beta passed 150,000 miles on a single battery pack!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guessing it's at least ~80%? So 240, since I'm also guessing they did this with the 85kWh battery. Also, I thought that the warranty stated at least 80% range and was posted somewhere, but can't find the link.

AFAIK, Tesla hasn't tied the battery warranty with the range at any time during the warranty period; as of now, defects with the pack should be covered but, no guarantees on the range during or at the end of the 8 years / 100K-125K-unlimited miles.

I assume that was on a dyno/road simulator. So going 833 miles isn't that bad if it's unmanned. Could run it all day and charge it at 20kwh all night (or visa versa). Or even switch back and forth more often. If they really ONLY did 833mi per day that would suggest to me that it's not DC charging, unless they can't run it unsupervised at night.

This is great news! Hopefully there will be more details of this 150,000mile achievement. A lot of people I talk to keep mention the erroneous statement that the battery would be useless around 100,00miles or less. Really annoying having to deal with misinformation.

On another note, I wonder what the highest mileage Roadster is.

Elon via Twitter said:
The Model S beta endurance car just passed 150,000 miles on a single battery pack!
All of us said:
What's the battery range now?
Must have been using the DC charger. (Or not.)
What other conditions were in effect? Air Conditioning, actual road miles or test bed, etc. would help.
I also wonder if it's 150k miles at a steady speed or at a variety of starts and stops

Give a mouse a cookie, and it's going to want a glass of milk :biggrin:

100,000 mile battery warranty doesn't mean it will last that long, just that it's warranted for that long. It implies that it has been engineered to, and will, last that long, but doesn't mean it will. I'd rather see those miles actually accumulate. Are there any comparable resuls for leaf owners? What is the highest mileage on a leaf and subsequently what kind of range are they now left with and what is their driving style. Maybe we can extrapolate that to the 150,000 miles on the S battery.

Very glad to see this and can't wait for the additional details regarding the 150,000 miles.

100,000 mile battery warranty doesn't mean it will last that long, just that it's warranted for that long. It implies that it has been engineered to, and will, last that long, but doesn't mean it will. I'd rather see those miles actually accumulate. Are there any comparable resuls for leaf owners? What is the highest mileage on a leaf and subsequently what kind of range are they now left with and what is their driving style. Maybe we can extrapolate that to the 150,000 miles on the S battery.

Very glad to see this and can't wait for the additional details regarding the 150,000 miles.
You can't extrapolate battery life between a Leaf and a Model S because of the significantly different battery chemistry between the two (which means completely different cycle life characteristics). Plus the thermal management and battery capacity between the two is also completely different.

You can however, extrapolate from the Roadster, by factoring in the difference in capacity/efficiency (if you care about the miles only then you need to know the range possible from a full 0-100% cycle). For example, a Roadster that traveled 100k miles means 500 cycles assuming 200 miles of range per full cycle.

500 cycles on a 160 mile Model S means 500*160= 80k mi, 500*230 mile = 115k mi, 500*300 mile = 150k mi

Without knowing at least the battery capacity/range on the 150k mile Model S (is it the 40kWh/160mi, 65kWh/230mi or 85kWh/300mi version?), it's hard to figure out the cycle life and extrapolate to all the different Model S versions.